Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 12:42AM

I went through the temple around 2000. I've never heard of pay lay ale until I came here. Was this chanted in the prayer circle? Where does it come from and what does it mean exactly? Does something replace it now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 12:49AM

As I recall, it being over 20 years since I was a member, it was instruction given before the "true order of prayer". It was taught while we were still in our seats and consisted of raising both arms high over head and chanting pay lay ale as they were lowered to our sides. Repeat 3x.
[edit: by in our seats I mean we were standing at them, but not gathered in the true order of prayer circle. Someone will no doubt correct what I no longer remember correctly.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 12:50AM by Void K. Packer.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 01:00AM

I went to the temple for the first time a month after the 1990 changes. I think pay lay ale was taken out then. It certainly wasn't in when I went through. Pay lay ale, supposedly, was Adamic for "Oh God, Hear the Words of My Mouth." So just imagine people saying Pay lay ale instead of the "Oh God" part and you'll get the picture. Adamic is apparently the language that Adam spoke to Eve in the Garden of Eden. The temple just changed it to English from Bullsheet.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 01:00AM

Search "pay lay ale" in the following document, which compares the pre-1990 temple ceremony with the one that replaced it:

http://www.i4m.com/think/temples/temple_ceremony.htm

Basically, according to Mormonism, the phrase means "Oh God, hear the words of my mouth!" (in the "Adamic" language, apparently) and was removed from the temple ceremony in 1990.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 01:06AM

Hands straight over head
"pay"
Lower arms 'to the square'
"lay"
Lower hands to waist level
"ale"

Repeat two more times.

Cult? Why do you call us a cult?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 01:08AM

Yeah! What's wrong with Paying. laying, and then having an Ale?

Let me guess who wrote that line into the ceremony.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 01:09AM

Adamic?!? Bwahaha!! Gah, this religion is so effin crazy. Adamic language, that's cute.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 01:12AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamic_language#Latter-day_Saints_movement

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 01:13AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 03:31AM

I ranked these Pay, Lay, Ale A-DAM-ICK (Y) words right near the top of the crazy parts of the temple ceremony. Up there with:

1. The slimy touching with vegetable oil by a little white-haired senior

2. The clown costume complete with a green-fig-leaf apron and slippers

3. The continual tying and untying of the clown costume

4. Standing and chanting in a circle like at a witch coven ceremony

5. Slitting my own throat and slashing my own belly and letting the guts run out if a ever ratted on my temple promise that I never knew before hand I was going to have to make.

Posted by: moron I ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 04:34PM

Pay Lay Ale means, "Oh god hear the Words of my mouth", you did it 3 times while chanting and lowering your arms as indicated above. In my dis-affected years I was forced to go through the temple for a few reasons....I told my wife to watch my mouth as I lowered my arms...I felt that the true adamic language was mis-interpreted...I mouthed (quietly) "what the f*ck"...three times...while lowering my arms....my wife just about lost it.

Was this the only adamic we are aware of?....does anyone know of any other words or passages with pure adamic?

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 04:48PM

Adam Ondi Ahman is supposed to be adamic.

Posted by: stoppedtheinsanity ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:40PM

"I mouthed (quietly) "what the f*ck"...three times...while lowering my arms....my wife just about lost it."

That made me laugh. I wish I had, had a better sense of humor about the whole thing. I almost Sh!t myself, that's how funny i thought it was at the time...seriously!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 07:28PM

I've not broken any temple covenants.

I didn't go through the Endowment until I was a disbeliever.

When they said "bow your head and say 'yes,'" I bowed my head
and said "bullsh*t."

Posted by: michaelgbluth ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:04PM

Sounds like the name of Wasatch Brewery's next pale ale:

"Pay Lay Pale Ale"

Deliciously tongue-twisting

Posted by: enochianmagician ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:34PM

"Pay Lay Ale" (if that is the correct spelling) is something I chanted with much bewilderment as I raised my hands in the air while attending the temple in the late eighties (prior to the 1990 changes). No other aspect of the temple ceremony (although there were many) made me feel more like I belonged to a satanic cult.

What's interesting is that the word Pele may be attached to the occult via Enochian Magic or also referred to as "Angelic Magic." The founders John Dee and Edward Kelley seemed to have some significant parallels to Joseph Smith and his contrivance of the Book of Mormon and ultimate "one true religion."

"The raw material for the Enochian magical system was "dictated" through a series of Angelic communications which lasted from 1582-1589. Dee and Kelley claimed they received these instructions from angels. While Kelly conducted the psychic operations known as scrying, Dee kept meticulous written records of everything that occurred. Kelly would look deeply into a crystal "shewstone" and describe aloud whatever he saw."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enochian_magic

I find it interesting how Kelley gazed in to his "shewstone" while Dee kept meticulous records (I'm sure it is just a coincidence that this is primarily how Old Joe and his faithful scribe Oliver "translated" the B of M). Nonetheless, one of the objects associated with Enochian Magic is the Pele Ring. It is considered an occultic object and upon studying it you can see all the marks of the garments engraved upon it.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/977493/the-enochian-pele-ring.html

Just another faith promoting piece in Joseph Smith's never-ending web of lies.

Cheers to the "True Order of Prayer!"

Posted by: enochianmagician ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:36PM

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 05:38PM

Also known as the exact moment in time that I realized I was in a cult.

Posted by: notsure ( )
Date: March 28, 2014 07:44PM

It's funny what Brethren,adieu said about knowing then he was in a cult. 10 yrs ago after me and my wife went through when we got married. We were driving home and I asked her what kind of cult we had just joined. To this day I do not remember saying that but she insists that I did. I guess she was shocked that I said it at the time. Huh who knew. I must of had a burning in my bossom at the time that it's all bs but it took me till 11 months ago to finally see.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.