Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:16PM

It was nearly a decade ago I began a two year sentence as a naive missionary for COJCLDS, but it didn't take longer than about two seconds to realize the social structure I would be living under for the next two years.

As a missionary, and I imagine all former missionaries realize this, you quickly learn that the missionary program establishes, encourages, nurtures and institutes an obnoxious hierarchy designed to give a false sense of aggrandizement to those in charge and conditioning to the others to be subjected to those 'higher' than you.

Holier than thou, smartest guy in the room, and serial narcissist would all be correct terms in describing 99% of the missionaries I knew in my mission who served in leadership roles, whether it be District Leader Zone Leader, Assistant to the President, trainer, or even 'Senior Companion.'

Ego overtook people so fast it was frightening. TSCC wants you to feel 'chosen.' We all know that. In fact they have told each generation of youth that for many many many many years. Each generation was 'the elect.' When you feel chosen your head expands.

The point is TSCC gives leadership positions to stroke ego. When someone feels their ego getting bigger they will serve the thing that helps grow it. That's why Bishops and SPs are such jackasses and why they have a hard time seeing anything other than what they say. They've been given this illusion of power and will blindly serve whoever gave it to them. The people below them acknowledge that power which makes it all the more real.

Some of the biggest douche bags I've ever met were Zone Leaders on my mission. A few have left the church, but most have not. I'm only one of a handful from my mission years that I know have left.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:29PM

illusion of power says it all

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.