Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 06:17PM

When I first discovered the church was the biggest lie of my life, I was obsessed with it- as many of you know happens. I couldn't read enough, watch enough, post here enough- in an effort to learn the secrets I wasn't told and to learn about things forbidden. I loved reading all of the exit stories both new and archived. I felt like I read this board inside and out almost daily. I was even fortunate enough to meet an outstanding lady who posts here and I'm lucky enough to call her friend.

I was so obsessed for a very long time.

Now...

I honestly think less and less about it. I go days without thinking about anything Mormon. And that's insane! I live in a little Utah!

The cliche is true- it does get better. Ohhhh and its so much better! I can let it go and not give it any more power. This is huge.

I still lurk here and would still love to post. I just feel I have nothing left to offer. I've been out for 5(?) years... I've lost track. =)

I just wanted you all to know how much you've meant to me. I would not have survived had it not been for this amazing board and the wide range of opinions and advice you all bring. =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gizmo ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 07:40PM

I'm not quite to the point where you are Pil-Latte, but I don't obsess nearly as much as I did in the first couple years. It tends to come in waves. I'll leave it alone for months, and then something will trigger memories, etc, and I'll be back here reading, and catching up on the exmo scene.

Lately I've been obsessing because a BIL recently left and his comments and research he has been posting here has been very surreal and resurfaced a lot of those early feelings I had when I first realized the truth.

This board is amazing. The quality of posts and comments is outstanding. And having this resource can be very cathartic.

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 08:01PM

When the secrets are exposed, they lose their power. Still visit this site, still cheer on those who search and find truth. I resigned in 1991. It's wonderful to know that you are not alone and are validated by the findings of others who visit this board. THANK YOU to CZ, Erik and Susan I/S and all you wonderful contributors and seekers of truth.

Posted by: BOUNCED ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 08:04PM

I'm so very happy for you!! You deserve true freedom from the morg. Congratulations and kudos are in order.

Posted by: brotherjoseph ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 08:06PM

I think of the church whenever a cup of coffee caresses my lips, as its warmth and smooth aroma envelope me with profound gratitude unfelt for decades during my self-imposed curse of obedience.

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=618&q=cup+of+coffee&oq=cup+of+coffee&gs_l=img.3..0l10.2062.5476.0.5707.13.13.0.0.0.0.276.2162.0j2j8.10.0....0...1ac.1.37.img..5.8.1741.M7guk-MGLD4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 08:08PM by brotherjoseph.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: March 15, 2014 08:21PM

My case is the exact opposite. THe church never had any true influence on my life. I stopped going at 17 or 18 when I wasn't forced to go and haven't been back since. I did all the things teenagers do (sex, drink,etc..), so I don't feel like I missed out on anything. However, here I am at 43 and I can't stop reading about things here on RfM. I'm obsessed with it and I can't really figure out why.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:03AM

and I don't read here nearly as much as I used to, but it is always my favorite place to read for a break from work. I have yet to find anything as entertaining and interesting. When I first came here, I read hours a day. Today, I've only had a chance to look now as I wait out my "on call" time for work.

Sometimes I need to be here, though, since my daughter is TBM.

I think one of my "biggest" moments in seeing how far I have come is when the sister missionaries showed up a few months ago and, when I told them I had resigned, they said, 'Oh, that's sad." And I had the presence of mind to say, "Not for me, it isn't." It really was a moment for me as I am not assertive in any fashion.

Posted by: anon this time (glittertoots) ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:24AM

I envy you. I'm only 7-8 months into my journey and I'm still heavily into the researching phase. A lot of things have changed for us, but we've kept everything so far under the radar and still attend meetings on Sunday. I hope to be where your at 5 years from now.

Posted by: Macsimillian ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 12:50AM

To those struggling, try to MOVE OUT OF UTAH, because there is an entire world out here NOT related to mormons. Boise, Idaho is a wonderful place with many religions & NOT many mormons. Utahns tend to think Idaho is just like Utah but that is only eastern Idaho.
Point is, there are places nearby where you can begin to live a normal existence. & we have to fill the void that is left!!! Just like any big change in life, we have to find new interests to fulfill the universal longing all humans occasionally feel.
Ex-mormons tend to say all religion is crazy, but it's not. Mormonism is SO SAR OFF FROM CHRISTIANITY & THE BIBLE, so one must realize there is A LOT we have missed by growing up mormon. Most ppl who don't grow up religious have more morals than mormons rebelling by drinking & having sex etc.
We were taught that the rest of the world has no reason to NOT sin & have sex & do drugs etc . . . so mormons party WAY MORE than the average person.
There is A LOT more to learn than just the fact that Mormonism isn't true, it takes a long time to RE-learn silly thoughts we had about "the rest of the world".

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 01:10AM

You are a true success story in the world of recovery from Mormonism. Congratulations!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 01:32AM

I'm kinda like CTR.....I didn't care about the church from a young age...never read ANY LDS scripture...just went through the paces....quit going at age 21....zero regrets....

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.