Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:34PM

I have heard of some terrible bishops on here, but I am glad to say that mine is not one of them. On Easter Sunday, after priesthood meeting, he asked me to stay behind for a few minutes. I was nervous, because I had previously expressed my feelings toward the church. This time, however, I came out and admitted that I consider myself an atheist. This was the first time I ever told anyone outside of my friends or family.

Bishop was very understanding, and told me that I'm at a point in my life where I need to decide whether or not this is for me. He asked me if I personally was getting anything out of it, aside from the idea that going to church makes you a better person. Because there are many good people outside of the church, and many bad people inside of the church, that's not what it's about. It's a question of whether or not you're getting anything else out of it - i.e. the actual doctrines of the church.

Basically, the bishop is telling me that I should leave if I don't believe in it. Because I am a good person either way, and he'll respect me either way. I just thought that this was awesome and thought I might share.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: subieguy180 ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:41PM

Thats great. I wish my bishop was like that.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 10:42PM

I think what he said is awesome too.

I am happy for you that this possible source of anxiety has now vanished...

...and I wish everything good for you in all of your future to come.

:)

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:27PM

I don't think that's necessarily unique. He's cleaning house - getting rid of the chaff. I've seen it done before.

He wants to make sure you DON'T share in his ward. He doesn't want you to infect the other members and cause them to realize the truth and leave, too.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: April 21, 2014 11:31PM

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 12:17AM

Sounds either made up by torpedo trolls, or this bish wants to do more for the civil, community..uhh could go both ways..

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 01:22AM

I believe the OP. And I think the man was being sincere. Not all bishops are a**holes.

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 04:23AM

I'm still on the roles non-believing, non-active, tell people I'm not Mormon. But my wife still goes and still kind of believes. The one thing I have noticed in the 14 years after waking up and quitting, the bishops don't seem to bother me. I've never once had to have a talk w/them about boundaries or why I don't believe, or had to turn down a "calling" or something lame. I once had one call me up one day and ask if I could meet him, which I did. But it just so happened to be that I was moving the next week, so he basically said "hey thanks for letting your wife and kids come, best of luck." They've all known I'm not active, don't pay tithing, etc. I think most are non-confrontational, although I read about the aggressive ones on this site. Most have way more pressing problems than me not wanting anything to do with their silly club.

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:39AM

They are not all pricks. One bishop told me that I should be the one to baptize my then 8 year old and that church attendence did not matter. I did not do it because I believe that the church is a hypocritical fraud. I have found that the ones that are pricks are the ones that strive to be bishop. I have known several that were in shock when they were called and they were not pricks.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:48AM

Haha, that's basically the same line my mom uses at me. Nonbelievers shouldn't be in the church. Especially if they can't keep the higher standards of the members.
So your bishop is better than my mom at hiding what he really thinks. I think both of them don't want wordly people "polluting" the flock. You might demonstrate that such scrupulosity is not necessary to be a truly good person, and then his sheep might start getting ideas.
My mom is no good at hiding the fact that she looks down her upturned little nose at me. Higher standards my ass! I would never stoop to the mormon level.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.