Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 01:06PM

He's in their temple videos.

He is constantly talked about in church and TBM text messages.

Without him we would not have free agency. He is the one who conviced Eve to bite the apple.

And don't EVER try to tell a TBM Satan isn't real. You'll get a bigger in-your-face than if you don't believe in God. Its as though you've personally attacked them when you say you don't believe in Satan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 01:12PM

Funny. My ex exploded once when I questioned the existence of satan!

If so-called monotheists were serious about monotheism, they'd abandon satan. What is he if not a god? He supposedly has supernatural powers and the ability to influence people worldwide, yet is invisible. A god in most senses.

Of course in no way are Mormons monotheists from the get-go. Henotheists maybe.. those who believe in many gods, but worship one. Maybe not even that! Elohim and Jehovah both get worshipped, right?

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 01:13PM

Although they might not worship Satan, I have seen far more instances of them using his plan (forcing their will on others) than following god/Jesus' example.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 01:24PM

No, I wouldn't say they 'worship' him.

He's critical to the theology, to be sure, but no more so than any Christian church that expresses biblical inerrancy/fundamentalism.

Some of the more hardline families made a big deal of Satan's influence (or whatever the mot du jour was), but LDS theology (at least, when I was growing up) didn't focus much on him. It wasn't until I went through the temple that any great emphasis was placed on him.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 10:39PM

Agreed

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 01:24PM

Nah. It doesn't really fit the definition.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 01:28PM

I could care less what they worship....as long as they leave me alone.

Ron Burr

Posted by: whitneytaylor ( )

Mormons want to become gods thats like overthrowing god and making yourself god

Posted by: pathfinder ( )

JS, BY = Satan. So yea, they worship Satan.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 03:37PM

I live not far from a hotbed of evangelical Protestantism, although they don't even claim the term "protestant" anymore. They just call themselves "Christians" and try to pretend they're the ONLY Christians. They, too, give Satan far more attention that is healthful, in my opinion. It's so easy to have a big,bad guy in the sky (or in the center of the Earth, depending upon one's concept) on whom to blame all of our own misdeeds.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 03:44PM

They're scared to death of him. In their minds, he's always there, out to get them, tripping them up at every step. And he's got his minions out there too, helping him to get you.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 03:48PM

Satan himself is Mormon. I had him for a bishop once.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 11:34PM

I'd say the lying 15 are a good example of evil. Lies they tell mess up lives on a daily basis. People divorce, go on missions and get killed etc., based on the lies the apostles don't correct and the lies they tell. They know the truth but lie based on ego, money and the need to be worshipped. If being a lair, hypocrite etc., isn't anti Christ I don't know what is.

Can you imagine being one of the 15 and have a 20 year old kid die for a gospel you know is total bull crap. I know a lady that was on a mission with her hub, got mugged now has a permanent disability. This makes me ill, and I would like to see apostles in jail for it.

Posted by: nevermowithwideexperience ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 04:10PM

From the perspective of someone who has had wide experience with many different religions (Abrahamic/non-Abrahamic/contemporary/ancient):

Mormons absolutely DO "worship" (certainly in the sense of "fear") the concept of Satan, and it is a dominant theme not only in Mormon doctrine but also in mundane, ordinary, Mormon daily life--commensurate with the level of Mormon belief and observance in the individual involved.

No one at the topmost levels of the leadership ladder probably "believes"/"worships" a being named Satan, but this belief and "worship" is totally approved and heavily promoted among ordinary active Mormons from the topmost levels of leadership on down.

Fear is one of the most powerful motivating factors in the human experience, and if conversations between Mo's and non-mo's re: Satan are analyzed, the overwhelming underlying emotion from the Mo side is fear--most specifically, fear of Satan the personage, and Satan via his works in that individual's daily life (and in the lives of--most certainly--the closest family members). There is considerable effort constantly made by believing Mormons to mitigate or protect themselves and those they care for from the harm/damage/injury Satan is supposedly eager to dispense to anyone not properly vigilant, and/or who has allowed themselves to become vulnerable to his blandishments (they are drinking a cup of coffee, seeing an R-rated movie, or having unacceptable sexual contact with themselves or with someone else), at any given moment in time.

Do Mormons worship Satan?

From everything I understand, and have been able to observe over a fairly long period of time, the answer is unequivocally in the affirmative.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 04:19PM

Mormons most certainly believe in Satan and his power/influence. But your reasoning for mormons worshipping him seem like the same logic many American schools used for banning To Kill a Mockingbird for supposedly promoting racism. Yes, the book contains examples of racism, but anybody who actually read it knows that one of the core themes is that racism is wrong.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 04:20PM

No. Absolutely NOT. I was LDS for over three decades and never, once was there any notion that Satan was to be anything but avoided!

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 11:23PM

Oh, so you *didn't* do what he told you to do in the temple video?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 04:45PM

I'm pretty sure I was married to him at one time.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 04:58PM

They talk about Satan as someone to avoid, yet at times, it seems as if they're following his plan when they send out missionaries to harass people, and through getting gay marriage bans passed. I also found that one of the worst things you can say to a Mormon is that Satan doesn't exist, as they believe he is very much real. Mormons believe the quote "The greatest trick of Satan is convincing people he doesn't exist."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 05:06PM

Not outright but think about this. If you were Satan and you knew your reputation, you would probably know you couldn't convince people to worship you the way they worship Jesus. So you make Jesus the spokesmodel of your religion so people think they are worshiping Jesus. Then you go about your business:

Condoning lies - because remember, you are the Father of Lies and you know that liars will be thrust down to hell.

Stealing - taking money given in faith to help others and using it to build malls and hotels and hunting preserves.

Temple - you set up a temple to outwardly follow Jesus but where you and your threats play a larger role and Jesus is made to look like God's errand boy.

Legalistic practices - make your "followers" worship rules and appearances because that's how you got the Pharisees and led them astray - so far astray that they actually killed Jesus for you.

Fear - Since "God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind" use fear to control people with threats of losing their family for eternity, of being shunned if they don't toe the line, of terrible fates that will befall them if they don't follow your prophet. Inject enough fear and you can break up marriages, destroy friendships, ruin reputations and even turn mothers against their own children.

Control. If you are the Mormon Satan, that's what you are after. Control of people in all things and the annihilation of free agency and choice. Tout obedience without questioning above everything and combine it with enough fear and you'll have Christians following Satan's plan without even knowing it.

All that and throw in a few good works, a handful of what seem to be miracles, stroke a little pride and teach that the wonderful feeling of pride is God's holy spirit validating the actions and mix in the philosophies of men, mingled with scripture and you have a pretty good deal for yourself. A group of people who think they are following Christ and actually doing your will and feeling good - yea, superior for doing so. Because good people are not usually led astray by evil but by evil masquerading as good. Great work, if you are Satan and you can get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 05:07PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Satan ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 11:18PM

We all knew "Daddy's Favorite" was going to be the Lard and savior. The so-called "War in Heaven" was actually very dull, just going through the motions. Daddy said "To be fair (HA!), I'll make the One True Church insufferable. I'll give you all the best lines in the Temple ceremony". Big Deal. So nowadays, all I get are whiny Mormons blaming me for all the stupid crap they do in their lives, and being accused of petty stuff like hiding car keys. DAMMIT, I USED TO BE THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS, AND THE SOURCE OF ALL EVIL! I had REAL writers like Dante and Milton writing fan-fics about me. These days, anybody with any sense and an internet connection knows It's all Bull. Now I'm just a second rate boogey-man for the ignernt Mo-Mos and some Batsheet crazy Catholics. I tell you, it isn't worth it anymore.

Date: May 12, 2014 01:56PM

lol

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 12:02PM

If there is some sort of "Lord of Darkness" or equivalent, this does seem like a compelling hypothesis.

Posted by: I love CAgirl ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 05:15PM

CAgirl that is excellent!

Don't listen to what they say, or look at their facade, look at what they do.

Been out, myself over 30 years, and the real nature of the cult has gradually revealed itself.

Monstrous, parasitic and evil. Pity the poor saps who believe in it.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 05:16PM

If they do, what is so bad about it?

Date: May 11, 2014 05:24PM

That they don't realize it.

If someone is a Satan worshiper, fine. That is their choice and if the tenets of Satanism are what they want to follow, again, fine. A bit scary, because they have some declared intentions that could end quite badly (and yes, I did read up on the basic beliefs of Satanism once.) However, the devil you know is less scary than someone who claims to be good, wears a mask of goodness but is following those same tenets.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 11:54AM

"The Devil made me do it." Flip Wilson

TBM's use this line too.

So, I think the Devil gets blamed for just about anything they do wrong.

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 05:29PM

Obviously, they don't worship Satan. But you wouldn't think so if you watched the Temple video.

1) When Adam does the True Order of Prayer, who answers him? That's right, Satan.

2) Who breaks the fourth wall to tell you that you have to obey the covenants you made in the Temple? I don't know, could it be . . . SATAN!

Plus, the Temple video just makes Jesus out to be some middle manager or something. If it were the military, Elohim is a general, Jehovah is some newbie lieutenant, and Michael is a private.

Posted by: brighamboy ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 11:09PM

Sure they do. He is THE GOD OF THIS WORLD.

Remember, if they do not live up to EVERY covenant and promise they made in the Temple they are in HIS power.

Ever know anyone who lived up to all that crap?

Can't be done.

First, you don't even know what most of it is. You are taught "the true order of prayer" but told not to do it.

That is just the start.

Satans apron with symbols of his 'powers and priesthoods'? What symbols? They have been removed.

Then we have satan buying up "popes and priests, armies and navies" to reign with blood and horror on this earth.

Just right for the heroes of Mountain Meadows Massacre to worship him.

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: May 11, 2014 11:16PM

No.
At least... I certainly didn't "worship" him. And although I can't see into the minds of all of the other Mormons I knew, I'm pretty sure they didn't "worship" him, either.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 11:01AM

In the visitor's center at temple square, the area around the Christus statue always made me feel uneasy. In the woodwork around the walkway, there are inverted pentagrams with elongated downward points. This is the goat's head satanic symbol. The image of the earth behind the Christus statue is in shadow. If Christ is the light of the world, why is he casting a shadow on the earth? There is clearly a crescent of light on the earth coming from the opposite side. If Mormons worship Satan, this is the most clear example there is.

Posted by: Chad ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 12:04PM

Is this true? I need photos or something. Google here I come.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 12:52PM

http://vigilantcitizen.com/sinistersites/sinister-sites-temple-square-utah/

this article talks about occult symbols throughout temple square, and in the Christus display

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 12:19PM

When anyone worships a man, Joseph Smith over worshiping God first and foremost, you're going to have problems.

This is why people who follow the teachings of JS are now in complete darkness, especially in the corridor.

Darkness can be considered evil but, it is also about education and the lack thereof.

Do I consider the followers of TSCC Satan worshipers? No, they have no clue. What they are following is a great propaganda marketing tool: "Families are forever" "Families are eternal" etc....

It sounds great but, it's completely misguided information.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 01:34PM

This is GREAT news!!!

Next time a mish comes to my door, I'm going to say, "Oh, you're Mormon, the church that worships Satan," and slam the door in his/her face.

Should make them think twice about how everyone thinks Mos are so great.

But then, I worship Stan myself, at least the little bit that makes me love to torment people I hate.

Posted by: John Doe ( )
Date: May 12, 2014 03:56PM

In the new video at the temple Satan wears priesthood garments, that is how he described his clothing to Adam and Eve.. Then in the movie the two teachers from heaven come and Satan didn't recognizing them and they had to give the "sign" that they were in the priesthood. I didn't understand why if Satan has garments that are clothing that the teachers did not and why Satan didn't recognize the teachers since likely Satan new most important people in Heaven at one point.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.