Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: neverMOinproVO ( )
Date: May 15, 2014 11:52PM

A lot of the Mormons I know are quite interested in other cultures. Some are interested in asian cultures, some in middle eastern cultures, some African cultures etc etc.

How the hell do they justify celebrating other cultures when they believe that everybody should drop their religion and join Mormonism? It kind of pisses me off just thinking about it. Its like they want everybody to be some big white, nuclear, bible humping family who believes with a big Prozac induced smile all the time.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 12:06AM

I hear you. I did have a 'cultural crisis' Of sorts. Leaving Mormonism and eschewing that culture, I was desperate to discover my cultural heritage. I studied customs, traditions, and foods, and I was happy to discover that, even though mormon culture was definitely dominant in my upbringing, I was also given some aspects of a cultural tradition that I am definitely more proud of.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 12:31AM

Mormon observance of multi-cultural holidays:

Jan 1: New Weird Eve. Mormons drink bubbly apple juice and hang plastic mistletoe. Any one caught under the mistletoe has to recite a favorite Book of Mormon verse.

Third Monday in Jan: Martin Luther Burger King Day. Mormons feast on bright orange soda and Sons of Ham burgers.

May 5: Sinkhole de Mayo. Mormons dig a hole and throw mayonnaise into it. They wear sombreros and play untuned guitars.

July 4: Blow it all to hell day. Utahns get surface to air rockets in Wyoming and set them off over dry fields.

July 24: Pioneer Day. Mormons harass other Mormons who pull handcarts like suckers.

Second Monday in October: Columbus Day. Mormons celebrate the overthrow of Lamanites in America.

Nov 11: Veterans Day. Mormons celebrate the sacrifice of Joseph Smith, who died like many others fighting for the gospel and the American way.

Fourth Thursday of Nov: The Eating and Dallas Cowboys day. That's what they observe.

Dec 23: Joseph Smith's birthday. Mormons dedicate their thoughts and their periodicals to the greatest of all prophets. Scriptures are studied and prayers are offered in praise of the man.

Dec 25: Present Day. Presents are exchanged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 12:33AM by donbagley.

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 06:09AM

I know a Mormon who celebrates some of the Jewish holidays. That *really* grinds my gears.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 08:22AM

What's wrong with celebrating whatever you want, whomever you are- supposing you think you can;
Think Freedom! regardless of nationality, persuasion or subscription. Nothing wrong with diverse interests in cultures, tastes and mentalities.

Eat whatever food you want, have whatever kind of friends you want, go wherever you want and do what you want. No use putting yourself in a box just because everyone else thinks you should.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 09:00AM

The Living Traditions festival is going on in SLC this weekend. I think it is one of the best local summer festivals here. I think the Wasatch Front has a half dozen Brazilian churrascarias, three Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants, several Peruvian restaurants.

There is a Slavic food store and an Middle Eastern food store within 2 blocks of 4500 S and 900 E, and close by, in downtown Holladay, a very upscale taqueria, Taqueria 27, just opened, and I gave up trying to get in last Saturday because the wait was an hour plus.

Many of these restaurants, especially the Brazilian ones, are a result of foreign Mormons moving to Utah. I used to live in Winnipeg, which is justifiably famous for vibrant multiculturalism, plus I grew up near NYC in a very multicultural city, so this is something I am familiar with. For a metro area of relatively small size and "white bread" culture, Utah punches way above its weight on multicultural influences. I think the LDS missionary program contributes substantially to this, and I am not complaining.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 09:11AM

<sarcasm>There had better not be any Mormons there!</sarcasm>

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 09:11AM

I think the musical put it well:
"Africans are African, but We...are...Aaa...frica!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.