Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Zephyra ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 09:58PM

Luckychucky's comment at http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,134639,1236670#msg-1236670 reminded me...

Is it true that freshly deceased temple-type TBMs can only have the privilege of being buried in their temple garb if their recommends are current at the time they die?

I recall a comment in RS years ago, one lady said, "So this is one reason it's important to ALWAYS have a current temple recommend. You never know when you're gonna die!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:01PM

Never heard of that when I was LDS

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:03PM

My Grandma was buried in hers and she was pretty much inactive her whole life. I think the only time she had a recommend was when she went through (as an elderly woman) the first time.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:29PM

You have to have a recommend to dress the deceased in the temple costumes.

Date: April 11, 2014 10:32PM

Ah Ok.

So does the deceased wear the green apron & baker's hat & everything? Or PLEASE tell me they leave that ridiculous stuff out of it.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:41PM

Nope. They don't leave anything out. Its the whole get-up! Ugly green apron, funny baker's hat, weird robe, even the garmies! Mormons believe that's the outfit you need to be in to get to heaven.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:41PM

Nope they wear the whole outfit. I first noticed this when my tbm family buried my tbm mother's parents in the 90s. My tbm mom was buried in her temple clothes last November. My tbm sister-in-laws did her dressing. They had to have temple recommends to do it.

Date: April 11, 2014 10:53PM

If there's an open casket viewing Wouldn't non-mo's not be allowed to see that top secret garb?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 11:20PM

Yes

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:40PM

Nope.
I dressed my TBM Dad in his temple clothes.
I have never had a TR.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )

Back in the mid-70s, my great grandmother was decked out in her temple clothes even through she hadn't believed Mormonism in years. The funeral wasn't at a ward house - I believe it was held in a protestant church under the direction of her local bishop along with a pastor. I don't know if my grandma requested this or if my TBM (at the time) great aunt insisted on it. It caused some consternation and supposedly not long after, an edit came down from headquarters regarding funerals and burial in temple clothing.

Posted by: Sateda ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:17AM

I dressed my mother in her temple clothes. I had no recommend. My husband helped. He did not have a recommend either. My father, a recommend holder, was also there. Never once did he protest my or my husband's lack of temple recommends. I was never questioned about my temple recommend status, or my LDS membership status throughout the whole process from dressing the body to speaking at the funeral. It is only an issue if the family makes it an issue.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:39PM

that would be a one-way Interview, 'eh?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU! just Nod 'Yes' or 'No'....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 10:39PM by GNPE.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:50PM

To be buried in temple clothes a member must have been endowed in life and not excommunicated or resigned, a current recommend is not required.

A member must be endowed to dress the deceased, there is no requirement to have a current recommend.

Yes, they will get the full goofy treatment. They will be in their robe and apron for the viewing, with the veil or baker hat added just before the lid of the casket is closed. Women with have the veil over the face.

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )

so who is going to prevent a non recommend holder the right to dress a non recommend family member however they want?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 10:58PM

Just stipulate in your will that you want to be buried naked.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 09:11PM

BUT the will may not be read before the funeral. You must make it known and put in a penalty clause, like disinheriting anyone who has anything to do with putting you in temple clothing.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:58AM

The same reason that TRs don't have pictures on them yet...

In Mormonism, things are so taboo that TBMs can't imagine someone would ever cross that line.

I was able to take someone's recommend and walk right into the temple without so much as a second glance because there's no checks and balances. Have a valid recommend (that is not yours) of your gender? You can probably walk right in. Mormons believe that no temple recommend holding member would EVER give it out, so why waste the money putting pics on there?

Same with the clothes. I'm always ridiculous amused when I see the "for use by endowed members of the COJCOLDS" tag on garments and ceremonial clothing. As if a damn tag is going to do anything.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:31PM

I never thought about borrowing someone's recommend. Maybe I could do that to go to my nieces wedding. I haven't told any family yet about my disaffection. Unfortunately, I did tell the bishop and I'm not willing to pay any tithing to get a recommend.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 11:13PM

If you've been through the temple, the mo's will bend over backward to make sure your send off is in that stupid get up.

Your only hope, is to make sure someone is in charge of your funeral that won't let that happen. While you're at it, make sure that your funeral won't take place in a Mormon building, and that a mormon PH holder won't be officiating. If the Mo's are in charge, you will be dressed in the clown suit, and your send off will be the first discussion. Your funeral song will probably be "praise to the man".

I've seen this happen over and over. To me, the most insulting thing they do is pulling the veil over the face of a woman before they close the lid. That really upset me. It was like they're going to insult the women right up to the moment they put them in the ground. Apparently God can't stand the sight of women.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 06:16AM

If the relatives approve, that's the attire of choice for Mormon casket-wear.

If someone requires a TR, it would be a local bish or someone with high and mighty authority issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 06:21AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Sherriebaby ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 08:41AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I will now state in my will that I want to be buried in ANYTHING EXCEPT temple clothes! And tell my family.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 10:40AM

ditto

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:01AM

It kind of amazes me that they let just anyone see a dead person in their temple clothes. I would love to see a nevermo's reaction to that

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 04:12PM

I attended the funeral of a TBM acquaintance in SLC and was very surprised to see poor Harry laid out in his full temple regalia, for all to see. It didn't match up with my memories of him and almost seemed to be a mockery of him because he looked so foolish to my gentile eyes. I was familiar with what temple clothes looked like, but I'd assumed they would have waited to put on the final touches until just before closing the casket.

I think it doesn't even occur to many TBMs that a gentile might be at the funeral and find the experience odd.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 06:26AM

In a twisted way, I think they allow nevermos to see them all dressed up in hopes that they will be curious about it and investigate the church in a positive way. I don't think they get how creepy it is.

Posted by: Dumbledore ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:24PM

My uncle died of AIDS in 1990. He came out and told us he had AIDS about 6 months before he died. For some reason, he always liked the church. Anyway, he was buried in his temple clothes. Which always made me happy because my grandma really wanted that... So I'm glad she was able to get her way.

However, I still remember how pissed I was when my grandmas bishop kept talking about "sin" during the funeral. I was a TBM 18 year old at the time, but I remember thinking there was something very messed up about the judgemental, non comforting tone all the ward members had at the funeral.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:05PM

This whole policy of dressing dead people in temple garb was one of the things that made me realize that mormonism was a man-made religion. There was a whole littany of other things leading to my exit, but this was one of the final nails in the coffin. I mean, come on, really? I couldn't think of anything less dignified to dress up a dead person in than temple clothes.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:29PM

My own dear Mom lived to age 96.

I her waning years I moved her in with me for as long as I could.

As I was helping her get dressed one morning I asked her if she missed wearing her g's.

After a long pause she admitted that she really hadn't thought about it.

Priorities change over that long a time I suppose.

I did make sure she was buried in her angel duds even though her recommend had expired decades ago.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 02:07AM

As a kid I remmeber them putting the veil over my mom's face. It was horrible. She was mid-thirties and didn't look "right". Nobody explained anything about the veil thing to me. In my young mind I could only think that she'd never be able to breathe with that thing over her face. I wonder if any others had reactions like me when they were young?

When I got a little older I went to a viewing of a teenager. He didn't look at all like the same person. He looked very bloated due to the way he died. I went to a view for my grandmother and although she looked okay, that's what I remember about her, not her when she was alive. I decided that after that one I wasn't doing viewings anymore. I suppose it's a comfort to some but it's just the opposite for me. I like remembering people how they were when they were living. I've had people try to force me to go look at the bodies and I walk away. People can be so overbearing. They think that they know what is best for me and they don't. At my dad's funeral I wouldn't even go in for the family prayer. I wasn't TBM anymore and I just hate the whole thing. Some people get hysterical and I don't like seeing the casket closed.

Posted by: brother not of jared ( )
Date: April 13, 2014 10:06AM

OMG - I gotta get out of this cult like NOW!!!

And if heaven is a place full of people in under-garmies, aprons, and bakers hats - I don't wanna go. Please send me to the outer darkness instead!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.