Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:49AM

Any of you remember Colonel Thomas Kane? Whatever became of him?

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:01AM

... on one obscure backpacking trip in the Allegheny Mountains in northern PA and southern NY we stumbled upon a very low attendance Mormon historical site ... A Catholic Church !!!

Who'd a thunk?

Thomas built it for his mother as fulfillment of a promise, his first promise to her was to "never join the mormon (cult)" -- he honored his mother on both counts.

The church honored his by preserving this church (emaculately I might add) ... and the morg hasn't "morg-a-fied" it too awfully much.

The town is "Kane, PA" by the way.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 24, 2011 06:00PM

Presbyterian to be exact.

You're right about the Church in Kane, PA though. The Church bought it up because Kane was considered a friend to the Church. The small Branch in the town meets there— or at least they did in the late 80s. As a missionary I served in Kane for about 7 months.

Colder than hell there. No fun tracting.

In any case I think Ron was referring to a poster who went by the CTK handle. Or maybe you already got that. Sorry if I am not catching your humor.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:14AM

As for the RfM poster CTK, let us simply hope he fully recovered. Many old timers drop in from time to time to touch base and recharge the batteries. Maybe we'll see him.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:25AM

What more could a man want ?

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:28AM

... ;-) sorry. Don't know what became of CTK from RfM.

Is "recovery" even a possibility? I wouldn't think so.

Date: February 23, 2011 11:32AM

I did mean the old poster. He was as full of piss 'n vinegar as anyone I've ever seen on here since 1996.

Ron

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:46PM

Seriously... I was driving down the road with a carload of gay fares I'd picked up, and he stepped in front of the ol' police interceptor and well...

Steve Benson was doing reserve police duty that night... Saw the whole thing...

I was never cited, but a few tried to pin a medal on me...

Kept praising me for doing trash clean up, but I was only doing my civic duty...

The guy wasn't who he said he was, and he had a cadre of TBM trolls who were encouraging him in his homophobic bullshit...

Barely worth a footnote in RFM history, IMHO...

Date: February 23, 2011 02:34PM

LOL Cabbie, I thought you were on the wagon! What are you talking about old boy?

Date: February 23, 2011 04:28PM

And I promise, I was as sober as I always am...

Of course I was quite a bit younger and not as practiced at dealing with road rage as I am these days...

I'd watched with dismay as my gay friends on the board (TLC, MJ, Aussie John, and a nevermo from W. Va. named Shakjula, among others) were periodically subjected to CTK's bigoted rants and abuse... By then I'd established a reputation as a straight shooter, and our military pretender tried a couple of times to suck me into his spheres of influence...

I wasn't buying, and I posted my view that after waitresses, gays were my favorite fares (plus one of my old gf's kids is gay, and I helped raise him--mostly by encouraging his mother to get a bunch of therapy--and I still love the guy who's in his 40's now).

To give you some background, the "J" in jaywalking stands for Jefferson, our third president to be exact... In the course of a discussion about Fawn Brodie, I mentioned her research on Sally Hemings and how DNA evidence indicated TJ probably fathered one or more of her children.

CTK took issue with that one, and ripped into me, claiming "The Cabbie is wrong as usual."

He was referring to claims by some of Jefferson's descendants that said that liaison didn't happen... They'd even hired a couple of scholars to support that belief, and first thing I thought when I saw their stuff was I was reading some Mormon apologists' nonsense again...

Anyway, the old fool shouldn't have tried to boost a cabbie with a cap pistol, which is what he did... I've demonstrated here a few times I know a bit about a few subjects (and I stay the hell away from stuff like music and economics where I'm functionally challenged). DNA and history are two of them, and I learned grad research skills in an MA program at the U...

It's not absolutely conclusive that Jefferson fathered one or more of Heming's children but there's a damn solid case. Hemings belonged to him, having likely been a half sister to his late wife, and the only other candidates were his brother or a couple of nephews who did occasionally visit Monticello. And there's the Hemings' oral family tradition, and Brodie's research, taken from Jefferson's notes, that Hemings only conceived at times when TJ was visiting Monticello... And Hemings' children were the only ones freed under the terms of his will...

Okay, enough... The tie-in with Mormonism is that the Moaps (Jesus Smith and I have determined this is the appropriate abbreviation for "Mormon apologists"), unable to discredit Brodie's stories about Joseph Smith--witness how Bushman now acknowledges them--were trying to target her on the subject of Thomas Jefferson and his alleged slave mistress...

And of course the claims by Jefferson descendants rejecting Sally's relatives as part of their clan were tinged with just a bit of racism... Just a bit, of course...

As I said, Steve Benson was the first one to arrive on the scene of the carnage and checked my facts... Tom (TLC) put up a thread supporting me that blew me away; it was totally unsolicited and ran four or five to one in support of what I'd said...

After that, the Col. had a few credibility problems... Oops, I forgot, he also threatened me physically...

Afterwards, a number of trollish posters who encouraged him were unmasked, and apparently several others--including at least one woman--tried to impersonate him in the months following, so the old board was set so that he could only use that moniker by posting as "registered" with the original password...

After that he seems to have gone the way of the golden plates...

CZ mentioned over dinner at an Exmo Conference that he was convinced CTK was a TBM troll... Susan isn't talking, but she insisted I'd met him one time, which I sincerely doubt...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

Date: February 25, 2011 09:57AM

And it's a great story. I love it

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 01:04PM

He referred to himself in the third person didn't he? It's been years, I hope he's doing OK.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 02:20PM

I think the kernel was banned for life here. What a loon!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 02:34PM

but most times, it was over the top and/or bigoted. I think he liked hearing his own voice... or in this case, admiring his own writing.

As I recall... he would refer to himself in the third person.

And since we're on it... who remembers our TBM resident, SRM?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 04:44PM

Date: February 23, 2011 05:20PM

Seriously? wow.

Posted by: Siog ( )
Date: February 24, 2011 05:48PM

Roaring, I hope.

(An Irish expression: May he die roaring.)

He had ugly opinions.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 05:22PM

It was always the same and kind of his identifier. And then, yes, he'd always refer to himself in third person. Kind of a Bob Dole thing.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 05:31PM

Not the cloying LDS painter, but the guy here who started having visions -- words written in the air, hallucinations on the bus, deep secret meanings in blinking streetlights, etc. -- and then found some woman who believed him and, I think, they rode off into the new religion sunset together.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 08:55PM

I remember CTK. He was OK, UNTIL he started posting about gays. Then it got a little weird. No, then it got VERY weird!

There was J. who was a nevermo British woman living in Germany, whatever became of her?

There was a really cool girl who was a neveremo, she was living with her lover, but she dumped her because she wanted to get back into Mormonism. Her story really touched me.

There was the British golf pro who went to America to marry the girl he met on RFM. Wonder what happened to them? Hope they are still together, still happy.

So many others, too...

Posted by: Wallflower ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 09:49PM

...He had lots of interesting opinions, and usually, in my opinion, expressed them in a thoughtful manner. He definitely disagreed with the practice of homosexuality, and was often villified, ridiculed, and yes, personally attacked, for his stance by many on this board who fancy themselves to be broadminded and tolerant. But CTK seldom, if ever, responded in kind. He seemed to prefer dispassionate argument to emotional attacks. I myself have come to disagree with CTK's view of homosexuality, but when it came to personal attacks, CTK was more sinned against than sinning.

Date: February 23, 2011 11:18PM

And above all don't rock your world by asking some others about what really went down... You might wind up questioning your perceptions...

My e-mail box was full of comments about the abuse he subjected people to... The subject still comes up from time to time...

CTK was told explicitly by this site's regulators to stop posting on the subject of homosexuality, and in typical narcissistic entitlement fashion, he persisted...

I was innocently discussing the science fiction book "Dune" with another poster, and CTK chimed in with "at least the WORD WE DO NOT USE HERE got theirs," referring to Baron Harkonnen...

Univited...

He absolutely misrepresented a statement I made in one of my first posts here and then attempted flattery and sucking up to me based on that perception...

I literally tried to ignore him for months until the attack I described above occurred. At that point one of my oldest friends on the board e-mailed me, asking what I was going to do...

He brought his own do-it-yourself crucifixion kit, and I helped him use it...

From Beck and Freeman: "Narcissists are particularly apt to get enraged at those who hold them accountable for their acts."

He did...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 11:37PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Wallflower ( )
Date: February 24, 2011 05:18PM

...and you attack him when he's no longer here to defend himself. Real nice. My recollection is that CTK always managed to hold his own, even when he was in a distinct minority. Could it be he bested you from time to time, Cabbie, and you just can't get over it?!

Posted by: síóg ( )
Date: February 24, 2011 05:54PM

"He definitely disagreed with the practice of homosexuality, and was often villified, ridiculed, and yes, personally attacked, for his stance by many on this board who fancy themselves to be broadminded and tolerant. But CTK seldom, if ever, responded in kind."

Are you fucking joking?

The man was vile, ugly, disgusting. And he had a fixation on the King James version. It was the only translation he could tolerate.

Tolerate is the wrong word. The notion of 'toleration' was not programmed into his motherboard.

Date: February 25, 2011 04:32AM

Wallflower appears to be using a TBM tactic of rewriting history according to the dictates of their fantasy and beliefs... And that bit of pseodo-empathy in the phoney "emotional reflection" is particularly crass...

The way I look at it, WF, is that I'm making a statement that the kind of ignorance and de-humanizing attacks he personified don't deserve to be condoned; they still persist in bigoted apologists like you who defend them, and as long as that is the case, the evil he did will persist, your disingenuous and dishonest disclaimers not withstanding.

I don't regard a person's death as a reason to discredit the evil they perpetuated; to Godwinize this a bit, we don't cut Hitler any slack simply because he committed suicide in 1945.

I don't even cut my own family that slack; the Mormon half, including my great grandmother, grandparents, and great aunt whom I loved, were bigoted racists whose actions I won't defend, and I'm grateful that prejudice expired with my parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 05:42AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 25, 2011 09:11AM

Wallflower is yanking your chains with the famous Paranoid Mormon Technique #2: If you tell the truth, they will discredit you by painting a rosy picture of their victim and calling you liars. Into eternity, apparently.

Relax. What does it say about Wallflower when he or she defends a scumbag like CTK? Well, every scumbag has his fan-club; look at what's going on in Mississippi right now:
http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/470241/proposed_mississippi_license_plate_would_honor_kkk_leader/

And then there's that Joseph Smith Fan Club with headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 25, 2011 01:13PM

CTK often did have interesting things to say, but when the subject of homosexuality came up, which it did often, the guy simply could not stop himself. He just went completely ape-shit irrational. It was painful, not to mention revolting, to watch.

I know of nobody who was more thoroughly homophobic than him, and few who were as homophobic, and I have known some doozies.

Posted by: Starry ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:29PM

I remember the Col. Thomas Kane from the late ninties too.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: February 24, 2011 12:16PM

I never liked him. Whenever the topic of homosexuality came up he became obnoxious. With time I learned to avoid his posts. Don't remember the details but there was a lot of fuss about him leaving this board and never coming back. And alot of discussion wether he was a troll or not. Anyhow I'm guessing he has found a new sandbox to play in.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: February 25, 2011 06:17AM

homosexuals. Kane claimed that God was going to cause San Francisco to break off and drop into the ocean to punish the gays. And, of course, everybody else in the Bay area.

So he passed away, eh? Geez, he died before Jesus got back. What a surprise.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: February 25, 2011 12:01PM

"Here's why..."

I remember a post he started that reached over fifty mostly angry responses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.