Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iwenttothewoods ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:19PM

The local bishopric dropped by my new all-girls apartment today. When I answered the door, they commented how my face was one they hadn't seen before.

Background info: I am exmo pretending to be a nevermo while going to school in Utah. My Mormon roommates have no idea I used to be Mormon-- they just assume that I'm a nice, clueless gentile who came to school in Utah for cheap tuition.

"So you're with us for the summer?" he asked. I answered that I was and then he proceeded to ask what my name was and where I was from. He also asked who else lived with me.

My Mormon programming kicked in and I just blurted out the answers to his questions-- I didn't even consider how weird it should seem to me that three old men I don't even know show up at my door and begin asking questions about me and who lives with me!!!

When he asked me about some church activity coming up, I played dumb like I hadn't heard of it before. It then struck him that I wasn't LDS.

Anyways, the point of this rant/story is that I SHOULD have been totally creeped out by this visit, but I wasn't. And these old men should FEEL creepy for visiting an all-girls apartment without invitation and asking for personal information about girls they don't even know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mistress of v ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:21PM

Yes. Creepy. Conditioning. Next time, don't answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 10:21PM by mistress of v.

Posted by: iwenttothewoods ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:29PM

Yeah, if I had known who it was, I wouldn't have answered. I was expecting a friend to drop by later that afternoon. I'll let my Mormon roommates get the door from now on.

I could just see the three of them mentally ringing their hands: Fresh meat...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 10:30PM by iwenttothewoods.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:46PM

Next time, remember -- silence is an answer. Just smile when asked such questions and keep your lips buttoned. You can also deflect the question, i.e., "I'm sorry, but were you looking for someone in particular? If not, I have to go now."

I would also recommend never opening the door to strangers in the first place, particularly strange men. You can talk to someone through a closed and locked door. Your safety is more important than their "hurt feelings."

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:52PM

Like you said, you still have that history and so for you having these older men at your door did not seem odd in Utah until you realized that to them you are a nevermo and it should not have been done. A man my daughter met before she converted overstepped his boundary and came to our dinner table in a restaurant yrs. ago asking her if she wasn't going to FHE that night. She said No, it is my sister's birthday. Did he say hi to me, the mom, or happy birthday to her sister. NO....he only cared about this possible prospect. I was livid and told her so. The man was a complete stranger to me. I had a lousy night after that. No man should do that to any family.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:53PM

They don't need to know where you're from or anything else. If they continue to pry, ask them if they prefer cowgirl, scissor, missionary or doggy style, our something else entirely. (Wiggle eyebrows)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 10:54PM by serena.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 10:58PM

You should have been like, "I have no idea who you guys are, but you are creeping me out. If you don't leave, I am going to call the police."

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 07, 2014 11:00PM

This kind of familiar interaction by the members is part of the LDS Culture that is long standing. It comes from the idea that it's a Ward family and the members are brothers and sisters.

I never thought it was "creepy" -- but I don't accept that kind of invasive questioning anymore as it crosses my personal boundaries of privacy and protection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.