Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 05:20AM

to care.
There is one way in which most of the US seems to be controlled by Big Brother twice a year. And they do it without complaining (just like the robot people in 1984 and the CULTers).
That is the changing of the time back and forth from Normal time to Daylight Savings Time. I HATE CHANGING THE TIME. It seems like a big penis power trip to make us suffer! I say that because when it was decided on, the lawmakers were mostly those with penises. Nobody seems to provide a good reason to change the time twice a year. It is completely asinine.

What moron actually thought that they could change the amount of time that the sun shines on any given point on earth on any given day by changing their watches? The sun doesn't suddenly look at it's watch and say "Oh crap, I can't come up for another hour." Really people?

ANy scientist will tell any moron who asks that the sun and its relationship to the earth (when it is shining here and when it is shining there!) has NO RELATIONSHIP to what we call time. Time is a arbitrary label humans have placed on it. DO some people really think we have that much power? Talk about ARROGANCE. Was it a CULTer who decided on changing the time? It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I seriously hate it.

Doctors and psychologists are against it because it fucks up our body clocks etc.
Can anyone provide a GOOD reason for changing the time twice a year? A Good reason means not because we think we are all that and a bag of chips too and have more power than all the gods who ever lived and by damned let's change the time and prove how macho we are and that we have control over something like this. So, it can't be a let's do it cause we are so powerful that we can. That is not a good reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 07:04AM

No DS in my state, Queensland, mainly because it would mean very hot evenings and nights in the north and west. The greatest population is in the SE, where I live and I still love it in summer when the sun finally sets around 7pm. 8pm would be too late.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 08:05AM

It has been debated quite a bit.

The end result is that it does not save on energy consumption, which was the reason for it in the first place.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 12:59PM

I thought it was recreation biz trying to sell more stuff for use after work...

the energy-saving thing was a reason Long After DS came into use, wasn't it?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 08:43AM

China doesn't change at all. One time zone for the whole country, which is roughly the same size as the US lower 48. And no DST.

Reality is the sun coming up in the morning. All time zones and time shifts are attempts to adapt to that reality. China ignores all of that and sets a national schedule by edict. That is really simple to do, and if people in western china are expected to be at work two hours before dawn, tough.

Time zones are a method of adapting schedules to reality. So is DST, which is actually the standard, and "Standard Time" is the minor variation. The reason for that is another reality - for the vast majority of people, noon is not the middle of their day. They are awake more hours after noon than before it. DST does a better job of matching people's schedules to when the sun is up. Remember, the sun coming up is reality. Time zones and clocks are artificial, all of them. ALL OF THEM.

The only reason we need Standard Time at all is so children don't have to go to school in the dark in the middle of winter. Seriously. That is also why they traditionally get out of school at 3:30. That gives them time to get home before dark during the shortest days of the year.

You want simple? Adopt the Chinese system. Ignore reality.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:19AM

BTW, Hawaii doesn't do DST because it is close enough to the Equator, that sunrise and sunset don't vary much between summer and winter. Places near the equator do not do DST.

Arizona doesn't change for three reasons. One, it is too damn hot to be out in the afternoon sun if you can avoid it. Better to have an early sundown and enjoy a cooler but darker evening. Two, it is far enough south that dawn on standard time does not come ridiculously early in the morning. Three, it is full of cranky politicians who do dumb things out of spite. This keeps Steve Benson well supplied with cartoon material.

Australia is in much the same situation as Arizona. Hot and moderately close to the equator. I think they have saner politicians, and certainly fewer Mormons, which seem to produce many of the Arizona nut case politicians.

The southern tier of US states could function just fine on DST all year long, or even so-called standard time. They do it mostly to stay in synch with everyone else in the US. The northern tier benefits much more from the change. In Seattle, dawn changes by 4 hours between summer and winter. Even with DST, dawn starts around 5 a.m. in June.

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:58AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Arizona doesn't change for three reasons. One, it
> is too damn hot to be out in the afternoon sun if
> you can avoid it. Better to have an early sundown
> and enjoy a cooler but darker evening. Two, it is
> far enough south that dawn on standard time does
> not come ridiculously early in the morning.
> Three, it is full of cranky politicians who do
> dumb things out of spite. This keeps Steve Benson
> well supplied with cartoon material.
>

I like the fact that AZ doesn't change its time. But it leads to other problems. For example, since the rest of the country changes time together, the states that don't change appear to be moving. Thus, from the perspective of a Californian, half the year, AZ is in the same time zone as CA and half the year it's an hour ahead.

This is also seen in radio and TV shows. TV shows that are on national networks don't change. Prime time starts at 7 and ends at 10. But shows on other (mainly cable) networks do change, because the time the air is based on East coast time, which changes relative to AZ.

It's even worse with radio. I listen to talk radio, and it's a syndicated nationwide network, so the AZ commercials are always wrong around the time change, because they forget to air the commercials that say "DJ XYZ is now on at 3 pm due to the time change."

And, since the rest of the country is constantly reminded of when the time change is, they are prepared for it. Since we don't change time, we aren't reminded of when our relative time changes.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 11:45AM

The hottest months in So Cal are often September and October, when we have "Santa Ana wind conditions" = winds from the interior desert rather than from the ocean. Because by that time of year, the days are shorter, no one seems to mind. If June-July were our hottest months, people would be agitating to ditch daylight time. As it turns out, it produces more after-work daylight hours (exercise, walk the dog, gardening etc) for us before things really heat up. A hot day here in October is usually well tolerated because it's dark by 6 pm/18:00.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 12:55PM

Not so smooth in Az as you think.

If you are in Utah and drive south on Hy-89 into Page,Az (where I live) you change an hour. Five miles later as you drive onto Navajo land you change back. As you pass through Hopi land (which is in the middle of the Navajo Reservation) you change to AZ time. 40 or 50 miles later you change back to Navajo time and one last final change to Az time as you approach Az proper .All this before you even get to Flagstaff, Az

Try explaining that to a tourist.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:10AM

As a farmer, I liked DST. Meant I could work later in the spring and fall.

Ron Burr

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:24AM

Ben Franklin

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:47AM

It is for farmers. My father was a farmer and it gave him more daylight later in the day for staying in the field. Most people do not really understand just how all that food ends up in the grocery store. It has always been done to help the farmer feed all of you city dwellers.

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:56AM

I'm all about supporting the farmer, but how does it really give them more daylight to work with? Yeah, it stays light longer during the day, but its staying dark an hour later in the morning? The time change does nothing to change the amount of time that sunlight bathes the earth each day. It merely makes the sun both rise and set at a little later time each day. Don't get me wrong. I like the time change and having those 9 pm summer sunsets.

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 11:48AM

Interested Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is for farmers. My father was a farmer and it
> gave him more daylight later in the day for
> staying in the field. Most people do not really
> understand just how all that food ends up in the
> grocery store. It has always been done to help
> the farmer feed all of you city dwellers.

It's not for farmers at all. Farmers work when the sun is up and stop when the sun is down. You could call sunrise Midnight and sunset 2 pm and they would still work according to the sun.

DST's benefit is for the 9 to 5ers. The theory is that they get an extra hour of evening daylight. Which is true, but extreme as you go farther north. E.g., in June, sunset in Seattle is past 9 pm.

Posted by: gulfcoastguy ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 10:20AM

It's not that hard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Blame the Germans.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 10:36AM

Yup, I worry about this problem every day of my life-to the exclusion of the rest of the country's, nay - the whole world's problems.

I shall not rest until there is justice for those who are loathe to setting clocks forward or backward (depending on the season).

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 10:44AM

Get the f*ck over it. It's Daylight Saving most of the year anyway. I'd prefer DST to be the standard, with anothe jump ahead in the winter. I'd gladly get up in the dark in exchange for a little extra daylight in the ebening, so I don't feel like going to bed at 6:00pm

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 11:06AM

...sorry. You probably didn't see my exaggerated eye roll...

Date: April 06, 2014 11:25AM

I was speaking to the OP.

Date: April 06, 2014 05:54PM

Please don't say GET OVER IT. It is too CULTish.
I have serious internal clock problems and don't get over it.
Interested and funeral taters - THE SUN SHINES ON THE EARTH A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME PER DAY!
Changing the clocks around doesn't change that. That is a human made thing.
We are NOT powerful enough to change the rotation of he earth around the sun, PERIOD. Or the axis of the earth, PERIOD.
Ok so nobody can give a real reason for it. That's fine. I've heard it for years.

As far as farmers and crops being helped, the SUN SHINES ON THE CROPS A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME PER DAY AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR F*CKING CLOCK SAYS. That was my whole point.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 06:56PM

I have internal clock problems too, and love daylight savings time. If I didn't have to deal with the "outside" world, it wouldn't matter and I could go to bed and get up whenever I want, and not worry about what "time" it us.

Like it or not the "outside" world all has set times of when they are open, when you work, when you can transact business with them. As it is, it the sunrise in SLC is never earlier than about 6 am, which I can (more or less) deal with.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=220&month=6&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Without it, the sun would be coming up at 5 am (and waking me up then), and getting light that early means that I would be dragging by the end of the day of the "outside" world, that unless you are a hermit, you are forced to deal with.

Date: April 06, 2014 09:31PM

I am OK with leaving it at one or the other. I just don't want it changing.......
I'd personally like to set the clocks ahead 1/2 hour and leave it at that all the time.

Changing the time is what pisses me off - it is Orwellian and nobody complains. Except me. I feel like I am in a room of brainwashed idiots twice a year as people go around exhausted and don't mention the reason why.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 05:59PM

I guess you have trouble changing the time on your clocks.

Date: April 06, 2014 06:14PM

Well, why is a day 24 hours? It doesn't need to be. We could have divided the planet's rotation into however many segments we wanted, but some penis-wagging government thugs decided to go with 24 because some stupid scientists going by magical numbers said so. Bah-humbug! I want a 50-hour day. Fifty's a nice number. And it means I get more hours of sleep. ;^)

And while we're at it, why a 7-day week? Just because some bronze-age bozos said so? A 5-day week makes more sense. It divides nicely into 365. (Well, 365.2-something.)

Date: April 06, 2014 06:41PM

being a fan of the Metric system (Système international d'unités), I'd support 100 time zones.

the.end.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 06:58PM

I guess you are wishing for 100 hours in a day.

Date: April 06, 2014 09:37PM

yeah, youbetcha!

and, 100 minute hours!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 09:37PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 06:59PM

It was first done during World War I, and was so unpopular it was stopped after the war until World War II. (see http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html)

It was called war time, and was done supposedly to make people more efficient at work.

I think each state should assert their right to decide if they want it or not by a popular vote.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 07:01PM

I have some collectible analog clocks and I have to change them twice a year. And the built in digital clocks in my receiver and TV are hard to change. Some people claim that DST saves air conditioning costs, but I don't see how changing a clock setting could reduce the heat from the sun. This is a modern claim as DST was first proposed in the late nineteenth century. Humbug to DST.

Does this edit make you happier, guy?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 07:46PM by donbagley.

Date: April 06, 2014 07:19PM

DST was Falsely touted as an energy-saver, that I agree; but it was in place long before the 1970s.

Please! read the wiki article FIRST if you want to comment here!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.