Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 07:02PM

I thought that atheism was the only belief communist nations allowed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: almost ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:35PM

And they are looking for more to believe in. Other Christian churches have been hard at work here so I doubt lds will get them all

http://gbam.tv/question-asked-to-atheist-which-they-could-not-answer/#.U1Sxi2WoYig.facebook

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:49PM

Date: April 22, 2014 11:15PM

If Atheism isn't a belief in no God(s) or afterlife what is it?

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 12:44AM

It's a lack of belief. It's "I don't believe", rather than "I do believe".

Saying that atheism is a belief is the same as saying that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby.

- "Do you have a hobby?"

- "As a matter of fact, I do! I don't collect stamps!"

Atheism is just the default position. It's how people are before they're taught to believe in a god. Believing in a god is a belief. But what comes before that isn't a belief. It's a lack of belief. It's where you stay when you don't ever form a belief. It's the same as how you probably feel about Zeus, or Ganesha, or Isis. You just haven't ever bothered to develop a belief in their divinity. It's as simple as that. Would I say that you were a believer in no Isis? Or that you have a belief in the non-existence of Ganesha? Of course not.

The god that Christians believe in is just one more of the thousands and thousands of gods that people have believed in throughout human history. I'm sure you don't have a belief in most of those gods, and neither do I. It's not that I believe there are no gods; it's that I don't know of a god who is worth believing in. I've never seen any evidence that causes me to believe in a god. Any of them. So I don't. And sorry, but that's not a belief. It's just like if I asked you if you believe in a fairy princess who lives on the moon and rides an invisible purple dragon, and you said no. It's not necessary for you to form a belief that such a being definitely doesn't exist. You just don't have a belief in the fairy princess and her invisible dragon, so when I ask you, you say no.

Date: April 23, 2014 12:51AM

I will file that away and remember this when discussing atheism. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Posted by: ScreenSaver ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 10:03AM

Isn't the definition of Atheism the "lack of belief in the existence of God or gods"? Isn't it possible to have a religious or spiritual belief that does not include God or gods? Can't you be both a Buddhist and a Atheist at the same time?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 10:57AM

If you look a atheist as "non-theist" then yes, you could be spiritual or religious without believing in any deity. That said, there's a common conception of it also implying a disbelief in the supernatural.

Posted by: Agnostic ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 11:00AM

Most people think of agnosticism as a lack of belief and atheism as active disbelief. Agnostics would say they don't know, and atheists would argue that there is no god.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 07:09PM

Oh, you haven't heard?

China is now a capitalist nation second only to the USA.

Smart enough to ally themselves with Walmart.

Too cagey to take on a belief system that takes 10% right off the top methinks.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 09:00AM

Having spent a few weeks working in China, I can testify that making money is their true religion. They work long hours, so there's no room for all the time sucking requirements of Mormonism.

Posted by: ChinaJebus ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 07:23PM

Google Taiping Rebellion. 20 million killed from 1850 to 1864 trying to establish Christ's Kingdom in China. Christians were the agressors for this one.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 07:28PM

Throughout history, weren't christians always the aggressors?

Date: April 22, 2014 07:30PM

If you count the Crusades and the Holocaust then yes.

Posted by: Isthisnameok? ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 02:29AM

uhhh loads more, like for example... the inquisition?

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:16PM

Protestants and Catholics are the only 2 quasi-christian religions recognized in China. They estimate over 100 million of them. Hoaks says the TSCC has thousands. Chinese would be attracted to the temple and genealogy. but TSCC is way behind the curve. I would like to know why LDS, JW and SDA are not recognized - interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2014 08:17PM by popeyes.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:17PM

Perhaps China will become a christian stronghold.

China will not be a Mormon stronghold as long as their people have internet access.

LDS Incs glory days are over.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 08:42PM

Ya think there are any Scientologists in China?

Never know with all that new crop of millionaires and billionaires.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 09:07PM

I can't believe Chinese will allow 10% of LDS members income to leave China...

Posted by: mushinja ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 09:42PM

They will need a new revelation that tea was never against the WoW.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:22PM

I had a family member who lived there for several months (due to his job) a few years ago. He said that the only Mormons in China are the American ones who moved there. Chinese people are NOT interested in becoming Mormons. Mormon philosophy and practices seem crazy to them, although that apparently doesn't stop the transplanted American Mos from trying.

I don't think there's going to be an explosion of Mo-ism there. Ever.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 22, 2014 11:34PM

implosion?

Date: April 22, 2014 11:41PM

The only religion that the Chinese will convert to is Apple computers.

Posted by: Oakland Guy ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 02:24AM

I was recently in China. Before my trip I had the had the belief that Christians in China had to meet in someone's home with the curtains closed and the lights dimmed.

However, one day while visiting the fish market I notice a large Christian church (not a relic from the colonial days) behind the market so it appears Christianity is tolerated. Buddhism and Taoism is alive and well in China too.

Chinese concept of family and the superficial mormon concept of family are not really compatible. Because in Chinese culture family really does come first. Family in China almost has a religious like devotion in Chinese culture. Mormons are anti-family and pro-cult. Show me a chapel full of Mormons and I will show you a chapel full of broken and divided families.

Money would be an issue too. I just don't see Chinese giving up 10 percent of their wealth. To the West it may seem that is selfish, but it is actually very pro family and beneficial to the society as a whole since families take care of their own and don't rely on government or others.

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 09:36AM

Normal Christians in China are beating Mormons hands down: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22/china-largest-christian-country_n_5191910.html

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 09:54AM

I too cannot see mormonism being popular in China. Can you see teenage missionaries from a church not 200 years old telling people from a culture 1000s of years old that drinking tea is bad and sinful? Do the Chinese work on Sundays? Mormonism doesn't change to fit the culture. It expects a culture to change to fit it.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 10:05AM

Ripley's Believe It Or Not:

My TBM brother divorced his Temple Married wife after 45 years of marriage.

He moved to China and met a Chinese gal 30 years younger than he.

He took her to a Mormon Church to witness a baptism.

She felt 'The Spirit' during this dunking and joined the Cult.

This was last year.

You can't make this shtuff up. Hollywood ain't got nothin' on This Cult...

Date: April 23, 2014 10:11AM

So your brother divorces a temple wedded wife and remarries.

Is he a polygamist in the afterlife, according to LDS theology?

Is wife number 1 back in the picture to make green jello, scrapbook, and have endless spirit babies?

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: April 23, 2014 10:53AM

You mean the spirit of US citizenship.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.