Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon-9-13 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 04:36PM

Music can do wonders for the feelings,

Thought of this story when we heard of the passing of Shirley Temple Black recently. During the depression, while her dad road the rails seeking work, My mom said that she and her mom would save up change to see Shirley Temple movies at the theatres. My Mom said Shirley Temple gave people hope in hard times. You tube has some of her sweet music or movie shorts that can be shared with the youngsters you know.
Wishing you all happier days to come.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:36PM

"We who've lived through the Great Recession have an inkling about what it was like to live through the Depression, but only an inkling. The notion that one out of four Americans was unemployed is unimaginable. The image of long lines of unemployed and homeless people, standing in breadlines and at soup kitchens haunted movie audiences watching newsreels. The introduction of Shirley Temple (and at roughly the same time, Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse) proved to be just the tonic the nation needed. 'It is a splendid thing that for just fifteen cents an American can go to a movie and look at the smiling face of a baby and forget his troubles,' [President Roosevelt] declared."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keith-runyon/goodnight-shirley_b_4788366.html

Thanks for reminding me of a great birthday gift for a friend's 4-year-old daughter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.