Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NMUgrad ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 08:21PM

It's been so long that I'm confident that few people here will remember me but I was a regular poster in the mid-aughts and, in the off-chance that some of the old-timers are still around, I just wanted to give a quick shout-out.

DW and I are still together and the kids are now 6 and 10. I am still in the Army and we are currently in Virginia but will be headed to lovely Ft. Knox in the summer.

I learned the hard way that there is no "one size fits all" way to make a mixed marriage work. In the beginning, we both dug in our heels and attacked each other's respective positions with spite, derision, and bitterness. In hindsight, it's no wonder that we came so close to the brink. Over time, though, we have come to a loving acceptance of each other and a resignation that neither of us is going to change our minds.

For many years, I flat out boycotted everything to do with TSCC. Then it occurred to me that most of my family and a good portion of my friends are still TBM and I would not burst into flames if I went to Trunk or Treat or a ward Christmas party. Hell, I even baptized my daughter a couple years back (not wearing garments or having paid a dime in tithing in over five years). I have done these things because they hold meaning to my family, if not to me, and they allow me to spend some time with them and I no longer feel my ass pucker whenever I get within 100 yards of a Mormon chapel. Toward that end, when we moved here, I started attending SM and SS 2-3x a month. DW understands exactly why I am there and has no delusions that my "heart is softening." But here's the thing, the fact that I am there for her and the kids has led to a significant de-escalation and things have never been better between us.

I fully understand that some more militant exmos might think I've sold out and that I'm not being true to myself but I don't really give a shit. I left TSCC and I kept my family intact. Mission successful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 08:28PM

Glad to know you are doing well. All you can do is what you feel is best for your family and that sounds like it is successful. Good luck going forward :)

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 08:29PM

Wow! Far out, I used to read your posts back awhile ago. Good to hear you are doing well. We all have to bite thebullett for peace sometimes.i have thought of you about a month ago andwas wondering how you were. Welcome back, for however long you are here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.