Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 04:04PM

Mormons believe in honoring and sustaining the law when it is convenient:

While returning from a horseback missionary trip to the southern United States in 1857, Pratt was being tracked by Hector McLean. McLean was the legal husband of one of Pratt's plural wives, Eleanor McLean. Pratt had met Eleanor McLean in San Francisco, California, where Pratt was presiding over a church mission. In San Francisco, Eleanor had joined the LDS Church and had also had her oldest sons baptized. Hector rejected Mormonism and opposed his wife's membership in the church. The dispute over the church led to the collapse of the marriage. Fearing that Eleanor would abscond to Utah Territory with their children, Hector sent his sons and his daughter to New Orleans to live with their grandparents. Eleanor followed the children to New Orleans, where she lived with them for three months at her parents' house. Eventually, she and the children left for Utah Territory; she arrived in Salt Lake City on September 11, 1855. Eleanor McLean was employed in Pratt's home as a schoolteacher, and on November 14, 1855, she and Pratt underwent a "celestial marriage" sealing ceremony in the Salt Lake Temple. She was the twelfth woman to be sealed to Pratt. Though for religious reasons Eleanor considered herself "unmarried", she was not legally divorced from Hector at the time of her "celestial marriage" to Pratt.

Upon learning of his wife's actions, Hector McLean pressed criminal charges, accusing Pratt of assisting in the kidnapping of his children. Pratt managed to evade him and the legal charges, but was finally arrested in Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) in May 1857. He and Eleanor were charged only with theft of the clothing of McLean's children. (The laws of that time did not recognize the kidnapping of children by a parent as a crime.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parley_P._Pratt

It seems that all of the men in leadership positions in the early church had checkered histories. Wealth and women were the goals of Joseph Smith and his cronies.

Original sources:

Bagley, Will (2002). Blood of the Prophets, Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press. ISBN 0-8061-3426-7

Millennial Star 19:432. New York World, 23 November 1869, p.2).

Pratt, Steven (1975). "Eleanor McLean and the Murder of Parley P. Pratt" (PDF). BYU Studies 15 (2): 225–56. http://byustudies.byu.edu/shop/pdfSRC/15.2Pratt.pdf .

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 04:12PM

I believe that this was given as a reason why Mormons were looking for vengence and took it out in the MMM.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 04:16PM

sisterexmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that this was given as a reason why
> Mormons were looking for vengence and took it out
> in the MMM.

That is exactly correct. It was McLean's wife that Pratt committed adultery with. Pratt actually married McLean's wife while she was still married to McLean. Then it was McLean's kids that the wife kidnapped from Louisiana and took to Utah.

Typical logic of the Mormon leaders of the era. It was OK for the Mormons to engage in illegal and unethical acts but when anyone called them on their garbage there was h*** to pay.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 06:27PM

its a good example of Kharma. Parley proved that payback is a "B". Truth is the freak seduced a married woman and orchestrated a way for her to leave. Not only did this mormon missionary not give a rat's butt about law, but they didn't care about common decency and respect for other people, children, families, etc.

Parley was eventually approached by Hector in Arkansas...Hector tried to take him to court in Arkansas, and the judge let Parley go because he couldn't hold him on anything, but from what I recollect the judge told him to get out of town. Hector chased the little bastard down about 11 miles out of town, and finally knifed him as he drove past on horseback. Most normal American men have issues with other men stealing their wives and children. Just sayin', and I really understand why Hector did what he did. You mess with a man's wife and children, and you are walkin' on sacred ground. For the early TSCC to become upset at the MMM wagon train, using PPP's death as justification, is just another indication of a clueless bunch of idiots. Not much has changed. Even now, TSCC views PPP's as a poor mormon missionary who was "murdered by vigilantes" at least this is the bull shiz verison harolded by Hinckley at one of his last GC's. The little freak praised another little freak (PPP) as a martyr (another example of lying for the Lord, but that's another story).

By the way, as I understand it, this methodoly, if you will, of morgbot missionaries stealing wives was somewhat prevalent in the church. Posters can correct me, but I believe it was permissable for the missionary to have sex with the "soon to be" plural wife whilst in transit to Utah, since the journey could last many weeks. Ergo a principle of temporary marriage was enacted by Breedom Young.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 07:25PM

Item: Eleanor feigned disillusionment with Mormonism as the reason for her return to New Orleans in order to get back in the good graces of her parents.

She then spirited the children away but was intercepted and the children taken away from her.

Hector McLean used his position as a Federal employee to track Parley Pratt (who was in communication with Eleanor via the mails) and eventually have him arrested (for the theft of the children's clothes).

A judge released Pratt, perhaps offering him a gun that Parley allegedly refused, and McLean tracked him to Indian Territory (Oklahoma) and killed him after his release (by a court in Arkansas).

Eleanor Mclean arrived on the scene of Pratt's murder within a short time, and from there proceeded to eventually connect with Orrin Porter Rockwell who made a high-speed journey to Salt Lake (carrying news of Johnston's Army as well) and arrived in Salt Lake on July 23, 1857.

Apparently, she spent the rest of her life in Salt Lake and never saw her children again.

Sources: Besides Bagley's "Blood of the Prophets" that Eddie mentions above, I drew from Bagley and Bigler's "Innocent Blood: Essential Narratives of the Mountain Meadows Massacre." (Arthur H. Clark, Oklahoma, 2008)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 09:11PM

at about the same time and how it was handled in the opposite manner. I thought I had saved it but I only have Parley's story.

It may have been poster "jod". It was a fantastic comparison and I was going to include it in a letter to my historian FIL.

If anyone has that I'd appreciate it.

I read an autobio of Parley in a book written by his ancestors and true to Boyd Packems guidelines of "protecting testimony by lies of omission" they left out the details of his death. One paragraph that basically said "bad men murdered him for unknown reasons".

Should not the details in an autobio been more detailed or can someone argue that that info is not what an autobio is about?

You scholars help me out here please.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 09:22PM

Pratt was Mitt's great great grandfather.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 11:15PM

Just wanted to clarify a few things...

Hector and Eleanor's marriage (at least while they were in San Francisco) was not great. The Jared Pratt website (that has a lot of good info) would have you believe Hector was a drunk and was abusive. And that after an incident in 1855 Eleanor never considered herself married to Hector. http://jared.pratt-family.org/parley_histories/parley-death-stephen-pratt.html

I have found nothing to corroborate that accusation. I have also found nothing to show that Eleanor and Hector were divorced. Hector was employed as a federal custom's house official in San Francisco.

If you look at the timeline here it is telling. Eleanor ran off with PPP to SLC in 1855. At that point I think Hector was saying good riddance to Eleanor, and she to him. It was at some point in 1855 that Hector sent the children back to New Orleans. How Eleanor could abandon her children is beyond me. If Hector had been abusive, the law would have been on her side....even in 1855-56 IMHO. But she chose a different path. She chose to travel to SLC and chase PPP. My own opinion is that she was enamored with PPP and Mormonism...and her egocentricity outweighed her maternal feelings.

Once in SLC, Eleanor found that she wanted her children. Being a plural wife of PPP was probably not all that she thought it would be. So she accompanied Parley on his missionary trip back East. I have no doubt that she had but one intention and that was to get her children (that she hadn't seen for two years) and return with them to SLC. Because she had abandoned them, she knew this would not be easy. Her ruse of having left the LDS Church was initially convincing, but she quickly revealed her real intent.

She first scampered over to Houston with the kids where she was put up by some LDS members. Hector was already en route (allegedly when Eleanor's parent's informed Hector that she had taken the children).

PPP had to coordinate with host of folks to affect Eleanor's escape to SLC with the children. Hector, leveraging his status as a Federal custom's house official, convinced some postmasters to allow him to read letters from PPP to Eleanor. Much of their contents was encoded as was there names (secret combinations?). Hector put enough of it together to pinpoint where PPP and Eleanor were...a real feat IMHO.

PPP was arraigned in Van Buren, AR for 'stealing' the children's clothes (couldn't charge a mother with kidnapping--a key piece of evidence pointing to the fact that Elanor and Hector never had legal arrangements executed in respect to the children).

I just found out recently that the first mayor of Van Buren was a McLean (can't make this stuff up).

I suspect Hector had already told his story all over town prior to PPP being arrested. Once in jail, the judge knew the charges were bogus, but he also made sure Hector got the children safely away. The judge also knew there'd likely be trouble when he released PPP. Parley was such an arrogant ass, he thought his deity would protect him. It is interesting that he beat feet out of town and left Eleanor hanging.

Hector and a couple of new 'buddies' (that I have no doubt he recruited locally...Hector's earlier posse had been referred to as 'Masonic Brethren') were hot on PPP's trail and eventually overtook him and killed him. Not sure how they caught him so quick unless Parley had a lousy horse or didn't think he needed to gallop away.

Hector intended to have PPP arrested under different charges in St Louis (he knew the clothes charges wouldn't stick).

So instead of classifying Hector as an enraged husband, I think it more correct to categorize him as an enraged father who was protecting his children.

Eleanor went back to SLC without the children. I doubt she ever saw them again. I also have no doubt she made an impassioned plea to BY for vengeance (it was BY who had sealed PPP and Eleanor) upon her arrival--by a Mormon 'express' transport--in Utah. I am confident this was the main motivation for BY ordering the MMM--yes, I think he ordered it.

Hector returned to New Orleans. He actually invented some sort of cotton bale lifting device (you can Google him up on Google patents).

I am still trying to find out more about Hector's children after all this....but so far no luck.

Date: October 12, 2010 01:27AM

(BTW, for the newer sorts, JW is the real thing when it comes to looking for possible unearthed information on PPP and MMM).

My view is that Pratt probably "gave himself his own calling" for that Eastern mission that led to his death. I think Eleanor was "on his case" about her children--and he saw that as a source of her unhappiness--and the pressure was particularly intense...

I'm basing this on a statement I read a few years ago about the dynamics of a polygamous household and how "polygamous husbands" spend almost all their time putting out the fires of jealousy...

I think Eleanor Pratt was a strong-willed, intelligent, and generally capable woman (albeit troubled with some deep-seated issues; remember that Mormonism at the time had considerable appeal for some intellectual sorts). She probably engaged and manipulated PPP in ways his others wives didn't, and he was enough of a "people pleaser" to try to accomodate her, even at risk to himself (remember Pratt was wanted in Missouri for murder, and he journeyed to St. Louis under assumed aliases).

I'm also of the opinion that PPP's murder was a factor in BY ordering the Mountain Meadows Massacre, something most historians downplay considerably. I don't think it was the exclusive motive; Will Bagley notes that BY was deeply insecure in his role as prophet and successor to JS, and the appearance of the Fancher/Baker train a few weeks after the hysterical Eleanor was fanning the flames of vengeance probably appeared "providential" to him...

Add to this the approaching army and his desire to remain as territotial governor--which was proving quite profitable for him--and the opportunity for the Southern Utah Mormons (who were horribly impoverished and a potential source of future discontent--and apostasy), and we can see how a fanatical thug becamce a mass murderer...

Date: October 12, 2010 05:35PM

That root beer and vanilla ice cream they serve up in Utah History classes and in seminaries tastes sweet to young palates, but the recipe leaves out a lot of historical truth.

Here's a good historical account (Google is your friend). I also think "Blood of the Prophets" has some on-line extractions, and I'll try to find them as well in hopes of avoiding typing too much (I don't mind the typing; it's fixing the danged typos that's time consuming).

http://www.morrisphelps.org/morris/timesandseasons.htm

>They were either all released, or admitted to bail, except Lyman Wight, Caleb Baldwin, Hyrum Smith, Alexander McRay, Joseph Smith, Jr. and Sidney Rigdon; who were sent to Liberty, Clay co. to jail, to stand their trial for treason and murder. The treason, for having whipped the mob out of Daviess co. and taking their cannon from them; and the murder, for the man killed in the Bogart battle. Also Parley P Pratt, Morris Phelps, Luman Gibbs, Darwin Chase, and Norman Shearer; who were put into Richmond jail, to stand their trial, for the same crimes.

>A bill was found against Parley P. Pratt, Morris Phelps, and Luman Gibbs for murder, and also a man by the name of King Follet for robbery. -- They also obtained a change of venue to Boon co., and were carried thither and put into jail and there remained until the fourth of July. At this time the town was all hilarity and mirth at the celebration. They also made a flag and had it placed over the jail doors. In the evening when the Jailor brought in their suppers, they walked out at the door: that is, Parley P. Pratt, Morris Phelps, and King Follett; Luman Gibbs continued, the others were closely pursued and Follett was retaken and carried back; but the other two effected their escape to the state of Illinois.

I won't comment on the validity of the murder charges; Mormons will dismiss it as "Missouri Persecutions," but the fact remains that Pratt escaped custody, fled to Illinois, and was careful to use an assumed name every time he set foot in Missouri afterwards.

Aargh! I found "Blood of the Prophets" on Google Books, but the relevant paragraph is on a page not featured. Here's a link to Amazon; however, if you're in Utah, I'll put in a "buy local" plug and suggest Sam Wellers, Ken Sanders, or the Tanners as a source for a reasonably-priced copy...

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Prophets-Brigham-Massacre-Mountain/dp/0806136391

From p. 68...

>At summer's end in 1856, Pratt had left Utah with his new wife, the former Eleanor McLean, on a mission to the eastern states. Eleanor was determined to reclaim her children, who were living in her parents' mansion in New Orleans. The Pratts crossed the Plains with a party of twenty elders and twelve women, traveling in a carriage with another couple. When they reached Missouri, where Pratt was still under indictment for murder, Eleanor set off alone with $100 in borrowed church funds. Before parting, Pratt made out his will and wrote instructions for his burial.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 10:22PM

Date: October 14, 2010 02:58PM

What's a puzzle to me is how the tremendous trio (the three authors of the lds-financed "Massacre at Mountain Meadows" fiction--Walker, Turley, and Leonard) who lead readers to believe the environment in Utah in 1857 created a fanatic, rogue, independent group of Mormons that conducted the massacre...refuse to believe those same factors could not have affected BY in the same way......

Surely the environment in SLC fanned the flames of fanatacism even higher than they did in Cedar City....an example would be the loss of the mail contract that surely would not have affected the Cedar City crowd.

And for those interested (perhaps some proud Morridor names in there??), here's a good list of the perp's that got away with it..... http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ut-mountainmeadowsassassins1.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 03:00PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Date: October 14, 2010 04:19PM

So it requires a lot of effort to determine who was involved...

However, as Nephi Johnson noted, "White men did most of the killing."

Those that John D. Lee singled out were all either enemies of his, already dead at the time of his disclosure, or confessed participants.

I note the site names Jacob Hamblin as a participant, and while it was clear his ranch was used as a base of operations, he probably remained behind in Salt Lake after accompanying the Southern Utah Indian chiefs to their Sept. 1st meeting with BY...

I've heard recently of surviving journal materials about some Cedar City militia members who "made themselves unavailable by hiding out" when the call was issued; that would tend to indicate they knew the attack was being planned and what would be asked of them.

That's pretty damning of George A. Smith (and BY by extension). The Fancher Party stopped at Cedar City late Friday, and by the time of the attack on Monday morning, they were fifty miles away (a considerable distance for wagons pulled by oxen).

This is Bagley and Bigler's essential hypothesis, that it's ludicrous to suggest a whole group of settlers was provoked to homocidal rage in such a short period of time or that the logistics of the attack could've been carried out so quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 04:22PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:01PM

So there I am, way outside Zion, having fun among the damned, when a friend who knows my Mormon past said she had heard something about MMM and didn't understand why it happened. So I obliged.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 12, 2010 01:40PM

and took their 2 kids to Nauvoo after being converted by John Taylor. Taylor was sealed to her there.

I'm guessing it wasn't completely unusual.

I wonder how many of those top guys were looking over their shoulders a lot after Pratt got 'blood atoned'.

Date: October 14, 2010 03:12PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.