Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 03:58PM

My son (11) keeps asking if Santa and the Easter Bunny are real for a couple years now. We have let the lie live on just because. We told the truth today. His response to the Easter Bunny being mom and dad was "Is Santa real?". We told him no. His response "My life is all a lie?" As he laughed. I said "Is Jesus real?" He said he had no idea. Lol. So, his life is all a lie and so is mine. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:02PM

Happy Easter!

Date: April 20, 2014 10:07PM

Thank you! Happy Easter to you! I hope you were able to enjoy the beautiful weather today ( if it's not raining). We have had a great relaxing day and made a big ham dinner! :).

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 11:09PM

No rain. Not exactly a warm day though. Worked outside all day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2014 11:09PM by madalice.

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:26PM

I remember when I was 11 or 12 my parents told me the Easter Bunny wasn't real.

That same day I remember thinking to myself, "Perhaps Jesus is like the Easter Bunny but for adults. Maybe one day someone will reveal to me that he isn't real too."

I thank whoever invented Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for providing a small light to guide children out of the myths of modern religion.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:36PM

Chad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Perhaps Jesus is like the Easter Bunny but for
> adults. Maybe one day someone will reveal to me
> that he isn't real too."

That's word-for-word what I said to a friend who asked me what I thought about teaching children that Santa was real.

I said, "Just remember that one day when you have to explain that Santa and the Easter Bunny are not real, they'll be like, "Well, what about Jesus then?""

They decided the kids deserved to have the magic of Christmas anyway, but I was thinking that it would cause confusion later.

But I always say that Jesus is like the adult's Santa. He knows when you are sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for GOODNESS' sake."

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 11:12PM

I give my kid a big light. I explained from the start that Spider-Man ghosts Jesus Santa and an infallible dad are all made up.

He still had fun looking for Easter eggs and talking about spring.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 09:54PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 10:02PM

Three thumbs up, donbagley...

Well done!!!

:)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 10:02PM

Easter Rabbi. LOL

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 20, 2014 11:07PM

If you take this idea to its logical conclusion, you just might arrive at truth...

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 09:42AM

My 11 year old found out about Santa this year. On Christmas day, she had kind of been doubting but we finally told her.

This was the last thing she still believed in, and my wife said "That's it, you know it all. We will never lie about this sort of thing anymore." And I sat there thinking....."well, except that I don't believe in the church or Jesus." And later, she found out about that too. So "now" we are in the clear lol.

Date: April 21, 2014 11:18AM

Hey there wanderinggeek! I think there is one *lie* you forgot to tell her about...BYU football?.

Date: April 21, 2014 11:41AM

Har Har Har.....

By the way, I made an entire thread about saying Hi to you. But you just totally ignored it....I guess I should have not expected less from a Utah fan.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:43PM

I didn't see it. I guess I'll find it. I took a nap! It was needed after this weekend. Lol.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:48PM

haha it's all good. I sent it last Friday in response to you saying HI to me on a different thread. I didn't want to high jack theirs so I started a new one.

I don't mind hijacking your thread though.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:50PM

Oh. Sorry it was unintentional. Did you all have a good easter?

Date: April 21, 2014 01:48PM

Still don't see it.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:54PM

I found it. :). Thanks for talking back at me. Lol.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:56PM

hahaha

no problem.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:16AM

What a great story. I hope your kid learned the lesson that it is so important not to take other people's word for things. Not your parents, not a church, nobody. Find out for yourself.

Best Easter Story ever, but this one's good too. A friend was putting a giant easter event together yesterday for a lot of kids and he said in an exasperated voice, "Geez--One guy dies and comes back to life and I gotta spend three days hiding eggs."

Date: April 21, 2014 11:19AM

Ha ha! That's funny but so true.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:24AM

It's like playing along with a little girl who has a dolly or a boy playing with trucks in a sandbox.

Imaginary friends are a sign of a healthy imagination and good developmental maturation.

Date: April 21, 2014 11:21AM

I led the kids on as long as I could just for that. I feel like I always knew things way too soon and my main goal in raising kids was to keep them kids as long as I could. DS was just so funny as he put it all together.

Posted by: Anon__ ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:58AM

My oldest started asking about Santa when he was five. I'm hoping that he'll apply that skepticism to the church as he gets older and that he'll help lead his younger siblings out of the church as well.

Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:37AM

I told my kids as soon as they could speak and comprehend things that Santa & the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy etc are not real, just fun traditions. I reinforce this lesson to my kids every year if the topic comes up. They're 10 & 7 now. They appreciate it because they've got it figured out while their friends at school are still debating about whether or not santa is real.

And when I found out tscc was bunk, I told them. Sundays are stress-free days now.

I still have no idea about Jesus. Without tscc to press the issue, I don't mention Jesus to my kids anymore. We just work on the attributes, y'know, patience, compassion, gratitude, etc.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:59PM

Yeah we forgot to include the tooth fairy, but about an hour later he said "that means the tooth fairy isn't real too?" Right. Lol.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 12:13PM

I have a friend that relates the story of telling his daughter the truth about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

She asked about the presents and easter eggs, who brought them? She was told Mom and Dad did it.

The daughter started crying and went to her bedroom.

About an hour later she came out, dry eyed and chipper.

Asked if everything was alright, she said she was glad they told her the truth.

She got thinking and realized when she grew up and had her own family and if had not known the truth, her and her family would be sitting around without any presents to open on Christmas.

Date: April 21, 2014 01:57PM

lOL..can you imagine? Ha ha! Her husband: " um, honey, we probably should buy some presents being Christmas is tomorrow!" Can you imagine having to tell your spoise the truth? She would have found out sooner than that, but that is funny.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:28PM

Date: April 21, 2014 02:34PM

He started questioning a couple years ago. We've just kept it up. We have a younger child and we didn't want him ruining it for her. :). However, our oldest knew by about 8.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 02:43PM

Beliefs are just Myths and Myths are just Lies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.