Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 07:19PM

"A confidential survey distributed to some Brigham Young University students reveals the depths of ignorance the Mormon Church’s top leadership has about homosexuality. Students were told the survey was created to screen students for a focus group designed to better understand Millennial’s attitudes about “same-sex attraction,” yet it makes clear that “gay” is not an option — literally".

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/mormon-leaders-omit-gay-in-survey-asking-students-what-is-your-sexual-orientation/news/2014/04/25/86363

Why am I not surprised?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 07:28PM

two words: No Clue

ETA: one never knows whether MoLeaders are stupidly ignoring reality -or- they're purposely presenting real life that only supports their POV / objectives.

for most of us, I propose neither of these is acceptable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2014 11:52AM by GNPE.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 07:30PM

That's hilarious. Apparently, people are either heterosexual or heterosexual but struggling with SSA. What a bunch of clueless morons.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 12:28AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 06:39PM

OH, I'm still laughing. They really believe in their own made up narrative. Mormons are SO FREAKIN WEIRD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 06:39PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 07:38PM

LDS, Inc: dis-enfranchising people since Day One!

at 1.5% of YBU students, that's about 500 students, + fac. staff.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 08:08PM

You couldn't pay me enough to pay attention to anything produced by YBU.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 08:19PM

Race:

[ ] White

[ ] White and Delightsome

Posted by: goojabee ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 09:18PM

[ ] White and Delightsome, but struggle with melanin and genes.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 09:25PM

Thanks! Best laugh of my day!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 10:39PM

Love it!

Posted by: michaelgbluth ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 09:34PM

+1000

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 09:32PM

BYU survey question:

What is your hair color?
[] Blond
[] Blond, but struggle with dark roots
[] Other

Posted by: JediMasterAFC ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 09:41PM

How out of touch can they get?

Along with questions about ethnicity that only includes white, a question for hair color that only includes blond, a religious question that includes everything both Judaism it'll be something the Fuhrer would be proud of.

What a ridiculous clueless cult.

"We're the Mormon church. The right organization to usher humankind into the 18th century."

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 11:46AM

OK...not to defend them in any way, but the "Other" category actually has a blank where you can write in whatever you like.

I'd call it "Accidentally Progressive" I guess, as the younger generations are becoming more nuanced about sexuality.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 01:25AM

Other: Please specify...........LOL This is a real hoot!

Let's see...I am attracted to all sexes all the time and enjoy as many people and other animals in bed with me at one time as possible. I also enjoy sex a lot while my partner/s use whips and chains but like being strangled the most. I think sex is most fun when everyone is covered in motor oil and naked in an empty baptismal font and........ (Wonder how much "specification" they want and exactly why?)

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: April 27, 2014 08:11PM

--LOL--I wonder what the max number of characters allowed is.

I guess you couldn't give them a Kinsey Scale either, as only kids who've had Sex Ed would know what that means.

If I could hack it I'd add:

[] Top
[] Bottom
[] Power Bottom
[] Versatile
[] Twink
[] Bear
[] Cub
[] Otter
[] Jock
[] Daddy
[] Papi
[] Thug on the DL
[] Emo
[] Sk8er
[] Surfer
[] Gay 4 Pay
[] Broke Straight Boy
[] Ambiguously Gay
[] French/Brazilian
[] XJ29 Nuclear-Powered Pansexual RotoPlooker
[] Only gay with my identical Twin
[] Autofellatio Only
[] Furry/Cosplay/Brony
[] Bromance (Nohomo)
[] Gay til Graduation

(OMG--researching this post was a real eye-opener)

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: April 25, 2014 09:40PM

This is the kind of thing that would make sense in the Onion, but it is for real?

They SO have their heads in the sand.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 12:13AM

This is the closest the church can get to "don't ask, don't tell". Why would they explore this topic in such a way if not to try to condition people to keep it in the closet or at best to admit they struggle? I wonder what kind of junk science these survey results will go to.

Posted by: roundee ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 02:36AM

Can anybody find a source for this besides this news article? It seems like it might be fake. If it were real, I feel there would be a lot more uproar about it. (Though, it definitely wouldn't surprise me that BYU would do something like this.)

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 02:39AM

The article is dated today (Friday, April 25th). Uproar usually takes a little longer than only a few hours.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 10:48AM

TSCC has never officially admitted that homosexuality is anything but a choice/preference/sin. For them to do so would require a huge doctrinal overhaul; in the process, they'd have to admit that past prophets (who announced that God said gayness was a choice, was "wrong," and was fixable with enough faith and electroshock therapy) were WRONG. They just can't do that, especially since they've now thrown BY under the bus about racism and have disavowed a lot of other "theories," "folklore," and "policies" that were also expounded by prophets over the pulpit and prefaced with, "thus saith the Lord."

Consequently, gayness (especially the lesbian kind) isn't even on the radar. It can't exist according to doctrine. The institutional blindness also gets them out of having to deal with other thorny issues surrounding gayness, like same-sex temple marriages, equal-rights and marriage equality legislation, and straight/gay couples in the membership.

That they are surveying Millenials at BYU is laughable. Those students are used to being censored, spied upon and watched; they're not going to submit any answers except the ones TSCC is looking for -- and with the wording of the questions, they can't do so even if they want to.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 11:18AM

This would be evidence I would use to support my case that there are Mormons that merit being labelled...

Professional Dumbasses

They have taken being a dumbass and made it their passion and profession.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 11:24AM

Ya know, if we had a profit who communed with Jehovah surveys would be unnecessary.

Just saying......

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 11:40AM

This is quite disturbing. I'm honestly surprised there isn't more controversy over this. When Boyd K Packer said something similar to this in General Conference a few years back it was all over the news.

Posted by: cultivate ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 07:34PM

I hate that word "struggle".

TSSC thrives on creating struggles. I love moving forward as an exmo and no longer finding myself fighting unnecessary and counterproductive shame battles.

I've only explicitly shared the truth and my exit story with my brother, who identifies as bi. I couldn't stand seeing him subjected to this type of bullshit. I'm so glad he's out with me. Now I just hope he can heal quickly. And embrace who he is.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 09:29PM

TSCC has painted itself into a corner where it refuses to use
"homosexual" or "gay" as a noun. You are not "gay" or
"homosexual" you are a "child of God" and "God" wants you to be
straight. So they come up with the insane moniker "Struggling
with same-sex attraction."

Posted by: freddo ( )
Date: April 26, 2014 10:16PM

My wife just told me she is MALE, just with female anatomy.

I checked, she is right.

I know these things to be a true....

#hasitaname?

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 11:33AM

My stake president said he felt "Inspired I should attend BYU" I'm so glad I didn't listen to him.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 06:50PM

This certainly isn't a typo?? Did they omit it on purpose!!?? But then this is the morg we're talking about here!!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 06:59PM

It's an out-of-time experience to see Mormon leadership afraid to say the word "gay.." Studying the puzzling history of American gay experience shows me that TSCC is stuck in the most racially and sexually intolerant period.. 1935-1960 or so, I'd guess. During the roaring 20's gayness was tolerated in sort of a joking way.. See the song "Masculine women, feminine men." Earlier, the Victorians ignored it and usually didn't make a fuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSlfQ49Bq1s

I'm not saying gay men are all effeminate and gay women are all masculine, of course. I am simply puzzled about the American gay experience and the waxing and waning of intolerance. Today is a new openness and freedom for gays, except for those religious bigots.. and unfortunately, Mormons have thrown their lot in with the bigots.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:07PM

If you went to BYU and gay, counting yourself and anyone else you knew that was also going to the y at the time as gay, how many would that be? and include the year if you would.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:08PM

[] The church is false
[] The church is false (and you want it to be true)

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.