Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:44PM

Whatever happened to 99 weeks of unemployment? Next week I'm going to VOC rehab about work!!isn't that amount a pittance or what!??I have no intentions of putting it in the morg hand for tithing!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:25PM

It should be at least a year.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:30PM

How long you receive benefits depends on how long you worked for the company, though it does top out eventually. I was on unemployment twice in the past 5 years and each time my benefit amount was based off of my salary and the length of benefits was based off of how long I had been with the company.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:38PM

Dunno if it's still the case, but the unemployment rules a couple years back were based on how high unemployment was in your state. States with higher unemployment were funded to give unemployed persons lengthier benefits.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:44PM

I am very excited for you! They did not try to not pay or claim firing! You're IN!

Date: March 12, 2014 12:01AM

My tbm dad says he's not sure if I'm or not. We'll know for sure on Thursday next week!!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 09:54PM

After the 22 weeks, can you apply for an extension?

Date: March 11, 2014 11:20PM

I hope so!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:09AM

I do believe that's the case, SII. Inquire about possible extensions the next time you are at the unemployment office.

Posted by: anonman ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:01AM

Sounds right to me.

You were working PT, correct? That is enough to keep you from starving while still providing motivation to find something else. That is how unemployment is suppose to work. It isn't suppose to support you until you get around to finding a job. It is a minimal lifeline.

Posted by: Mortimer ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:03AM

Why aren't you writing about your efforts to get a new job rather than bitching about the time limit you have for doing nothing?

Eastern Montana and Western North Dakota have thousands of job openings of all kinds. Oil related and every industry and business that supports it. McDonalds even pays $18 an hour there.

So get off you butt and find a job.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:26PM

Yeah, 'cause 100% employment in the norm right? Jesus, so many jobs just waiting to be filled.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 12:14AM

You have to report on jobs you applied for every week to keep the unemployment. In Utah, the minimum was three. Be sure you do that.

Posted by: Danxx ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:31AM

Don't be a weight to society. Make efforts to help the world become better, not take from it as you please.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:19AM

He's not being a weight to society. You know all those taxes that were taken out of his paychecks? He's getting that money back! That's why we pay those taxes. So when we are the one who loses our job, there's a bit of a safety net there. That's humane, and moral and just.

Calling someone who PAID INTO a system and is then reaping the benefit of that system a "weight to society" is despicable. Where's your empathy? Have you no compassion? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:03PM

This. He's getting back the money he PAID into unemployment when that was deducted as shown on his paycheck stubs. Unemployment is designed to help those who lose their job through no fault of their own with basic living expenses until they find another job. People on unemployment also have to report to the office to show that they're actually applying for jobs, or they lose that income. In a way, it's like the Morg's welfare program, as it's meant to be a temporary thing to help people get back to work. The goal of unemployment is to get people working again.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:13AM

My husband worked full time, non-stop for 32 YEARS before he was let go due to company downsizing.

After working for 32 years of FULL time employment, he was able to get the MAXIMUM that our state allowed -- $253 per week for only 26 WEEKS!

This was in 2006.

In 2008 -- as part of Obama's TEMPORARY Stimulus package -- they TEMPORARILY lengthened the amount of time that a person could get unemployment. At one brief moment in time, in SOME STATES, it got up to 99 weeks. But that didn't last but a year or so, then it was gradually knocked back down.

In most states, I believe the amount of time one can collect unemployment is back to what it was from the time unemployment was first established in this country (which was AFTER World War 2, at least at the national level), and that is 26 weeks in most states.

The amount you are paid is determined by how much you were earning before you went on unemployment. Because you were working part time, Southern Idaho Inactive, you would not have been making as much money as a full time worker. Therefore your check would be smaller.

But even for a person who works full time and has to support a wife and kids on their paycheck, in most states the maximum check would be $300 or less.

At least you don't have kids to support on that pittance, or a mortgage to pay least you loose your house and your kids end up on the street. You have no idea how many families that exact thing has happened to -- families I know personally.

It could be worse than you have it.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:08PM

Cool, when I was let go I wasn't allowed to draw unemployment.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:41PM

With all your health problems you should file for disability instead.

Why go to work when you are battling cancer?
Enjoy your life instead for as much as you can.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:10PM

But he needs to get down to some serious work about getting a job. Hes been bitching about his job situation a long time but not doing anything about it.

Date: March 12, 2014 03:06PM

Date: March 12, 2014 07:07PM

I'm 41.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:59PM

41 years old and still living at home with his parents?

Most 41 year olds are married (if they choose that lifestyle), and have their own home/apartment. If they loose a job, the job is a full time one. If jobs are really hard to come by in their community, they have TWO part time jobs, because they are supporting themselves by that age.

I always figured SII to be in his 20s, given the nature of his posts and the fact that he still lives with his parents.

You will NOT like what I have to say, SII, but you really ARE old enough to go looking for a FULL TIME job (or two part time jobs like many other ADULTS do) and support yourself.

And as far as your Daddy dragging you off to church -- My God, SII, you are a MAN! Get out and support YOURSELF, and you don't have to worry about your Daddy's church anymore!

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:33PM

Everyone should complain about reduced conditions. Corporations pay slave wages in the third world then threaten first world people with unemployment if we don't work harder for less. Fucking slaves in Bangladeshi garment factories and the working poor back home. Meanwhile, the rich get richer. The system is broken.

Date: March 12, 2014 07:37PM

I disagree. I, for one, would support dramatic reductions in unemployment and the minimum wage.

Among service employees I encounter, most are overpaid if they are making $2.50 an hour.

Date: March 12, 2014 07:39PM

Date: March 12, 2014 07:40PM

Not in the least.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:43PM

You know full well that SII does a hell of a lot given all of the things he has going on in his life.

Date: March 12, 2014 03:50PM

Some facts on unemployment:

Employees pay no taxes that contribute to the unemployment compensation fund. It is funded solely by taxes paid by employers.

The tax rate an individual employer pays depends on the level of the fund, the employers payroll size and its history of creating claims.

It is true that many states had to borrow money from the federal government to meet unemployment obligations in the past few years, but that money is paid back by employers.

Those drawing unemployment have to be involuntarily unemployed through no fault of their own, able to work, available for work and actively seeking work.

In general, an unemployed person will receive 50 percent of their previous wages, up to a state maximum level. That level is set by each state and can range from around 250 to almost 700 per week.

Unemployment payments are reduced by any other funds earned or received over a very low threshold.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:25PM

How do posters know he isnt looking for a job?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.