Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:45AM

...many of you say that they dressed their father, mother or another dearly departed one in their temple garb, green apron and all.

What does that mean?

To put clothes on a deceased body, wouldn't that require shifting the body to get around the shoulders and other body parts? Does this actually take place?

I can't think of anything more macabre.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 11:46AM

I have an ex-sister-in-law who has told her kids she REQUIRES them to dress her. I think my mother would have been very upset if she thought we wanted to dress her (or my father).

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:01PM

Being buried in garments with masonic symbols is a violation of Christian doctrine. It is the height of cultism.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:04PM

They dress the loved one in the funeral home. It's does sound rather macabre.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:05PM

ANY dressing of deceased requires manipulation!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:08PM

Yes, they actually have to lift up a dead corpse and dress them. When I first posted here it was about my stepmom dying and I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was, but someone on here had a very traumatic experience having to dress their loved one. That has never left my mind since. I don't care how much I loved someone, my kindness stops when asked to dress a stiff dead person into a clown costume.

The other thing that is done is that after the service, and before the casket is closed, is putting a veil over their face (for women) That may be even creepier then having to dress them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 12:12PM by Tupperwhere.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:25PM

STORY!

So my insanely TBM aunt's husband passed unexpectedly while away on business. They found him in the hotel room next day. Naturally an autopsy was required.

When the body came to us at the funeral home, we of course planned on dressing the body. (I was TBM at the time)

The funeral director had lots of experience with mormons and he knew that we planned on doing the dressing. He informed us that he had put the garments on the body, but would leave the rest to us.

We go into the room, it was the ex-son in law, me, another close family friend (total douche, but I digress) and it seems to me one other person - maybe the funeral director himself, who knows.

The body was there, in the garments, but what the funeral director failed to let us know was that because of the autopsy, the body was filled with what felt like newsprint. They had SKINNED him from behind and stapled him all up shut. And he was NOT tight like unto a dish.

I had to tuck his white pant legs up and felt the staples on the back of his legs. When I went to put the tie on him, somebody lifted his shoulders so I could get underneath, I could see the back of his head all Jack Kennedy snatched together and stapled.

Shivvers.

Date: April 12, 2014 12:27PM

ugh, that's horrible!

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:42PM

Does this stuff still go on? I just can't fathom this.

Date: April 12, 2014 12:45PM

yes, my experience happened just 2 years ago. I didn't dress her (thank god) but her sisters did.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:56PM

My TBM family did this last November when my mother died! So it's still going on!!

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 12:55PM

rogermartim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...many of you say that they dressed their father,
> mother or another dearly departed one in their
> temple garb, green apron and all.
>
> What does that mean?
>
> To put clothes on a deceased body, wouldn't that
> require shifting the body to get around the
> shoulders and other body parts? Does this actually
> take place?

Not a big deal, in open casket funerals, the deceased is always dressed in something other than the clothes they died in. Unless you think an open casket funeral should feature a guy in a hospital gown, or wearing bloody clothes from a car wreck.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:06PM

But in my experience, the funeral home generally takes care of dressing the body, rather than the family. I'm talking about non-lds families. I couldn't imagine having to do that.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:09PM

and that's the point. Who else besides the mortician is expected to dress the dead? I can't think of anyone besides Mormons. They can request that they be buried in a certain something...but actually requesting to do it themselves? I'm sorry, but that is not normal at all.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:06PM

I have 2 stories:

1. Even though I'm not ex yet (paper wise), I have told my son that I DO NOT want to buried in the stooopid temple clothes. I need to write it down so people know. Blue dress, barefooted.

2. My 16 year old son died at home and the coroner did an autopsy. We didn't dress him, but at the viewing you could see where the top of his skull was cut off and they had stitched it back up with a big cross stitch. When I saw that I nearly flipped. My poor baby. When we felt his chest it was crunchy.

I don't wish that experience on anyone.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:16PM

If you ever have to dress a dead body, the best way is to cut all of the clothing up the back. That would include pants, sleeves, ties,sashes, belts etc. When that's done, tuck all of the edges under the body. This way you don't have to lift or hardly touch anything. I would also clip the back of the bakers hat to make it go on easier.

I learned this from my cousin the mortician.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:24PM

The hilarity ensues when they are resurrected.

Big laughs.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:24PM

lol my uncle is a mortician too. Good advice

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:23PM

I just want to be cremated. I don't want my loved ones to have to look at or touch my dead, cold body.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:25PM

me either. They can take all my organs, I don't really care. Then put me in the cremation bin.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:32PM

sincere9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just want to be cremated. I don't want my loved
> ones to have to look at or touch my dead, cold
> body.

What a tick, doesn't TSCC teach that we are not to be cremated? How will we be resurrected when our ashes are strewn all over kingdom come and back? ( insert sarcastic eye wink here).

Date: April 12, 2014 01:34PM

I know, my TBM family would be horrified if they knew I want to be cremated. I'm betting that they die first so that it won't be an issue later on

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 04:31PM

Could not in theory the body of a buried dead person have been decomposed significantly by the time of the resurrection (assuming that you believe in it), if that time is far away?

Date: April 12, 2014 04:28PM

Cremation is traditional in a number of faiths, particularly Eastern/Dharmic faiths (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Hare Krishna faith, and so on).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:32PM

I think it's something best done by a professional.

I certainly would not do it and don't want family to dress my dead cold body.

Perhaps this idea of dressing dead family members is a carry over frontier pioneer days of hand carts and covered wagons when their were no official morticians around.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:35PM

it must be. My mom told me that when her grandmother died (she grew up on a farm in Idaho) that they kept her body in another room in the house (in a casket) for almost 4 months because the ground was too frozen to dig 6 feet. Talk about nightmares!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:43PM

I gave my mother orders NOT to die in the winter for that very reason. She smiled and said, "I'll try not to."

Thank goodness Mom has a sense of humor.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:36PM

I kind of assumed it was they didn't want "unworthy" people touching the costumes.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:40PM

but non members are allowed to see the costumes. Makes total sense!

Date: April 12, 2014 04:32PM

Then perhaps might qualified professional 'worthy' believers (when available) be chosen?

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 01:40PM

I asked my mother what she wanted done when the time comes. She was kind of inactive at the time but sort of still believing some of it. She still said she did NOT want an LDS funeral and did NOT want to be buried in temple clothes. I don't think the Mormons around here will try to interfere but I kind of worry that I'll have to be on "lookout" to make sure nobody sneaks in and tries to dress her at the funeral home.

My mother had our dad buried within 24 hours of death and she said she'd like the same thing done for her. That should solve any problems because the ward probably won't even know she died for at least 24 hours.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: April 12, 2014 02:41PM

My mother had left instructions that she was NOT to be buried in temple clothes. When she died, her mother and sisters tried to override her instructions and the wishes of her children (and children are next-of-kin if the deceased isn't married). We kids prevailed, however, and she was not buried in temple garb. I was a diehard TBM at the time but still thought it would be horrible to violate her wishes and even worse to put my exmo and jackmo siblings through having to see her in temple garb when she had never believed in the church and hated the temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.