Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: March 24, 2014 01:18PM

Yesterday I learned that my dad missed family dinner because he was in a meeting that went much longer than expected.

Apparently, a youth had threated suicide. So the stake pres, along with my dad (almost 70 years old, not sure his calling) and who knows what other men were alone in a room couselling this kid about 30 - 50 years their junior. A lot of the higher ups at a local level were in attendence according to my dad.

This really bothers me on many levels:

1- Did someone divulge this information to the the bishop? I highly doubt a youth would go to a bishop if suicidal.
What a betrayal of trust if it was a family/friend snitching this to the bishop. Worse even, how unethical to divulge this information to a bishop if not a close friend/family.

2- Threatening suicide is a lot different than actually attempting it. kids can say all sorts of things doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken seriously but certainly doesn't warrant a Mormon tribunal. This kid needs professional help.

3- Similarly, these men are not professional of mental health and should not be counselling anyone when it comes to suicide.

Just wanted to vent b/c this really bothered me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cactus Jim ( )
Date: March 24, 2014 03:17PM

I'd wonder if he's suicidal because of the church. I new a guy in the old days who committed suicide in Southern Utah because he was gay.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 24, 2014 03:23PM

I would say no they are not.

Additionally, from the sounds of the incident, standard confidentiality rules are not only ignored, they are weaponized against the person of interest.

If this person eventually does harm to himself, then again LDS Inc would have blood on their hands.

I see no difference between this and the JWs withholding blood from people that does kill them. This is a perfect example of the real dangers in promoting belief in this nonsense and an example of why mormonism is not a victimless crime.

A person dealing with these issues should be under the care of a trained professional that is licensed by a government agency. The client should be made aware of informed consent rules, and the person administering care should be liable for not upholding reasonable practices and standards of care.

Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: March 24, 2014 03:35PM

This is on par with discussing/asking sexual questions with minors.

Trained professional have Professional training. Morg leaders don't. (Even if they are health care professionals, they're not pracicing when they're playing stake pres etc.)

Morg leaders have no liability, professional responsibilities, ethical practices, compentency reviews/hearings and have no ethical charge to practice unbiased view when it comes to playing 'psychiatrist/psycologist'.

Advising people that are emotionally and mentally unstable (esp youth) with a definate agenda should not be permitted. It's just WRONG. It's not their place.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 24, 2014 03:44PM

They probably all gave him terrible advice due to their "eternal perspective"

The youth may not have said anything to anyone directly if suicidal, but it is not uncommon for a suicidal person to leave hints or notes, even if only subtle, with the hopes that someone will react and care. In that sense the youth will hopefully at least see that there is a support group available (even if it is a bunch of old men) as opposed to no one at all.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 01:38AM

I have witnessed in emergent times.. the calls to the bishop, sp and rs pres..(rs, only if necessary). They hover immediately and think its helpful, but usually get in the way for professional, medical, assistance. Anyone with knowledge of this critical situation could have called during this time of crisis, not knowing the additional problems the extra audience becomes.

Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: March 24, 2014 08:01PM

I would say not qualified. Unless they have a degree in the field of psychiatry/psychology, etc.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 12:29AM

The church is part of the problem

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 12:53AM

from my good friend Larry Braithwaite who was solo tasked by the bretherun with cleaning up the mess in the shed after a TBM shotgun suicide.

Said it was the grimmest assignment he'd ever carried out in his entire life.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 01:22AM

The SP is not qualified to deal with anal warts.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 25, 2014 03:38AM

I wouldn't have let the sp walk my dog. He's mean little man with a nasty ego problem. Arrogant, doesn't begin to describe.

To let him even speak to a suicidal person would be putting that person in extreme danger. He's the type that would push someone over the edge and then shrug his shoulders and walk away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.