Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 02:31AM

(This post includes some comments from prior posts.)

When your religion is your identity ----
This is because, as I often say, the best way to understand
Mormonism is as a patriarchal, generational, familial, social, traditional, cultural, ritual, religious tribe complete with it's own music, language, (Mormonese!), unwritten rules, policies,special teachings,with emphasis on obedience.

It includes: individual dress, what they eat and drink, how they spend their time and money--every facet of their life-- from what they think to what they feel to what they believe, what they read, and even what movies they watch. It is a 24/7 religion complete with regulation underwear for those "worthy" to attend the temple.

They have specific rituals/ordinances for birth, coming of age, marriage and death. It all follows a similar pattern in most religions of the world. The rituals and teachings are different, but the pattern or components are the same or similar.

It started out as a small tribe in New York, then moved to other states, and eventually, cemented as a tribe in isolation in Utah by Brigham Young. They even use that term from time to time.As a convert, I was told it was my adopted tribe.

Leaving it is,in essence, leaving your tribe.
You become the outsider. Your support system is gone. Family, business, career, etc. may be gone also.
That, in my experience and observation, accounts for how difficult it is to leave it completely.

Not accepting the claims/beliefs (or any other facet), is not all there is to it. It is only the first step.
It requires learning to identify the authentic: you, and creating a whole new World View from scratch.

It includes rewriting every single automatic thinking script from childhood if BIC, or as a convert, from years of subtle teachings. It means finding a new normal, a different language, changing a wardrobe, being willing to step out in a whole new world, experiment with many notions/ideas, music, movies, literature, much of it not acceptable in Mormonism.

Leaving Mormonism requires courage, tenacity, perseverance, steadfastness and a willingness to give ourselves permission to take our power back, which is new to many. It includes: ditching guilt and shame, and fear. It includes making all decisions and choices in your life on your own.And learning to be OK with that.

For me, that includes learning some new skills, one of which is learning to be a skeptic, a good researcher (ignoring tone and bias) and getting to the factual evidence and information, learning to set new clear boundaries, etc.

That is why I call it an Exit Process from Mormonism. It's a process, that for some, takes a short time, but for others can take years.

In my experience, that process includes learning to live in the now, today, letting go of the past, rather than living for some reward in an after life.

Yes. As a member of the LDS Church, the members whole identity is wrapped up in the cloak of the tribe.

That is why I often use this quote:

"The individual has always had to struggle to resist the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
--Nietzsche

This is how I work my process.Each of us finds our own path in our exit process from Mormonism. There is no manual. We figure it out by trial and error. We each have a different set of dynamics and personalities and situations to work through. No two, are exactly the same. I am convinced that we are all well equipped to figure it out ourselves - with a little help from our friends, as they say! And so it goes.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 05:30AM

Thanks Susie great post. I think all too often this whole process of shifting paradigms is minimized by those on the outside of the situation, as if it should be so simple just to walk away. One does not change who they are over night. For many of us Mormon was not a church but who we were.

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 05:31AM

Well said suzie Q... For me much worse. I had the mormon
destroying angel as I kicked against the pricks nearlly
killed me....

read actualaliens.com click on abductions right hand side
and scan down to my two articals (majorfraser)

Posted by: deconversion ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 08:11AM

"But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself"

that cut deep, i'd love to 'own' myself again and not have to pretend. all that you said is very true and eerie.

Posted by: fallenangela ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 08:24AM

As I read, I nodded right along with you. Thank you so much!

Posted by: elfling ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 09:12AM

Well said.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:35AM

I mentioned this on a previous thread , that to some people they would have no identity if it was not for the Church.

If you say to some people "What are you? they would not answer teacher, soldier , truck driver. They answer Mormon, as if all they are is what they believe. To them that is their status symbol.

JB

Date: February 23, 2011 12:11PM

Just Browsing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I mentioned this on a previous thread , that to
> some people they would have no identity if it was
> not for the Church.
>
> If you say to some people "What are you? they
> would not answer teacher, soldier , truck driver.
> They answer Mormon, as if all they are is what
> they believe. To them that is their status
> symbol.
>
> JB

That is the power of the tribe, in my view. It's your core identity. Sure, we have other parts of our identity, but they all relate back to: I'm a Mormon. That's like saying: That's my tribe.
When I began to grasp the tribal construct of Mormonism, everything began to make sense. It was not about me, or the beliefs, or even the leaders. It was about how the evolution of the closed religious tribal world view.

Date: February 23, 2011 03:00PM

ozpoof Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Yes, indeed. It's scary on many levels. The threats alone, sometimes are enough to make a person pause.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 04:56PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 04:15PM

I stayed for many years cause I was scared of the real world.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.