Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Upsetrm ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:06AM

Told you so.

Yet everyone on here was celebrating the end of the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:07AM

Not me. I never thought this case would go anywhere

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 07:09AM by bona dea.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:08AM

Ditto

Date: March 20, 2014 07:08AM

Actually, not "everyone". If you look back, there are those of us who really didn't think this would go forward.

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:11AM

I once said "heads" and the coin came up heads! I'm a prophet too.

Posted by: Newly Released ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:12AM

Ugh...don't rub it in too hard. This is depressing...

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:14AM

Remember, Tom anticipated this outcome as well, and has already said he's got a plan B. And C, D, E.

Posted by: claw_hammer ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:18AM

If he wishes to continue pissing away his - and others money, good luck to him.

Date: March 20, 2014 07:17AM

And I suspect plans B,C and D will be every bit as successful as plan A.

Date: March 20, 2014 07:19AM

Most likely…..

Posted by: Giant Scorpion of Apocalypse ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:20AM

A positive ruling on this case would be tantamount to saying that all religions are frauds. Which they are, but no one is going to go that far in court.

Date: March 20, 2014 07:22AM

It would also be tantamount to throwing religious freedom out with the trash.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:24AM

Not when mandatory tithing is involved --

Date: March 20, 2014 07:28AM

You don't have to pay even if there is pressure. Mandatory means you have no choice other than to face the penalties of the law-like in taxes.

Posted by: Giant Scorpion of Apocalypse ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:37AM

There'd be no religion in a perfect world, but this is far from it. I agree that religious freedom is important given the malaise of society, no matter how much I disagree with their beliefs.

But if they could be stopped from making blatantly false claims and charging money for it, that'd be nice.

The greatest thing would be to remove the tax-free status of churches, so they'd be forced to operate like any legitimate business.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:24AM

Without knowing plans B-E it's hard to know whether there's any basis to move them forward in light of the judgement. The judge was quite scathing on the foundation for the summons.

Still I find it interesting that a member can take the prophet to court and still not be ex'd for apostasy. Of course we all know the reasons why (2nd anointing), although TSCC wouldn't admit this. Whilst it probably won't, this precedent SHOULD make it very difficult for them to try and excommunicate anyone else for apostasy without looking completely inconsistent.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:03AM

The church could always argue that Tom is an exception because they made him a god. Let the media run with that.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:18AM

The church morphs, but mostly is extremely evasive and sneaky. But I think the church would choose to officiate over gay temple marriages before they would abandon their money train. Tom's got an evasive, moving target to go after. I wouldn't expect them to make any short term mistakes.

Posted by: anon AngloSaxon ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:28AM

Reading the jpgs of the official decision on the other thread, on the third page: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but does it look like TSCC is now trying to prosecute Tom for not being qualified to be prosecuting in court? The judge said it wasn't a decision he needed to comment on.

I posted this question on the other thread too.

Date: March 20, 2014 07:31AM

I thought they were claiming he should pay court costs.The photographs were too small to read on my Kindle so I could be wrong.

Posted by: anon Anglo Saxon ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:47AM

I re-read it. It does. Punishable with up to 2 years' imprisonment.

Anyone wanna bet the Church pursues this line?

Posted by: Lilburne ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 07:38AM

I hope this isn't over.

It is absolutely evident that the BOA is a fraud. It is absolutely evident that the church represents it as a fact.

This has to be the start of a learning curve in taking cases like this to court. Tom simply needs time and support to regroup and analyse the first round to look to strengthen his case.

The Judge confirmed the case is not vexatious, therefore, that means it had merit just insufficient evidence to demonstrate the link needed to progress to a full trial.

The PR value on this is tremendous for both sides, as the church will spin it as a victory and vindication at General Conference, but might need to be careful on the words they use. Where as Anti LDS sites will be clear to point out that the Church now argues it isn't true but a belief and will be able to monitor all church statements going forward to that effect.

This overtime will become visible to the members.

great work Tom, this is just the beginning.

You can doubt if you wish, but sooner or later this case will proceed and the evidence, the facts will come to light.

Posted by: Morgnomore ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:10AM

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. - Mahatma Gandhi

Tom, you and I may be a minority but truth's firm-rooted bulwarks will outstand the rude blast and the wreck of the fell tyrant's hopes.

Never surrender!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:13AM

Posted by: Morgnomore ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:18AM

Self-reference? Fit or fat?

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:51AM

Morgnomore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Self-reference? Fit or fat?

Well I'm not fat - fit is referring to my physical condition, as in, healthy - not fit in the teenage sense :-)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:21AM

I haven't stated anything either way, because I had no idea how it would go. I don't know anything about law.

I can be supportive of those involved, but not have an opinion as to how it would turn out.

I don't think anyone is celebrating the end of the Church. That's a bit naive.

My only opinion has been that no matter what happened, it would put the Church on notice that it can't continue to get away with lying to people. It accomplishes that no matter which way the wind blows and that's a good thing.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:23AM

Before the decision was handed down, who correctly stated the reason why Tom Phillips would lose? Whoever it was (if anyone) have the right to feel pretty smug right now. Everyone else, including myself, have some learning to do.

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:29AM

For all those shouting 'told you so' may I remind you that the case was dismissed on points of law, not on any evidence presented & that leaves the door open for a further summons to be issued once those points have been addressed.

It's clear that the church wished to have 'revenge' on Tom but the Judge would have none of it so let's have a little less despondancy & a lot more of 'we can bring the church down'

As briggy said, "it isn't over yet"

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:41AM

I like your attitude.

The beautiful thing about winning the battle with the mormon church is that winning simply means making the truth public.

Tom won and will continue to win because he stands with the truth.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:39AM

I don't think accurately predicting this case would be thrown out is anything to gloat over. The ruling said the issue was non-justiciable. That's the point. So the people saying that a court--or this court--wouldn't try to discriminate between fact (this book was translated from this document) and belief (God in Heaven is the Almighty Father), were right, even if tithing is mandatory. That just means if a religious con can shake down victims in perpetuity and the arm of the government designed to prohibit such action won't review the case. What's to crow about?

This court fears the effects of a case like this on secularism. Will the court be inundated with cases in which a member of one religion sues a different religion, or sues over issues of orthodoxy? Non-justiciability keeps the entire subject out of court.

Why not appeal? Maybe the issue can't be made justiciable. But the court pointed the prosecution in the direction to try: what is the jury being asked to decide? However, the court also claimed the nexus between Monson and the fraudulent statements wasn't strong enough to support a criminal prosecution. That will be hard to overcome; the evidence presented is what it is.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 09:03AM

What has this accomplished? It has forced the Mormon church to speak through lawyers about what their words really mean: The LDS church teachings are not truths. They are merely beliefs. That is now a legally defined statement of record.

Further, they have offered that tithing is merely optional. Some member somewhere, sometime in the near future will find this not true and will protest it. This will be highlighted.

We are moving from doctrinal and historical issues to tithing and financial controversy. The LDS church's financial records will eventually be scrutinized.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 09:15AM

You are right, of course, Jesus. It's just a sad d@mn day. I had hoped to wake up to an international media storm. You know, pertaining to the utter collapse of the Mormon church.

Sigh . . . .

;o)

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 09:17AM

Tom thought he was different than the rest of us. Many of us have thought about court action against the LDS church, but we knew it would never advance. He needs to do what the rest of us have done or are trying to do...let it go. We've all lost money, time, and loved ones to something very evil. Something that lies daily and extorts money out of people. But our western societies let religion do that. It didn't matter if it was in the US, Canada, or the UK, religion was going to be given a wide latitude to seduce, lie, mis-represent, and extort money. The difference was that we had managable size egos, and thus were grounded in reality.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 09:26AM

How do you think those policies will change? How do you think any amoral legal practice has ever changed? Definitely not by people with your attitude, but by those with Tom's. Regardless of the outcome or the future, Tom should be applauded for trying. And everyone that is getting their panties in a wad over how much of his time and his money he is wasting are just being stupid. If you don't like it, it doesn't need to affect you, just let it go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 09:26AM by notnewatthisanymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.