Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:37AM

This was posted on the FB page for a stake in Tremonton, UT. Now I'm wondering in what context the HS cheerleaders shared their faith. I mean...I'm all for free speech but...:

Good Job BR Cheerleaders! You did a great job tonight! What a nice way to wrap it up! You looked super all year! Thank you for the wonderful examples you set tonight as you boldly shared your faith with everyone there, as you announced your desire for missions and temple marriages among other worthy aspirations! You are amazing!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 01:04AM

I wonder too. Why the HS cheerleaders and what if one wasn't Mormon. OH that's right. She is the token cheerleader and they could care less about her.

Posted by: Lilburne ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:28AM

I wonder what happens to the utah economy if the church tanks?

The church brings in an estimated $8 billion per year a lot of which drives local industry in COB and associated services. Further there is the LDS tourism bit with members flying in to see the church sites.

the church is probably the biggest global company in Utah. So if it did tank how hard would this hit the economy there?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:55AM

The defense industry is huge. Also mining and manufacturing are close behind.

Lots of tourism is independent of anything church related, so not much of a ding there. Ski resorts and parks being the main pull.

Any loss of jobs is bad of course, but hey, that is what food storage is for!.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 09:47AM

Those losses might be augmented by the fact that the 10% that the people are now able to spend and put back into the economy.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 05:13PM

I think on average that the first 12-18 months can be harder financially and economically on those who get out of the Morg because they've lost their entire worldview and have to rebuild on a new base. For me my income tanked around 50% as my loss of Mormonism was quite devastating. But I recovered and am much better off now over a decade later for having left the church.

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:48AM

Imagine if 60% states population all got a 10% raise at once and could spend that money on cars and boats and restraunts and home improvement.

The cult sucks hundreds of millions of discretionary income out of the state and then uses it to fund temple and ward house construction around the world. They are a major drain on the economy.

The colapse of the cult would be an economic boom to the state of Utah....except for those COB employees who would be left holding pink slips...but gawd will provide for them so don't let that concern you.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:03AM

A non-CULTer would not get the time of day in Tremonton HS let alone voted into a cheerleader position.

Lilburne - I guess Utah would have to go on their tourism and scenic wonders like other states.
Otherwise, their economy would tank with the CULT. They do have several nat'l parks and quite a bit of tourism.

In addition, there are several large corporations. It'd be tough but eventually they'd survive.

No matter what, the state and world would be better off without the CULT even if they became like Bangledesh in terms of economic problems. Their birthrate is already higher than that of Bangledesh.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 08:29AM

I see a reason for fighting for social change, but where is the reason I shouldn't live in UT? I will bet you could find some of this happening in about every state in the Union.

I wounder what would have happened if Martin Luther King figured that segregation was a reason he should not live in the USA.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 08:53AM

Do you have to wonder about this?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 09:00AM

Tremonton is a very small TBM saturated town. If you blink while driving through, you might miss it.

So very tiny compared to the rest of the state, which has many great places to live.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 09:29AM

Maybe they wrote messages on their tummies?

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:02AM

To posters upstream, the Utah economy would be fine without the church. Most of the economy is tied up in manufacturing, information technologies, and tourism unrelated to Mormonism (skiing, Zion's, Arches, Moab, etc.). Despite sitting in the middle of Utah County, my day-to-day work never touches on the church in anything but a tangential fashion.

It's not like Adobe, Novell, and others will just pack their bags and leave when the church goes. As another poster argued, it may be a net economic benefit to see the church go as its employees move to more productive sectors of the economy. Due to its outsourcing and recent layoffs, the church doesn't even get counted as one of the big employers in the state. Part of that's because various child operations (like BYU) aren't counted as part of the monolithic 'church,' but the COB has been shrinking lately.
https://jobs.utah.gov/wi/pubs/em/annualreport/07annual/lrgstemp.pdf

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:45AM

Duwayne Anderson (author of "Farewell to Eden") did an analysis of life expectancy and showed that non-Mormons living in Utah had a lower life expectancy than the average non-Utah American. By several years.

I guess that's a blessing - a non-Mormon won't have to live as long in Utah.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 05:26PM

This is not good news to read.

Time to get the hell out of Dodge!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:16PM

Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 04:33PM

Well, I might know how this could happen.
I have a daughter who was a HS cheerleader in Cache Valley.
At the end of the year the senior cheerleaders are recognized for
their hard work while on the squad. They are often asked what their future goals are. The TBM girls will often say "go to BYU, find a husband, go on a mission, have a zillion kids"--- Or a combination of those. It happens so often that I think the mormon girls are coached to say it.

It is a giant bitch slap to all the non-mormon students.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 10, 2014 11:22AM

At their 20-year HS reunion they will ALL be jealous of the non-mormon girl.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 04:54PM

They did the splits for Joseph.

Posted by: Nancy Drew ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 09:22AM

Oh my god, I grew up in Tremonton UT and I can say, that is 100% what it is. I hope nobody on that team isn't mormon, no, scratch that I hope there is one. And I hope she gets pissed and makes a big issue of it.

although i don't think it would change anything, everyone in treetown is pretty TBM.

ughh that's terrible you have to put up with that, thank you for reminding me why I moved to the other side of the world.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:58AM

Tremonton is a bad example of Utah.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:32AM

And, actually, there are probably several nonmos in Tremonton since many people who lived there worked at ATK/Thiokol, though I'm not sure how many people still work at ATK. My dad taught at the high school there for YEARS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 11:45AM by cl2.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:20PM

my uncle lives there and also worked for Thiokol for many years. I bet our families know each other. My cousin also married a girl from Tremonton (from the other side of the family)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 09:47AM

Excellent reasons? Where? You are talking about a town, and an incident right? Not a region (a paradise, some see it as) and certainly not running from or ignoring anything. Let's try again. What are these excellent reasons for living in one of the other 49 or elsewhere on the planet?

Posted by: AmIWhiteYet? ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 11:51AM

Having grown up in Tremonton and attending the same high school, in one respect, I'm not overly surprised. In another respect, it's about as two-faced as it gets. When I was in high school, the drill team was commonly referred to as "marching mothers". Nearly every year, Tremonton leads the state in teenage pregnancies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.