Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:04PM

Mormons aren't even this stupid. In fact, I wouldn't say they're even in the same class of stupid. Its possible to have a linear conversation with many Mormons. It is not possible to have anything but a ridiculous conversation with JWs.

I equate trying to have a reasonable discussion with JWs with pig wrestling - usually. But I actually learned a new little factoid today - are you ready?

Nimrod invented birthdays! Before him, no one ever celebrated birthdays? What in the whole world? Japan? China? Those cultures are older than the Israelite/Hebrew/Abrahamaic ones. Oops. Nuh uh!!

Pagan references are bad and to be avoided. Uh, guys, what is today? Y'know, the day of the week? Wodens Day! Tomorrow, Thursday, is Thor's Day, followed by Days for Freya and Saturn. They'd never heard that before, uh oh, something else to be afraid of!

I asked them why Jesus et. al didn't condemn slavery, and since they follow the Bible, all of it, why not own slaves?

When you wrestle with pigs, you both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it. I ended telling them to stop emotionally abusing their children and to stop being so stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 04:28PM by serena.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:48PM

We talk about how in Mormonism "the thinking has been done." Well, in some religions the believers like the idea of not needing to think about a big pile of things. I mean, wouldn't life be easier if you had permission to be ignorant, if you could not worry your little head about, oh, 75% of the things everyone else does? Ignorance is bliss, right?

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:50PM

whenever they come to my door, I yell "honey, the mormons are here again."

they immediately try to set me straight

good times

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:14PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:25PM

The reverse also works. Mormons hate being confused for JWs, and JWs for Mormons. What they probably don't realize is that 90 percent of the confusion is intentional.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:01PM

I think JWs, TBMs, and Scientology are all tied for the bat ape s*it insanity prize........Nimrod, Kolob, Zula (or whatever his name is, the 13 trillion year old guy! PA--LEEZE)....

"Well, in some religions the believers like the idea of not needing to think about a big pile of things. " - TRUE in all of these... They don't like to think about anything more complex than tying their shoes. It partially explains why they pay tithing like a bunch of sheep with no accounting....

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:11PM

Wait wait wait..... they believe in some character named Nimrod, who starded birthday parties? There is a guy named Nimrod in the BoM! Coincidence?

Date: March 12, 2014 04:27PM

The original Nimrod is a bible villain who supposedly was around the time of the tower of Babel, which someone pointed out would have been long after the Chinese, Egyptians, and Sumerians got their acts together. Well, I guess you could argue that the last one was the tower of Babel folk, but they were playing the advanced civilization game long before the Genesis says the earth was created.

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:32PM

Nimrod...he's more than just the new name for male patron's on the 18th day of the month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 06:33PM by sanitationengineer.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:19PM

Last time one came to the door, she had her kid with her.

I was horrifyingly rude.

"Sweetie, I don't go my own stupid cult, I'm certainly not going to go to yours."

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:21PM

Not as rude as going to a complete stranger's home to try talking you into their own cult.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:26PM

Black driving caps too! It was just utterly too too twee.

Yes, Nimrod was an OT character.

Date: March 12, 2014 04:31PM

I like to read recovery boards for scientologist and JWs, though I never comment on them out of respect for their communities. They actually have to show up at church before going tracking, and stand on a stage with their companion, while the elder's expect them, to make sure they are up to code. One of the things they talk about is if a couple of young girls are going out, and one is wearing a non-full length skirt (keep in mind they are up on a stage) how the elders take forever to inspect them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:08PM

Tracking ?

What are they ... Hunters ?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:28PM

I don't know. I was taught when I was a missionary that Nimrod had Adam's underwear and that's how he was able to talk to the animals.

EDIT: I was taught that as a missionary, not a deacon. My mistake. (I don't know why I thought that. I didn't even know about garments when I was a deacon.) Nimrod was a "mighty hunter" because he could talk to the animals.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 04:34PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:36PM

I can list a bunch of wacky things about JWs, but this is my favorite:

"Divorce" is really a bad thing. Actually, it's not. The bad thing is having sex with someone other than the person you first married.

So, let's say for whatever reason, two witnesses become incompatible. Separate, divorce, whatever. In order to be in good standing, they must remain celibate for the rest of their lives.

Except when.... and this is the fun part.... until the other one has sex. Doesn't matter if it's a legal marriage or not. The first person to have sex it the guilty party. The other is now "free" to find another partner because the other is guilty of adultery, and the celebate one is still in good standing in the society's eyes. Can still hang in the Hall in with them.

So, a separated/divorced JW couple will keep an eye on each other, or have spies, to find out when the other is doing the deed. Sometimes... and this happens.... they never do, and neither gets married or has another partner.

One more...

I had a JW girlfriend for a few years. We were both in our forties. JWs were aghast if they saw us in public WITHOUT A CHAPERONE.

Okay. One more. My GF had quite a few JW friends. I personally witnessed all of them drop her when they found out we were together. JW shunning is doctrinal. You actually get in trouble if you hang out with sinning JWs. Her parents weren't allowed to be with us. According to them, our actions were ruining THEIR lives.

Jesus Jehovah, they are unusual people.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:42PM

I find it amazing that the JWs consider Nimrod invented birthdays.

I find it amazing that birthdays were invented before a calendar was in the region.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:07PM

Quakers on the moon? magic underwear? flaming swords? continually

continually being pregnant in the Celestial Kingdom? A white

and delightsome race of people who came to American in

a dish like container with a magic stone for light? Satan

ruling the waters? ..... Which religion is stupider?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:10PM

When I was a kid, Nimrod was a brand of camping trailer.....

Maybe Nimrod's family were in the party goods business???? Nepotism and all that...

"because he could talk to the animals." - I thought this was Dr. Dolittle.....I'm really confused today. I need to get off this cold medicine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 05:15PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:18PM

I've done this with JW's; They used to come to my door 20 years ago, every other week! Drove me crazy, one Sunday Morning I had just gotten to bed, I worked graveyard shift, and the door bell rang. Yep, it was them. so I got up out of bed, and answered the door. No, I didn't put on a robe. I was naked except for the skivies I wore. Not exactly naked, but next to it. It was two couples. The womnen just turned and went to their car. I invited them in, but the men declined, and left. Hardly said a word to me. I lived in that house for another 10 years, I have moved twice since then, and I have never had a JW knock at my door since.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:22PM

When they introduce themselves, I tell them "You're not supposed to knock on my door. We're enrolled in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Program."

I have to be polite to them, though, 'cause my long-time tax guy and his family are JWs. My son went to school with his twin girls. He and a couple of his employees live in my neighborhood. So I try to stay civil.

To the JWs' credit, they send some very pretty women out door-knocking.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:45PM

JW's. I tell them my past experiences and they tell me it sounds like the exact same thing - only doctrinal differences. One still believes in God, but the other is more agnostic, however he leaves God as a possibility.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:53PM

We know they should stop abusing their children and being so stupid.

Sadly, their lives revolve around those two lowly pursuits.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:27PM

JW's hate to be called JW's.

JW's prefer to convert blue collar and deniers prefer white collar workers to convert.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:17PM

My husband invited JW's into our home when he was bishop. He never told them he was a Mormon bishop. It's been almost three years since he was released and they still stop by. My husband said they are coming by more often and he isn't liking it. I guess it's not as fun as when he was bishop. I told him I'd be glad to get rid of them.

They stopped by on Christmas morning, they don't celebrate anything, they didn't tell us that though. I want to ask them at what point do they tell people they don't celebrate any holidays and what else someone might learn after they join that will change their life later than they should have known? What else don't you tell people up front? I doubt this is the only thing you don't mention, you know, up front. What else don't you tell your converts before they join that they might wish they knew beforehand? Do you tell them how many hours are required to belong to your religion? What exactly do or don't you disclose? Because you are wasting your time if there is anything you are not telling me that would be important for me to know, and I get to decide what is important. And right now the non celebration is important, so you would be wasting your time if you come here to preach your message again.

Posted by: Anon Regular Lurker ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:56PM

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:10PM

Actually, until quite recently the Japanese did not celebrate birthdays. Everyone was considered to gain a year on New Year's Day - so a baby born Dec 27 would turn 1 shortly within a few days (or weeks - they also celebrated NY in early spring following, I think, the Chinese calendar).

I know that the Chinese didn't like to call attention to children's early birthdays in case it attracted the bad luck/evil spirits which might lead to an early death, and childhood diseases were common. Not sure about traditions for adults.

I have no idea about other ancient cultures, but I know my Japanese spouse celebrated just one birthday with a party, and he and his mother find the fuss I make for my kids mystifying.

It would be interesting to trace where it all came from. My guess is individual birthdays would only be popular in cultures that celebrate individualism over shared collective goals.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:40PM

JW's refrain from celebrating birthdays because the two birthday celebrations that are mentioned in the Bible ended in murder. Therefore Jehovah does not approve of birthday celebrations.

http://jwquestions.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/why-dont-jehovahs-witnesses-celebrate-birthdays/

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:27PM

"Jehovah does not approve of birthday celebrations."

Wow, it's a good thing that Jehovah is imaginary then, 'cause kids like their birthday parties and stuff.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:39PM

Ugh that argument sounds like the kind of logical fallacy you'd find in a textbook..

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 10:42PM

Ironically, my TBM FIL invited the JWs in a few weeks back to have a religious discussion with them. I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that one!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.