Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: prefan84 ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 07:49PM

Today I went to my SIL baptism. The whole thing was awful, I was angry as her mom and aunts stood and cried, telling her how proud they were of her decision to be baptized. How manipulative and confusing for an eight year old girl. Made me glad to have left the church five years ago.

Anyway, at the end of the "service", her father invited everyone to join the family at a nearby restaurant to celebrate his daughters baptism. So, I went to lunch and ate with my wife and about thirty other people and socialized for a couple of hours. It was awkward, especially since everyone there knows I'm an atheist and don't think highly of the LDS church.

As lunch wrapped up, each family/couple was given a bill for what they ordered. I was surprised and could tell that some of the others were as well. My question is, is it normal to invite others to events like that and then not pay? I found it to be rather rude but I guess it's smart to clarify beforehand from now on. What say ye RFMers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2014 07:50PM by prefan84.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exrldsgirl ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:09PM

I guess 'normal' is not a very objective word. In the general mainstream American culture, most people would not do that. From what I've read on these boards, though, it is not that unusual among Mormons.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:10PM

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:17PM

Yes, in this culture I would have been surprised if the invitee of a big group picked up the bill for the group.

Sorry.

What an all-around irritating day you had!

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:19PM

If they invited you I think it's weird. If they said "hey, we're hanging out at such and such place afterwards, please join us if you want" then I would prepare to pay. I wasn't there though, so I can't say. But it sounds like you were invited as if it was their treat.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:37PM

Fake generosity. "Hey, my good friend, why don't you buy yourself a drink, and enjoy yourself?"

Date: April 19, 2014 08:42PM

Thanks for the laugh donbagley! I'm definitely going to use that line when the opportunity arises.

I appreciate all of the responses and empathy.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 19, 2014 08:42PM

When my stepson got married we arrived a few days early. Her grand parents and parents invited us to dinner at a nice restaurant. They ordered the most expensive things on the menu. We did not.

My husband got up toward the end of dinner to use the restroom. The waitress came with the bill. They told her to put it at my husbands plate. She did. I was speechless!

When he came back, I could tell he was a bit confused. He very graciously paid the tab.

The only good thing I can say, is at least we didn't have to pay for drinks. Grandma did get her desert to go though.

We will never ever be going out to dinner with those leeches again. By the way, these people aren't poor. I know for a fact that they have millions, and live off the proceeds of those millions. My husband was the only person there who still gets up and goes to work every day.

Date: April 19, 2014 08:59PM

Madalice,

Your husband is a very kind man, I would've refused to pay for the others. Your story makes mine seem like no big deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.