Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 05:55AM

I need to vent. Mormon mission make me so angry. I have a little brother who is very anxious to serve people. He wants to make a difference in the world and help others, which I think is great and I fully support it. Unfortunately, he can’t seem to get past the whole mission thing. He has said before that he is not going, but then he starts talking about how he wants to help others and for some reason he thinks the only place he can do that is on a mission. I have tried to get him interested in mission trips with Christian group and he has showed some interest, but he always comes back to the Mormon mission. I know it is because it is what all his friends are doing and he doesn’t want to seem uncool (being the cool guy is important to him). I am afraid if he goes he is going to get all caught up in the Mormon experience and the indoctrination and become one of those annoying self-righteous Mormon boys. What is worse is my mom, who is a nonbeliever but still attends the church, is encouraging him. My mom and brother think he can get away with going on a mission and serve others, but not teach the Mormon doctrines (he believes some of the doctrines but not others). I could go on and on about how angry the church and their missions make me, but I think you all get the point. Some word of comfort would be very welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 06:34AM by bella10.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 06:50AM

Just ask him to write out why he wants to go on a mission.
Then list the things he will accomplish on a mission.

If his reasons for going would not be satisfied by going on a mission then he should reconsider the whole endeavor.

The idea of "helping people" is an interesting one.. what sort of helping does he actually want to do? Mowing lawns? Driving people to sacrament meeting? Eating people's food? Indoctrinating innocents who are impressed by sharply dressed young men? Cleaning chapels?

Missionary "helping people" is one of the lowest and least imaginative forms of helping people there is.

A better way to help people, I think, would be to dedicate a few years of your life to studying engineering. Learn how to design sanitation systems and water ways. Provide these services to people in financially disadvantaged countries and areas for next to nothing.

Or, study medicine and share your gift of healing with those who couldn't normally afford first world medical science.

Help out in your local area. I can almost guarantee there are homeless and hungry people in his own city who he could help right now.

Or he could just be a really nice person and smile at everyone he meets. God knows the world could do with more of those people. They make a huge difference.

Missions are not for helping people. They're for bringing new tithe payers into the LDS church and indoctrinating young members. If he actually wants to help people he'd do better than spending two whole years of his life following the whims and inclinations of an LDS mission president.

But also, unfortunately there's the thing we all have to come to realize: people are free agents to choose their lives as they will. My family think I'm crazy for leaving the church. I think they're crazy for staying in it. We shouldn't try to control those we care about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 07:20AM by Chad.

Date: April 06, 2014 12:51PM

You expressed exactly how I feel! He has often said how he wants to go into psychology and become a therapist so he can help improve others lives and he talks all the time how he wants to go to Africa and participate in a project to better peoples circumstances. I want him to do all that, but he thinks a mission is going to fulfill all his desires. My family tries really hard to pretend TSCC is something or can be something it is not. I do understand that he is his own free agent to choose as he will. It is just hard to accept that a mission is what he chooses when it is going in the wrong direction of what he expresses he wants.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 07:17AM

They might do little favors for people as a way of buying time with them. But anyone is allowed to knock on doors and offer favors if they are missionaries or not.

Those who actually make a difference don't do it by randomly walking around neighborhoods asking to help those who haven't asked for help and don't likely need it while they try to push a religion on those they meet.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:33AM

Tell him that paying Churchco $450 per month to be a salesman ain't gonna help anyone.

He could give the local homeless shelter $450 per month.

That would trump any missionary work.

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:38AM

You might suggest Youth With A Mission (YWAM) or maybe the Peace Corp. Both would be of great service to people.

Posted by: thederz ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 09:39AM

I'm in literally the exact same situation. My little brother going on a mission is one of my biggest fears/worries. I wish I had more to say.

Date: April 06, 2014 12:55PM

It is a scary thinking of what could potentially happen. I am glad I am not alone in this, but it is true I don't have much say.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 10:02AM

Serving people & helping the world =/= spreading lies

Sorry, but the truth is often not "comforting."

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 10:10AM

Your mom and brother really think he can go on a mission and get away with just helping people and not having to teach any of the mormon doctrines? Sounds like they are going to be in for a rude awakening. Your brother likely won't be able to take a proper sh!t for 2 years without some overbearing mission pres, zone leader, senior companion asking him if that is a good use of the Lard's time.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 10:18AM

There is nothing stopping your brother from putting in a suit and going door to door to talk to people about the Mormon cult. He should spend a weekend doing this. That would give him an idea about what he's in for on a mission.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 12:57PM

I'm curious. What parts of Mormonism is it that he doesn't believe, and won't want to teach?

Date: April 06, 2014 01:34PM

He doesn't believe that you have to be Mormon to go to the "celestial kingdom" and he believes you don't have to be sealed to your family in order to be with them in heaven. I don't know if there is anything else he doesn't believe though. I don't talk to him much about my beliefs because he talks to me in slightly a condescending way.

Date: April 06, 2014 02:49PM

My very very TBM sister doesn't believe that either. Yet, all of her kids were married in the temple. It's one of the core beliefs of mormonism.

In fact, it's the one reason so many stay in, and/or join up. I would think it would be difficult to be a missionary if you didn't believe that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 02:50PM by madalice.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 02:15PM

AmeriCorps (along with related programs,i.e. FEMA Corps) is a structured national service program. Young people who participate can earn money toward their education. Encourage your brother to check it out. I know someone who participated and it was a good experience for her. It's also a great resume builder.

http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps

Date: April 06, 2014 04:06PM

Thanks, I will check that out. It sounds like a great program!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 04:28PM

One of my pet peeves and concerns is the fact that the cult encourages young people to be missionaries before they have had the education and experience of living enough years to investigate and learn what religion really is and what they think about it. I believe most people, unless they break the mold, are only capable of knowing if they want to serve a mission when they are older and have been around the block a lot, not just a time or two.

I personally think he is falling for the cult's indoctrination and peer pressure which is strong and compelling. His belief that a mission will allow him to help others is not the main focus on a cult mission. He will be required to indoctrinate, plain and simple. Sure, there might be opportunities here and there to help others, but most everything is aimed at getting those converts and obeying and following the mission rules.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2014 04:31PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: April 06, 2014 04:32PM

Read the thread about the mishey in Ireland. That's what the church calls helping. It's crazy.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: April 06, 2014 04:35PM

Another great service option would be the Red Cross's Disaster Service.

They go to places hard hit by major disaster, and help folks to recover.

It doesn't pay any salary, but you can stay home and live a regular life and just go out when they call you up and you can spare the time. They want you to be available for three weeks when you do go -- and they will pay for your hotel room and give you a per diem for meals and other expenses.

But if you are busy and can't go, you just tell them "Sorry, not this time."

And that's that.

It's certainly a better way to serve others than knocking on doors peddling a bad product.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.