Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 03:38PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

This little vid explains a simple, but rigorous, scientific experiment that demonstrates the influence of consciousness on matter and reality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 03:53PM

Clever presentation.

If physicists are baffled, it's anyone's guess.

My guess is that quanta are collapsing back and forth between wave and particle form so nano-quickly that we cannot differentiate.

Witness intelligence arising from itself at its most basic level (that we know of).

Date: May 03, 2014 09:44PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My guess is that quanta are collapsing back and
> forth between wave and particle form so
> nano-quickly that we cannot differentiate.

Good guess. :)

Whatever the mechanism, I find it interesting that we can observe measurable changes in the interference pattern, which seem to be triggered by conscious observation.

Posted by: Shummie ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 09:25PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGguwYPC32I

Anyway.......

The OP vid said the experiments concluded that the sensors could clearly discern the difference between an animate observer and an in-.

Pretty smart imo.

Anyone get that?

Posted by: Shummie ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 09:32PM

first confiremed my suspicions.

Don't look directly at the forest lest ye see not the trees.

What is an Enquirer? Are you?

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 03:58PM

Consciousness had nothing to do with it unless you're arguing that the detector is conscious.

The act of "observing" the electron meant that the electron had to interact in some way with a detector. That interaction is what caused the wave function of the electron to collapse back into a particle.

Date: May 03, 2014 04:10PM

Mnemonic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Consciousness had nothing to do with it unless
> you're arguing that the detector is conscious.
>
> The act of "observing" the electron meant that the
> electron had to interact in some way with a
> detector. That interaction is what caused the wave
> function of the electron to collapse back into a
> particle.

Yes, it doesn't seem to matter if the "observer" is a conscious bio unit or a device, the results are similar.

But interestingly, further experiments demonstrate that a conscious observer has a greater effect on the interference pattern than a device, and even that observers trained in observation and focus had a greater effect than non-trained observers.

Here's a link to more such published studies:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/05/01/scientific-study-shows-meditators-collapsing-quantum-systems-at-a-distance/

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/03/08/10-scientific-studies-that-prove-consciousness-can-alter-our-physical-material-world/

Date: May 03, 2014 08:10PM

Do you get your news from the National Enquirer?

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 10:05AM

Here is one rebuttle for that.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/pear_proposition_fact_or_fallacy/

"For twenty-five years a group of researchers at Princeton University has been making claims that humans can affect electronic and mechanical devices with their minds. They claim their experiments are conducted in a rigorous, scientific manner and yield above-chance results. However, a close examination of their primary random event generator calls the data into question.

"For twenty-five years a remarkable group at Princeton University, the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) group, has been pursuing a research program in what many would characterize as parapsychology. A recent article by this group, “The PEAR Proposition” (Jahn and Dunne 2005) summarizes this quarter-century effort. The bulk of the research has been to show that human intent can remotely affect mechanical and electronic devices in a manner consistent with their intention. They have also reported experiments in remote perception. However, in this article I will take a critical look only at the first group of experiments."

Scientists get things wrong all the time. That doesn't mean that science is bad. What it does mean is that scientists have to look at each others' work and nothing is accepted unless it can be duplicated by others.

Princeton's experiments have not been duplicated by anyone else. Just like the University of Utah's infamous "cold fusion" which wound up not being such.

That paper was published in 1982. That's 32 years ago. If the conclusions were valid, they would have been duplicated somewhere else.

If there were getting results which they shouldn't be getting, but no one else is getting them, they need to figure out why. Either figure out their mistake or figure out what mistake other people are making.

Date: May 05, 2014 06:33PM

Yes, the research is indeed "infamous". :)

Thanks for the link, Outsider. I was not aware of the problem of the non-random nature of the baseline data set. I'd like to read PEAR's response, if any, and will search for it.

Some interested scientists should replicate PEAR's studies and show the errors. That would be a fair rebuttal, which I would be interested to read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 06:43PM by hello.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 08:05PM

Are you even reading the links you post? They are sh!t.

For example, look at
(11) http://www.lfr.org/lfr/csl/media/air_mayresponse.html

This is just someone complaining aboutthe CIA's conclusion that parapsychology is trash.

Oh, it's not just "someone" it's the Cognitive Sciences Laboratory

(It) has been the center for government-sponsored parapsychology research in support of its intelligence program most recently known as STAR GATE.

We invite you to volunteer to participate in an exciting experiment to explore how your nervous system can automatically predict the future. If you would like to learn more, please click here."

Uh ha.

Your initial youtube does not do what you claim it does.

Before you further embarrass yourself, become a little more familiar with science.

Date: May 05, 2014 06:35PM

Collective-Evolution is the National Enquirer of science. Just look at these stories, and I do mean stories.

The Global Warming Hoax Blown Open
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2009/11/26/the-global-warming-hoax-blown-open/

Baking Soda is Proving to be an Effective Treatment For Cancer
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2012/05/06/baking-soda-is-proving-to-be-an-effective-treatment-for-cancer/

Free Energy Live In Action! This Is Breathtaking As Science Is Being Re-Written
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/04/30/free-energy-live-in-action-this-is-breathtaking-as-science-is-being-re-written/

A Major Development In The Vaccine Autism Link Exposes The CDC’s Cover Up
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/04/26/a-major-development-in-the-vaccine-autism-link-exposes-the-cdcs-cover-up-2/

Date: May 05, 2014 08:04PM

Global warming science is far from "settled", as the warmists claim. Large numbers of climate scientists disagree with IPCC's methods, models and conclusions.

Dr. Simoncini in Europe has achieved good results with tumors using baking soda, sugars and other ingredients. Certainly his results are debatable, but not unfounded.

European courts, guided by research done in Europe, have ruled that there is in fact a causative connection between vaccines and autism.

Free energy is certainly in the "tabloid realm" at present, as big claims require big proofs. Interesting topic tho, worth looking into.

This is my first visit to "Collective-Evolution", I just went on a link about the topic in the OP and I have not yet had a look around the site. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up. There may indeed be much there that is worthless, I don't know.

Posted by: amartin ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 09:22PM

so much ignorance in this post it hurts!

You really think that European courts can "rule" that there is a vaccine-autism link?

You really think that a "large" percentage of climate scientists disagree with the IPCC results?

Date: May 05, 2014 10:08PM

You really think that the IPCC is the final arbiter of climate science?

So much ignorance it hurts...

Date: May 05, 2014 10:19PM

No, not the IPCC, just the 97% of climate change papers

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/2/024024/article

You're ignoring the scientific papers, and reading the ones that the oil industry pays for. Note - these ones aren't peer-reviewed for a reason.

Date: May 05, 2014 10:56PM

And how many were climate scientists as you claimed?

Date: May 05, 2014 11:21PM

Did you even read this crap. To make a claim about sea ice levels and not even distinguish between artic and Antarctica is just ridiculous. You do realize that as Antarctic glaciers accelerate their melt, the sea ice levels will increase, right? Ugh. The ignorance...it hurts!

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 10:08PM

Climate change is a slam dunk. It's only up for debate on FOX News.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 06:50PM

As long as we are on physics..

RED SHIFT: When cars are moving toward me I see white lights. When cars are moving away from me I see red lights.

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 07:17PM

LOL.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 07:15PM

Recently I heard a physicist say that particles don't actually exist. Only fields. We are made of an infinite group of numbers that fill all of space.

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 07:18PM

That's going to be confusing for mathematicians and computer scientists, field theory means something completely different.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: May 03, 2014 08:35PM

GOOOOOOOD.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 06:54PM

I have heard the term "wavicles" used to describe the properties of sub-atomic objects. It's fascinating work.

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly...

Even in Biblical times, people hoped to see more in the future. We will.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 07:20PM

I wouldn't pay "What the bleep do we know" much attention. It's produced by some cult members to present their cult doctrines using pseudo-science.

Date: May 05, 2014 07:54PM

I agree about the cult. But the short animated film within the movie you cite does seem to present a concise explication of PEAR's work, which is the subject of the OP.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 09:45PM

often people talk about all kinds of "psychic" phenomena that
quantum mechanics "predicts" or "explains." I ask them if they
can diagonalize a Hermitian operator. If they can't I tell them
that they probably don't understand QM enough to make that kind
of statement.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 05, 2014 10:06PM

In his very pro evolution book Finding Darwin's God, biologist Kenneth Miller suggests God works at the quantum level and we will never be able to detect his work.

It's kind of a weird book. 95% is all about evolution and easily shooting down all the creationist arguments, but then he makes the suggestion that there is a God and he works at the quantum level. It's a good read especially if you hate the idea of Intelligent Design, which is characterized as Relion dressed up and pretending to be science.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.