Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 02:43PM

"Christlike love is the greatest need we have on this planet, in part because righteousness was always supposed to accompany it. So, if love is to be our watchword -- and it must be -- then by the love of Him who is love personified, we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others.” -- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. ‪

Although Sister Reeves comment about disturbing things happen when people get naked might tie for worst - if it weren't so funny.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 02:44PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 05, 2014 02:50PM

Ugh - sorry. I don't know why the spacing is all weird on this post - that's why it's been edited three times but nothing seemed to help.

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 02:53PM

Wait he just said that out loud? We must be love personified while judging others for their actions? Wtf is wrong with these people?? Throw the word Jesus in there and they faint.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 02:57PM

And who decides what a "transgression" is? Him?

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:34PM

God aka the bretheren

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:00PM

"Advocates for transgression" is a reconstruction of what he said, but am I misinterpreting something here?

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:02PM

Jeffrey R. Holland's love was so great for Tom Phillips that he refused to answer a single one of his sincere troubling questions - - - As documented here:
http://mormonthink.com/files/phillips-holland.pdf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 03:03PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:05PM

There was some stiff competition for worst quote, but I agree, you picked a front runner. I've been biting my tongue a lot during conference to keep the peace, but I hope my family can pick up on some of these ridiculous quotes.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:09PM

So here it is...from a Mormon Apostle....do not support gay people, their desire to be married, or have families, or to have equal rights. Do NOT support women who want equality with men. DO NOT support a woman who wants to work and have a career and not be a stay at home wife and mother. DO NOT support your child if he /she is gltb and wants to remain close to their family and be an equal member of that family. DO NOT support a man who wants to stay home with the kids while his wife works. DO NOT SUPPORT ANYTHING THAT GOES AGAINST WHAT WE TELL YOU!!!!!

I hope this brings it to light just what has been said this morning. It's pure hatred. And do not call pure judgement and bigotry..."love". Clearly this man had no idea what this word means.

Date: April 05, 2014 03:26PM

Not just "do not support" but IF you support, you are stabbing the Savior and his Christlike love in the back by your unrighteousness. You betray the Lord himself when you advocate for whatever the Mormons deem "unrighteous."

Posted by: MrsTrog ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:38PM

These people obviously need to re-read the bible. I thought Christ made a point of spending time with the poor, downtrodden, and "sinners." As people have mentioned before, people in the Mormon church would not even recognize Jesus if they saw him.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:10PM

In other words, love is our watchword but be sure not to extend love to anyone who isn't living the Mormon life?

Did I get that right?

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:14PM

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:16PM

I suspect this quote will be modified for the Ensign.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:24PM

I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of GC talks with those published in the GC Ensign.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:26PM

Why do TBMs love Holland so much? I see relatives gushing about him all the time and they are the younger set. My niece got just got "unfollowed" on facebook because of the way she prefaced her conference comments. I should have used my head and unfollowed her yesterday because I knew this was coming. I actually smiled when I did that. I'll not be paying attention to comments about conference but if I see them, the person is getting unfollowed for the weekend or longer.

Posted by: today's anon ( )
Date: April 07, 2014 06:49PM

They mistake his rhetorical ability for the "spirit".

And I use the term "rhetorical ability" loosely.

Posted by: anonski21 ( )
Date: April 05, 2014 03:44PM

That lunatic woman, takes it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.