Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 10:43AM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140317155201.htm

"We have identified genetic signatures of the original Polynesian chickens, and used these to track early movements and trading patterns across the Pacific," says lead author Dr Vicki Thomson of ACAD. "We were also able to trace the origins of these lineages back into the Philippines, providing clues about the source of the original Polynesian chicken populations."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 10:44AM

Isn't science great?

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 10:47AM

Woah, that is really cool. Tracking chicken genetics to trace human migration patterns.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 03:39PM

...OK, how about this?

"Chicken DNA proves Mormonism evolved from Jacob Cochran."

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 05:04PM

...Chicken DNA proves Polynesians were not descended from Elvis.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 11:00AM

What I learned about the DNA vs BOM issue that is deliberately (or it certainly seems to me) left out of apologetics is the obvious fact that not only is the evidence for human DNA supporting an Asian migration but that all the DNA for plants, animals and even the bacteria in the guts of the people and animals that migrated with them also match that migration path.

ALL DNA evidence for all living things is against Hebrews sailing to America in 600b.c.

Thank you Simon Southerton “Losing a Lost Tribe”.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 01:47PM

I recall as a young TBM learning that there were no horses here
in the Americas for thousands of years before Columbus--which is
in total contradiction to the BOM account.

I remember as a teenager in the early 60s (pre DNA) telling
myself that there WERE horses here and they ended up being part
of the herds of wild mustangs that roamed the Americas.

A few years ago I was reminded of my teenage TBM rationalization
when I ran across an article where scientists had traced the DNA
of wild mustangs back to the very breeds in Spain that they were
descended from.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 11:05AM

What they fail to realize is the Hebrew chickens were a very small number compared to the existing chickens (we never said Hebrew chickens were the only chickens on the islands, well, we did but now we don't) and they colonized a very small area. For that reason the mtDNA and Y chromosomes were lost due to founder effect and genetic drift. The autosomal Hebrew chicken genome has been subsumed in the existing Philippine-descended chickens and you can't prove that's not the case.

(FAIR to the rescue!)

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 11:56AM

Very good point, Void. In fact, it helped me to realize something VERY interesting: for some reason the researchers in this study were under the impression that they *could* find evidence of mixing between South American and Polynesian chickens. That is even though the amount of putative contact between the two populations would have been temporary and VERY small--much smaller than three separate migrations of Middle Eastern peoples that grew into impressive civilizations.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 05:14PM

Good point, it is wonderful how far population genetics has advanced in our times.

We don't know how much contact there was between South Americans and Polynesians. While Asian-origin chickens may possibly have arrived in SA from the west (apparently, not yet confirmed), the sweet potato seems to have dispersed westward throughout the Pacific from SA in the east. This could have resulted from a single fruitful contact by seafarers, or it could have resulted from multiple contacts. We don't yet know, but genetics science offers hope that we soon will.

So as I understand it, this new study tends to deny that the SA chicken is a Polynesian introduction, as was thought to possibly be the case according to previous studies of chicken bones in SA. But it does indicate that the Polynesian chicken was brought by Polynesians to many or most of the Pacific islands from the Philippines.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 06:46PM by hello.

Posted by: anonrit3n0w ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 11:34AM

This hole for the church keeps getting deeper doesn't it? When I heard that human DNA had been fully mapped I KNEW it was a matter of time before it was tested against the claims of the BOM. I was still clinging to some hope that it was all true, but by this point had stumbled across the BOA debacle. I remember well the day that the Mormon Scientist who tested the DNA made his announcement that there was no Jewish DNA in Native American populations. That announcement finally shattered my shelves and turned them into kindling. Everything Mormon was burned on the alter of facts.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 11:40AM

But we don't know what Hebrew chicken from 600 B.C. tastes like.

Date: March 18, 2014 08:46PM

Tastes like chicken.

Posted by: john_deoe ( )
Date: March 19, 2014 02:57AM

11 secret eerrrr sacred herbs and spices and it all tastes the same

Posted by: Korihorton hears a who ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 11:53AM

First of all, they weren't hebrew chickens, they were reformed egyptian chickens.

Date: March 18, 2014 12:04PM

As circumcision is poorly preserved in the fossil record, we cannot be sure if they were true Hebrew chickens or Reformed Egyptian chickens.

Date: March 18, 2014 01:55PM

This would not be conclusive anyway since circumcision was
practiced among the ancient Egyptians. At least half a century
before Abraham, the Egyptians were circumcising their males. So
when God told Abraham to circumcise all the males as a symbol,
He was telling Abraham to make all the Hebrew males look like
the biggest pagan civilization in the area.

It was the practice among the ancient Egyptians to count the
enemy dead, after a battle, by cutting off all the right hands
of the enemy dead and piling them up to be counted. However, in
at least one battle with Libyans, they counted the enemy dead by
cutting off the enemy penises. Since the Egyptians were
circumcised, they could be sure any uncircumcised penises would
be Libyan.

Date: March 18, 2014 02:01PM

Did not know that. Good stuff. Throws a wrinkle in the Hebrew vs Reformed Egyptian angle, but as they're both Semites it should not matter so far as being non-Philippine is concerned.

Date: March 18, 2014 03:16PM

Egyptians were not Semites.

Date: March 18, 2014 03:51PM

Okay, clearly I need some tutoring. Commencing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 03:59PM by Void K. Packer.

Posted by: Bluidy Clavers ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 12:04PM

I'm sorry to have to correct you.

They were indeed Hebrew chickens. They just clucked in Reformed Egyptian. A small point and fussy of me, but we all have our little ways.

Date: March 18, 2014 12:09PM

Haha, this thread is win for a nerd like me.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 12:09PM

And to top it all off, Lamanite General Authority Elder Larry Echo Hawk is assigned to the Philippines.
http://www.navajotimes.com/politics/2013/0813/080113ech.php#.UsydVLmA3iw

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 01:52PM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 01:32PM

...change his argument from "prepare the chicken and backpacks" to "prepare the turkey and backpacks." 'Cuz we know fer shure there were turkeys in ancient America.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 01:57PM

Actually, this was one of the first biological markers that I heard about pointing to an east Asian origin for Native Americans - long before DNA could be sequenced. But like a lot of scientific evidence, lay people find it easy to scoff at something that they don't understand or see as frivolous (Ear wax!? You're asking me to give up my testimony because of ear wax!?).

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-details/what-your-earwax-says-about-your-ancestry

Date: March 18, 2014 02:02PM

Dentition and blood proteins were also used prior to direct DNA sequencing and all pointed to Siberia as the origin of the Americas.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 02:00PM

the best chicken comes Kentucky....or maybe Buffalo...and them thar places are in America.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 03:23PM

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 04:56PM

Query: Does the DNA evidence and research provide an answer as to when the Polynesians began choking their chickens?

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: March 19, 2014 01:35AM

Personal research of the sacred kind leads me to believe it was when they were about 12 years old.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 19, 2014 03:19AM

The fact is, though nobody knows what Hebrew chicken DNA actually looks like. It could be there but we wouldn't know. Scientists are biased against Mormonism so they would never look for it but if they did, they wouldn't be able to find it because we don't know what it looks like to begin with.

Therefore, the Book of Mormon must be true.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 19, 2014 03:25AM

Polynesians do look like some Philippino people. Imagine only those strong enough to last such a journey, plus thousands of years of war, and you get huge rugby players.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.