Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:07AM

I am no legal expert, but I noticed a glaring omission by the church lawyers. While reading through the updates posted here, I came to realize that their arguments centered around the character and authority of Tom Phillips to bring these charges. They also attacked the lawsuit itself, calling it vexatious, etc.
But I didn't see a clear logical refutation of the charges. They didn't deny wrongdoing. That says a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:10AM

The purpose of that hearing (from the point of view of the LDS barristers) was to get the case tossed out. So their job wasn't to defend against the charges yet. We'll see on Thursday if it goes forward and then they'll have to argue the case.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 11:05AM

The purpose of that hearing was in fact for Monson to answer yes or no to the truthfulness of the charges. The court required nothing more. LDS Inc tried to use it as an opportunity to weasel out of the charges using legal technicalities and attacks on Tom Phillips, while making only weak arguments in their own defense concerning the actual charges.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:11AM

They weren't focused on that, rather they were trying to get it thrown out.

On the chance it is put forward to a trial, that's when they will do that.

You can bet there are some meetings this week at the COB.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:13AM

I don't think that was ever their intention at this early stage. Their goal was probably just to get the case dismissed as quietly and quickly as possible. If it goes further, the next legal team will have the really difficult job of defending the charges.

Regardless of the outcome this week, I found it interesting that the judge clearly didn't see it as the bizarre, vexatious and easily dismissable case that TSCC presented it to be. A week to deliberate on something that was to be thrown out in 10 seconds?!

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:22AM

That's all true, and I agree. I just thought it was interesting they have yet to say "We didn't do it."

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:36AM

I don't think there's any point in them saying that. That discussion comes at a later date when/if the case gets referred to the Crown Court.

I'm surprised the meeting last week went on for as long as it did tbh. But it seems to me the church's strategy was to try and get the whole thing dismissed, so they wouldn't have to have any discussion about the seven points in the future.

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:27AM

It's no difference than the excommunications/disfellowshipments of any of the scholars or of others who have dared to bring to light the facts of Church history/doctrine.

They have never stated that anything raised by these man and women were not true. Not once ot my knowledge have they ever had to defend against facts being raised. Rather, the charge was apostasy...they were saying things that might lead people away from the Church.

No different with the fraud case. Now, IF the case does go to trial. Then, things will get a whole lot more interesting.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 11:12AM

This is a criminal proceeding, not a lawsuit seeking financial compensation, correct? So the attack on Tom has nothing to do with it. The court decided to move forward with the hearing based on previous testimony, so the church is attacking the courts by not actually answering the charges.

Date: March 17, 2014 11:21AM

Not quite. It was a special hearing to determine if enough evidence exists to send it to a trial wherein guilt or innocence will be determined -- much like a grand jury. But yes, it is a criminal fraud charge. The courts decision on whether to take it to trial or not will be announced on Thursday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 11:22AM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: cityworker ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 11:33AM

I suspect they may also have TBM lawyers ready to help from the UK there are a few Stake Presidents

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:41PM

...want to have to argue the details of the charges before an impartial judge or jury. A church lawyer wouldn't be able to use "Moroni's challenge" as his closing argument. :-)

Date: March 17, 2014 12:46PM

Like!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.