Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 11:39AM

After standing outside the temple at my first child's wedding some time ago, I was in need of some cheap therapy, and therefore wrote an article, and also started one of the many 'temple-marriage' petitions out there. Doing this really was quite therapeutic. It made me feel better, didn't cost anything, and of course never put a scratch in the mighty armor of god's one true church (A fly on an elephant's ass doesn't even come close as a comparison).

At dinner with a group of good friends (all nevermo) the other night, I was explaining how I will be missing my 2nd child's wedding later this year. As is normal with those not familiar with the cult, shock, outrage, and disbelief were unanimously expressed. I told them of my need for some more good 'therapy', and threw out an idea regarding temple work being done for the dead. When I explained what temples were actually used for (dead-dunking, etc), and that eventually these same rites would be performed for each of them after they die, they all seemed horrified. They couldn't believe it wasn't considered some sort of invasion of privacy, and to a person said they absolutely would not want this done for them.

This led to me deciding and telling them I would create a simple website trying to do something to increase awareness of this. As before, something tscc will not feel in the least, but again, we're talking about therapy here.

SO...I have 2 small requests. I've set up my humble little website. I'm just trying to kick against the pricks enough to help me feel a tiny bit better for having to again miss what should be a happy 'family' event. Could you visit the site, and make suggestions, preferably positive ones?

Also, in your opinion, will privacy laws with regard to the dead ever change so as to inhibit this sort of carte-blanch ability to baptize the world?

The permanent url will eventually be 'dontbaptizemebro.com'. For now though, the working link is:

http://www.wix.com/sydney2/mormontemplewebsitepage2.

Thanks to all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 11:59AM

Did it....even though I am already on the records though I resigned, they can't do it again, right? I hate the wedding thing, really. My ex's family could not go, my siblings except two older brothers could not go, my bridesmaids, sister, etc, could not go, best friends could not go, cousins, etc.

It alienated his family and they totally ignored the fact that we got married because it was 2500 miles away in a "temple" that they could never go in. I didn't get it then, but I do now. Heck, now they aren't even supposed to wear the real dress during the sealing. Just for walking out the frickin door, whoo hoo.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:08PM

Will look at your site, but can I just check that as far as I remember baptisms for the dead were only submitted by family members. Am I being silly or, please God, am I forgetting what the morg's rules are?
Hope your therapy goes well.

Date: October 11, 2010 12:12PM

I think the issues they have had with baptizing Jews and all the temple work members like to do on 'designer names' (famous people) have shown that work can be done for pretty much anyone. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that pretty much that the mission is to baptize everyone who ever lived other than infants, etc.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:18PM

Instead of "Who we are:" I think it sounds better to say "What we do:" or "What we offer:"

Its probably just a preference of mine so not a big deal.

I think it is awesome that you are taking your sadness or anger and doing something with it.

Date: October 11, 2010 02:06PM

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:19PM

Small edit:

Change spelling of "denegrate" to "denigrate."

I appreciate your website. We all struggle against tscc in our respective ways.

Date: October 11, 2010 02:14PM

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:29PM

As much as I want for this to work, I have a few concerns.

#1. TSCC doesn't give a damn what we want. Providing them a list of people who don't want temple work done is like saying, "Here, we have done all the leg work for you." They believe they are doing the right thing for our heathen souls. Our requests for them to leave us alone are just more proof of how much we need the work done.

#2. Why do you ask for our address? I'm just curious- mainly b/c I never want to give it to TSCC. I don't want them contacting me, or contacting anyone in my life after my death.

It's not that I don't wish that this would work- I really do wish that! I just think that those arrogant Mormons are going to do whatever they want to do, whether we like it or not.

Date: October 11, 2010 02:08PM

I asked for the address simply because I thought it may be needed to verify the person in case of a duplicate name and birthplace. maybe I should just take it off, I wondered about putting it on there.

Date: October 11, 2010 02:12PM

I agree they will still do whatever they want to do. I somehow think they would be putting a bullet in themselves from a PR standpoint if they took a do not baptize request list, and baptized from it if it were ever found out. You are right, though, they won't change, but I believe public awareness will help the situation. Just does not seem right to most normal people.

Date: October 11, 2010 02:43PM

I really like the idea. I also agree that there needs to be more public awareness. It would definitely put a crimp in their "I'm just a normal Christian like you" line if more people knew about this.

However, I think you should add a disclaimer saying that your website isn't a promise that it won't happen, and that you have made no claims as such. You can mention that TSCC has not agreed to honor your requests, but that you are providing the service as a central place for people to add their name to a protest over this act and asking to be exempt from it.

It's a great idea, and I wish we could make them listen. Someone once said something, though, that makes me realize how little control over it I have. They mentioned that just like I can't stop a Christian from saying a prayer for me or a Catholic from lighting a candle, I can't stop them from doing this.

"As a teen, I went on youth trips to the temple and got wet in the name of saving others. As an adult, I pay 10% of my income to go back to the temple over and over and sit through the same boring rituals to endow faithful dead members of other faiths into my religion. I'm Joe Shmoe, and I'm a Mormon."

Date: October 11, 2010 02:48PM

Thanks for the helpful comments, Lily. I actually have a disclaimer on page 2, please let me know if you do not think it is clear enough. Thanks!

Date: October 11, 2010 03:01PM

I see the disclaimer now. Sorry for not looking closely enough before opening my big mouth. (Not the first time that has happened.)

Since I know that people learning about this ritual for the first time might be shocked, maybe mention that while many people find it offensive, it is fairly meaningless in practice. Even LDS admits that we are free to accept or disregard this practice in the afterlife. When they baptize dead people there is no change in their religious affiliation here on earth, and, as far as we know, they are NOT counted in Mormon statistics. Otherwise someone might think grandma is no longer Catholic or Jewish or whatnot.

I sit on the fence with this issue. On the one hand, it's meaningless and doesn't change a thing about me. What do I care if some pimply teenager gets wet in my name? On the other hand, it's really disrespectful! I try to see it from their point of view, that they are just doing what they think they should to offer us salvation, but I struggle. I still get pissed that they do it.

Nevermind that there is a passage somewhere in Mormon scripture talking about how the spirit in you when you die is what will be with you forever, and that you can't change your mind after death. Kind of shoots a big hole in the whole baptism for the dead thing, huh?

But great job on doing something about this ridiculous practice! More people need to know about it.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:33PM

Thank you, I very much appreciate this service. My husband's family is all mormon so I have always known that they would try to baptize me and my immediate family when we are gone. I would love to be able to head them off at the pass. thanks.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 02:53PM

Sounds about right.

Who says religion isn't devisive ?

Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 02:55PM

As a nevermo who was not allowed to see my wife's kids married in the temple, I can certainly empathize with you. I admire your passion and the desire you have to make a difference.

That being said, I won't be completing the requested information and I doubt that you'll have many takers.

You're requesting personal information with no assurance as to how that information is to be used or how it will be protected. I wouldn't even enter my address, much less my DOB and POB.

Your site needs an "about us" page stating who you are and your bio. It also needs a "contact us" page with valid, verifiable contact information.

Most importantly, you need a privacy policy that states very clearly how you will protect personally identifiable information.

Without the above, your odds of making a difference are less than the previously-mentioned fly on an elephant's ass.

Date: October 11, 2010 03:16PM

Thanks for the advice. Page 2 has 'who we are' as well as our privacy policy, and page 3 has the contact us form in order for the information to be sent. Have had several requests sent in so far, so I think there are those who feel safe using the internet for such a thing, but at your advice I did further clarify our privacy policy on page 2. Thanks again.

Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 04:17PM

Okay, I didn't see the privacy policy on page 2.

However, your 'who we are' section doesn't say "WHO YOU ARE!"

You are asking for name, address, etc., but there is no name, address, phone or contact information for whoever is asking for same.

Phishing websites are plentiful. Not all sites are what they purport to be. You may claim to be collecting names to give to the LDS church, but how does Joe Schmo know that you're not collecting names for your MLM lotions and potions get-rich-quick scheme?

Please understand, I'm all for what you want to do. It just requires more transparency. People want to know who they're giving their information to.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 05:06PM

You forgot to put "Endowments" on the list at the left side, although most people probably won't know what that means anyway.
And technically the policy now is that mormons are only supposed to do this for their own ancestors but it's not guaranteed.

Posted by: topping ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 03:33PM

Posted by: Emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 04:34PM

...how they can do this for themselves, would not only show willingness to be transparent but also gives people an option.

I wouldn't submit my personal information on the website based on the fact that I just don't know you!

Posted by: Freddie Blassie ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 01:25AM

My condolences on missing your child's wedding. Isn't it sad to have that thought in connection with a wedding?

I'm a nevermo, but one of my children is a mo convert. Said child's wedding day was very difficult for me. It was my first, last and only time on the grounds of a mo temple.

I suppose the day may come when I will miss my grandchildren's temple weddings. I'm not looking forward to it.

Kudos to you for doing something productive with your pain.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.