Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 02:57PM

I was going through some old files several years ago and came across some recollections I had written down about a phone call I received some years ago from Senator Orrin Hatch, asking me to help him protect Paul H. Dunn from media scrutiny.

The account of the Hatch call was originally intended as part of a presentation I gave at a Sunstone symposium shortly after leaving the Mormon Church, but because of time constraints, it was left unmentioned.

Below is the account from the prepared text:

"One day [Senator Orrin Hatch] called me asking a favor. He had heard that my colleagues at the "Arizona Republic" were investigating allegations that Elder Paul H. Dunn had manufactured claims about his war and baseball careers. He asked me to prevail on my reporter friends to kill the investigation.

"The senator was making the request, he said, because Paul Dunn was 'a good friend' whom he wished to protect from Lynn Packer, a Mormon journalist who had made the charges, [and] whom Hatch accused of having 'an axe to grind against the Church.'

"I felt very uncomfortable and asked Senator Hatch if he had looked into the allegations against Elder Dunn to see if they were true. He admitted he had not. I told him I could not, in good conscience, interfere with the developing story. The phone conversation quickly ended, with Senator Hatch saying he might get back to me. He never did. The story, of course, later ran and Elder Dunn confessed he had, indeed, exaggerated his exploits."

The Mormon Church leadership must have known about Dunn's dubious stories long before he was finally exposed as a consummate fraud.

At BYU, I had a political science professor named Ray Hillam who had edited a book, entitled, "A Time to Kill," featuring wartime episodes from the lives of Mormon soldiers in combat.

It was compiled and published before Dunn was undone. I asked Hillam why, during the preparation of the book, he did not include any of Dunn's fantastic war tales.

Hillam told me that he had done some investigating into Dunn's claims, including speaking with sources inside the Church (whom he did not name), and the consensus was that the exploits were so fantastic that their credibility was highly questionable. Rather than pursue the matter further at that time, Hillam told me he just decided to drop any idea of publishing Dunn's amazing action-packed accounts.

For what it's worth, it seems highly unlikely to me that skeptical opinion of Dunn's tales had not been voiced within earshot of His Fakiness's superiors. Put more precisely, the GAs had to have known that Dunn's tales were suspicious, at best, and lies, at worst.Yet, they did nothing until the media blew the whistle on him--then quietly retired him without firing a shot.
_____

Here is what "Sunstone" magazine reported on Packer's findings, as they eventually appeared in the "Arizona Republic":

"On 16 February 1991, 'The Arizona Republic' reported that many of Elder Paul H. Dunn’s baseball and war stories had serious factual problems. The highlights of the report were that Harold Brown did not die in Dunn’s arms as Dunn had repeatedly told audiences, but is still living in Odessa, Missouri; and that Dunn never played for the St. Louis Cardinals.

"The story was printed in newspapers across the nation and was widely discussed by the Utah Saints. Some were angry at Elder Dunn; others defended him. Interestingly, some of the strongest hostility was directed toward Lynn Packer, the reporter who uncovered the story and sold his research to the 'Republic' and to a Salt Lake television station.

"There was also a lot of finger pointing among the press as to why the Utah media sat on the story and waited for the 'Republic' to break it.

"In a statement issued at the time of the 'Republic story,' the LDS church stated that it could not confirm the allegations in the 'Republic.' It did affirm that Dunn was made an emeritus general authority for health reasons. Reporters contacted Dunn, who expressed sorrow over the pain the revelations had caused the Church and said his stories were created simply to illustrate moral points, as did Jesus’ parables. . . .

"As expected, the Mormon folk culture immediately began assuaging the tension of the event through humor. Perhaps the most common joke was about document forger Mark Hofmann making Paul Dunn Cardinals baseball cards. Other jokes placed Dunn in unlikely settings, such as catching BYU Heisman quarterback Ty Detmer’s first touch-down pass. Several individuals submitted unsolicited cartoons to 'Sunstone.' 'Sunstone' believes that this event should be confronted so as not to be forgotten and perhaps repeated. The articles we have gathered concerning the Paul Dunn episode are grouped into three general sections: (1) reprints of news accounts which reported the event, including the original 'Arizona Republic' story; (2) an edited version of the original Lynn Packer story, which he wrote for the 1989 Salt Lake 'Sunstone' symposium but did not give because 'Sunstone' felt the story needed to be put into a broader context; and (3) essays responding to the episode.

"Examples of the community effort to deal with the event through humor are interspersed throughout the articles. Although this episode is a painful one, we believe that a sympathetic yet thorough inquiry into the matter is salutory, helping us to become a stronger and more honest community."

(To read the above-mentioned examinations, see the lead article, "The Paul Dunn Stories," by "Sunstone's" editors, September 1991, p. 28, followed by the afore-noted reprinted investigative findings, at: https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/083-28-34.pdf)
_____

*see also related RFM link, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1207911

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 02:23PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 03:34PM

Probably because of a recent family event, your use of the words, "how the game is played", hit me very hard. I for one find the word game, when connected with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, needs to have two adjectives in front which are dangerous and deadly.

The cult thinks they are above the law of the land and of HUMAN DECENCY. Those who reap money and prestige from the cult are in the cult for just that.....and they DO NOT CARE who they have to bring down or even do away with in order to stay where they are.

Have to choose whether to feed your kids or pay tithing? We know how the morg answers. Think you need your gold teeth to chew your food? Well, you are mistaken. Think the Hinkster lied about not knowing Mark Hoffman? Well, think again.

I am so very grateful to live in a land where we are all equal under the law. I am grateful for your field of journalism, for your courage and expertise and the many, many others in your field who take risks and more risks to get the facts and truth out in the open.

Truth will prevail.

Posted by: korihortonhearsawho ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 07:29PM

This story has me picturing Kevin Spacey on 'House of Cards' making shady calls to his contact at the Washington Post.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:10PM

Steve,

I'm curious, did you and Hatch have a standing relationship?

It just strikes me (as I am sure it did you) so presumptuous to call and ask that of you.

Date: March 18, 2014 12:36AM

We both worked in offices in the Russell Senate Office Building, not that far from each other.

I had dinner, at his invitation, at his home in Vienna, VA, and drew caricatures, at his request, of his family, He later sent me a CD of gospel songs he had written that were set to music.

He was friendly, really admired my grandfather and sought my political-cartoon support when he ran for the GOP presidential nomination (He didn't get it). We had some lengthy discussions about politics and the Church. We didn't agree, obviously, on everthing (or, over time, on most things).

We still have a cordial relationship, although I haven't seen or spoken to him for quite awhile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 03:44AM by steve benson.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 08:39AM

Ah. Thanks.

He always struck me as a classic politician, but I suppose you can say that about most of the 535 people on The Hill.

My wife and I used to see him and his wife in the DC temple on occasion. We may have been here (DC) at the same time ('86-'89; '92-'96; '98-'03; '10-'14). Seemed nice enough.

Date: June 13, 2017 03:32PM

. . . at General Conference, glad-handing the powers-that-be and their families. He's quite the pro.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2017 03:33PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:20PM

"Woe is me for I am undone."

-Isiah 6: 5

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 10:22PM

I agree with your observation left4good, which then led to the thought that the cult does quite the job of teaching its members to be just that----presumptous,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 10:23PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Cactus Jim ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 03:02AM

Not long after Ruby Jessop had tried to leave Colorado City and was taken back and disappeared, it was brought to our attention (Me and Flora Jessop and friends) that Hatch had made a statement about how he was friends with the good people of Colorado City and they were fine upstanding folks. So I wrote him a letter and said, since they are such good people and are personal friends of his, how about him contacting them and arranging for Ruby Jessop to come to a safe location where she could be interviewed by competent Social Workers without members of the FLDS in attendance. I never got an answer. I surmised the reason I never got an answer is 1: Orrin Hatch is an asshole and 2: Orrin Hatch is either a closet polyg or a wannabe polyg. Of course that was just my opinion.

Of course I'm not to go around repeating rumors.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 05:53PM

I think that he is just related by blood to FLDS families, as are many GA's and lawmakers in Utah.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 10:08AM

I remember about 8 years after Dunn was exposed I hopped into a TBM minivan and there were Dunn's Audio tapes in the player and door pockets. It struck me odd, even as an active member, why they are still listening to the tapes.

Now I more fully understand the idea that 'not all truth is useful' idea. This TBM mother felt it was more important to strengthen the testimony of her teens with false stories that to seek the truth.

This sheds light on the method of mormons for obtaining knowledge through the spirit. The TBM mother might think that the Dunn stories bring in the spirit and at the same time think how can this be bad if I feel the spirit. She might think God will judge and will continue to use the tapes for feeling the spirit and helping her children feel the spirit.

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 01:08PM

@steve benson

I read the other post on Dunn. You may have provided the same link in that topic and I missed it, but I found it here.

I appreciate the sunstone pdf you linked to as that gives me a LOT more information on this that I didn't know and was wondering about.

Thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.