Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: habiff ( )
Date: March 22, 2014 10:48PM

While doing yard work my TBM neighbor drove and we started talking about the church. She told me I need to quit reading all the anti stuff. I replied with the golden question, if it wasn't true and a fraud would she want to know? She answered no. That if the church is a fraud then she would rather continue following it and find out the in the next life. There is no hope for Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 22, 2014 11:35PM

what I should or shouldn't read seems absolutely outrageous.

It reminds me of someone covering their ears and eyes so they won't here or see anything that challenges their thinking. And then judging the person who opens their eyes and ears.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 12:34AM

Perfect..... that is what I will say next time someone warns me against reading "anti mormon" crap.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: March 22, 2014 11:38PM

You know, I'm telling you that is a great way to approach it, asking if they would want to know, otherwise it seems like you're just wasting your breath. I like it also because it lets them know you have something to tell them IF they want to hear it.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 22, 2014 11:42PM

The golden question of if it wasn't true and a fraud, would you want to know seems to be a very interesting question for TBMs.
The next time you ask a TBM this question and get this answer "No I'd rather not know," mention to them that by not knowing, they could be doing harm to themselves and their families. Of course they will disagree with you but then ask
"If a sex offender moved in the house next door to you (and the person has children), would you want to know?" See if they say yes or no because TSCC or a sex offender both hurt people and families.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 04:04AM

This person is handing out advice!? That's funny.

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 05:05AM

A question for habiff's buddy:

"Dear TBM Neighbor;

If a man in his late-30's moved in next-door to you who'd secretly married several dozen women and girls and offered eternal salvation to your sweet-assed 14 year old daughter and her family if she'd only let him screw her would you want to know about that, or ... not so much?"

If the answer if "no" congratulate her on being a perfect Mormon enabling idiot/pimpette. Then I'd call Child Services.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2014 05:12AM by tenaciousd.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 08:18AM

Honey, if this baby wasn't really yours, would you want to know?

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 09:38AM

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 09:39AM

Plato's Cave.....there's just no way to drag some people out into the light.

Posted by: Charlotte Darwin ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 12:05PM

Reply, "Then don't tell me what I should or should not read." If she's not open to new info, why would she expect you to be open to old info? (FYI, my question here is rhetorical.)

If she ever has this kind of conversation with you again, ask her again if she'd like to know if the church was not true. I mean, isn't that the famous Moroni question? Good comeback, though. You think quickly, wish I could do the same in a similar situation.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 12:19PM

Brilliant! Sadly, that type of shocking reply is not unexpected. I recently attempted a new tactic with my TBM mother, when she essentially told me the same thing...

Do you believe in a God of truth? If so, and hypothetically speaking, if there *were* substantial documented proof that the LDS Church were a fraud, how would a God of truth judge someone who did not do their due dilligence to learn that information? It reminds me of the parable of the slothful servant that hid his talents out of fear.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 12:22PM

If this woman doesn't want to know what is true what can you possibly say to her?

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 23, 2014 04:32PM

Yeah. Not a cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.