Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 10:49AM

I live in Houston, not my type of place.
I love deserts, Redrock & far less population.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:01AM

North Florida. Love it. I like it hot, I like humidity, I love the beach. I'm not fond of the politics, but I can ignore that, mostly. Best part is the 10-month gardening season.

Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:02AM

I live in Davis County UT.

I used to like it, but now they are building houses on every available open piece of land. Places I never thought they would be able to cram a house have two or three houses on it.

Plus lots of mormons live here, which makes it quite annoying.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:02AM

I hate mormon Utahns.

Posted by: thematrix ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:17AM

South Davis County. I love it. Sunday shopping at stores is a breeze

Posted by: jrichins278 ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:17AM

Sounds like you need to move to Vegas!

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:20AM

South Davis Co. We almost moved 2 times this past year. HATE the snow, love that family is close by, lots of outdoor activities, lots of great sunday shopping. Hate the pollution. Love the freeway acess. We travel a ton to get away from it, that hhelps.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:24AM

Atlanta. It's a nice place. I'm thinking, though, that when I retire, I may consider Erie, PA.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:28AM

I live in an intellectual wasteland, characterized by a low tooth-to-tatoo ratio, with pockets of culture. Also known as, "The Sunshine State." The weather is brutally hot, humid, and rainy from May through October, but November through April is extremely nice. Too many tourists, too much traffic, and too little real jobs.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:46AM

stillburned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Too many tourists, too much
> traffic, and too little real jobs.

Those three things depend on:
* Where you live in the state and
* What you do for a living. Rather, what you are willing to do for a living.

I do not live in a tourist-dense area. In fact, when my family visits from Up Northâ„¢, I have trouble finding t-shirts and souvenirs for them because we just don't have tourist-trap trinket stores in this town.

Also, there's very little traffic, even at the busiest times of the year, at rush hour and this is not a small town. "Rush hour traffic" to me means that the dog and I have to wait for 2-3 cars before we cross the street.

What you are describing is South or Central Florida. This state is like three different countries all rolled up into one state. If those are the three things you don't like about it, you could relocate to a different city, remain in the state, and be much happier.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:32AM

Taylorsville, UT.

I'm from the East coast. I miss the ocean (terribly), green grass, and lots of trees. I would move back in a heartbeat.

I enjoy the access to outdoor activities here in Utah. If we could just get rid of all the damn Mormons, it would be a great place. They f*ck it up something terrible.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:35AM

I live in NOVA (Northern Virginia) DC Metro area. And I LOVE IT! I grew up in Davis county, but my family is from Tenn. So being around all the green, tree's, and everything is great!!! So glad I moved here before I found out about TSCC.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:39AM

I live in Rhode Island. I love how close everything is, love the scenery. The drivers are really bad, and I'm not a fan of the summer humidity or that last gasp of winter time in late Feb/early March, but autumn makes it all worth it. :)

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:42AM

Houston--dislike it. Love San Antonio, but my job is here.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:44AM

I live in Alberta, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. I love it because, well, the Rocky Mountains!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:52AM

I spent most of my adult life traveling and moving from city to city. I found that no matter where I went I was going to meet someone who hated it. If they were traveling with me, these people usually hated where they were from as well.

I've always been the kind of person who tends to like the place they live and the people they live around. Right now I'm in the middle of the Salt Lake Valley. I've been able to maneuver my life in such a way that I don't work around people who are openly Mormon, and I have no friends who are Mormon. None of the family that I am close to are Mormon. When I go out and do things I rarely, if ever, see Mormons.

I like Utah because the people are awesome, because I am surrounded people who understand my experience as an exmo, but I am also surrounded by people who are nonmos and couldn't care less about my experience (which is refreshing). I like Utah because the night life is great and the music scene is one of the best in the country. I'm also a huge fan of being close to over a dozen mountain trails for summer hiking. It is a good place to live.

Posted by: Regular poster Anon for this ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 11:53AM

Bountiful UT - I hate it. I grew up on the left coast and I don't like the altitude, the dry air, the barrenness of a high desert (although the view from our front porch when the air is clear is pretty in an old West movie sort of way), the pollution, how far away everything is (except mountain sports which we fortunately love) and the way people here drive.

But most of all, I hate the people. We lived in the west part of the Salt Lake Valley when we first moved to Utah and I couldn't stand how snotty the Mormons were. So we moved to Bountiful because I figured if I have to put up with snotty people, I'd rather live somewhere prettier. Big mistake. The non-LDS here are wonderful but the Mormons are so full of themselves it's a miracle they can move around. Many GA's live here and my kids have been in school with the grandchildren of GA's. You see GA's at my kids band concerts and school plays. Their children and grandchildren act like royalty - at least the ones we've had to deal with.

The women around here fall into two categories - nice, laid back and not respected by the Mormon ruling class OR blonde, size two, plastic surgery types who dress like 14 year olds and have the voices of kindergarteners. They are almost all condescending although I've been surprised by a few of the nice ones so I can't be as blanket rude to them as I want to be. It bugs me that they try to dress like teenagers because they are usually pretty and slender but ruin it by looking 20 years older than they are because the contrast between the teenager clothes and the 40 something face accentuates their age. Even the ones that look worn out and dress in rags think they can put everyone else down because they are righteous Mormons. I work in a hair salon where half the stylists aren't LDS and they are routinely lectured about their lifestyles, tattoos, occasional glass of wine by the women who come in and get their hair done. The non-LDS owner of the salon doesn't even feel like she can have a coffee maker in the break room because she will lose customers and be lectured. I don't know how they can be so gracious with Mormons but I've learned a lot about being classy under pressure from these ladies. And I've told them a lot about Mormon secret behavior which they've found shocking, even though most have grown up in Utah.

I want so badly to move back to the Pacific Northwest but DH has been fighting me. As soon as our youngest graduates in a couple years, I'm going with or without him. I try to make the best of things but I pick up on the weird atmosphere and vides in this state way too much an it's wearing me out. Thank Dios that I've gotten out of the church and found nice, non-LDS, ex-LDS friends or I'd have gone insane years ago. Utah wouldn't be my cup of tea but it's OK if you get away from the Mormons. Unfortunately, I'm still surrounded by them.

Posted by: AnotherReg ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 12:33PM

Reno NV is the bomb. Great outdoors, better than utah because of massive nearby lakes. Downtown is a little scuzzy, but I never go there. The air is WAY cleaner than SLC or Cal. The people are laid back, not a lot of Mos. Great weather, Tahoe rocks. I love it, please don't tell your friends.

Date: May 16, 2014 12:41PM

Simply amazing how carelessly trash, Styrofoam, plastic bags are thrown so carelessly, granted there are plenty multimillion dollar clean neighborhoods but they are smartly isolated themselves from the rest.

I'd love to live in SAntonio or even Dallas.
As for Utah, it is great place to live for someone who loves mountains & Deserts and not molested by terrible memories of Mormonism.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 12:43PM

Utah County Mom who lives in--yeah, Utah County. Looking forward to when my kids are done with college and when I can move for another job or retirement!

Posted by: shareesus ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 01:01PM

Kearns. I stay pretty much to myself, and get out of town as much as possible.

I am a tattood up atheist vegetarian, so I do not fit in super well. What I hate the most-- there is next to nothing as far as good restaurants/little local shops around. Every chain restaurant and chain store imaginable is within minutes, though. THAT, I hate. As a food lover and a person who can't stand Wal-mart with a passion, it certainly can be a bummer.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 02:30PM

Houston and love it. I currently live on the northeast side in the woods but lived in the city for quite a while.

Like San Antonio and Forth Worth. Dislike Dallas but it is livable. I would choose to live in Dallas over leaving Texas any day.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 02:47PM

We live in Kitsap County, WA. I like the rain and we have lovely summers in the PNW.

Fresh seafood, fantastic fruit and vegetables contribute to make this unknown corner of the US a great place to live.

imo...Utah doesn't compare to OR & WA.

LOVE it here, clean, green, and practically no CULT members.

No crowds, Sequim, Port Angeles are close by and big enough towns to meet our needs.

Victoria BC is a 90 minute ferry ride away, and Seattle is about the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 04:23PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:01PM

Shhhhhh

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:27PM

Californians moving to the PNW have already driven up prices don't start telling Utahns about it!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:30PM

We have all the snow sports, hiking/biking through old forests, beach. Pretty much if you like it you can find it here. Clean air and water. Decent schools. Mild winters/summers. Laid back people who keep their religion to themselves. Plus LOTS of local wine and micro breweries. And the local produce is to DIE. Sooo much better than Utah. The local meats are fantastic too and I swear 2% milk tastes like full fat in CA. Boy I can't wait for Farmers Market to open for the season! I can't wait to hit the local cheese makers :)

Posted by: Lydia100 ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 02:53PM

I live in a market town in the UK. I love it, Friendly people, lovely old buildings, great countryside but with in easy reach of the capital and other lovely major cities

Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:17PM

I live in RI. Moved here from AZ. I like it a lot better here. The only complaint I have is that the roads suck. But it's nice because there aren't a lot of Mormons out here, and I've yet to see a church or missionaries out on the street.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:40PM

In the Heart of Europe, Frankfurt/Germany. Nice Place to live not so much mormons around ;), (although you get lost in the outskirts where the Temple is) nice environement, nice people lil murrica (Army Bases) not so far away...One day.... we move back to the states I hope so ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2014 04:42PM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:44PM

I live in Houston, too. I love it, other than the traffic, which I don't have to deal with a whole lot because I'm in the burbs and don't have to get on the freeways often. I love the trees and how everything is just so alive here! and the winters are usually pretty mild (not counting this last one).

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 04:53PM

I live in the 4 Corners area, which has it's own culture, despite being part of 4 states. It's a mixed bag, especially living in Farmington, NM. Let's go with the bad, so there's something to look forward to:
High rates of poverty, in Fact NM recently passed MS for this dishonour regarding child poverty.
One of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the nation.
Extremely high rates of domestic and child abuse and horrible rates for sexual violence, especially on the Rez.
There's a lot of ugliness here in NM in between the cities and plenty here in Farmtown.
Fracking and nasty pollution where I live. Not as bad as Happy Valley in the winter, but bad enough.
Unless you have ties to oil or natural gas or a government employee, good luck finding a decent job in this area. Barely anyone hires full-time in the service industries.
The wind is insane here. I met a bartender from Chicago who said it's windier here than in IL.

And the good:
Plenty of history- We're in the radius of Chaco Canyon, Chimney Rock, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley and plenty of other historical sites.
Some of the scenery is downright spectacular, some looks like an alien world, like the Bisti/De Na Zin Wilderness area.
Local chilies are the bomb.
Plenty of local wine, too.
Cheaper housing.
Santa Fe is only a few hours away and has it's own microclimate plus museums, shopping, and dining. Durango is just up the street and fun to visit.
When it warms up, it lasts until mid-November. I can wear sandals and capris from April to November. :)

There's good and bad points everywhere. It is what you make it.

Date: May 16, 2014 05:04PM

My wife & I love NM, AZ....
Incredible diversity of Cultures & Geology....

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 16, 2014 05:03PM

I live in the Piedmont area, close to Berkeley, California.

My whole family has lived elsewhere and let me tell you, people who can live anywhere come to live here and drive the prices sky high. There's a reason...actually, there are many reasons.

First, the weather. It's as good as it gets--clear because of the proximity to the SF Bay. Mostly sunny...all the time.

Second, the people. They are kind. You don't realize that it's important until you realize you are not considered part of the community in Mormon Utah. Tolerance and respect for diversity is the religion here, so people are friendly and open. You are accepted. No one has ever asked me or cared what my religious beliefs are. It's considered a highly personal question, one you wouldn't bring up in normal conversation, no more than you would ask "are you celibate?"

Third, the community. We have tool libraries, free lawyers at the regular library and all kinds of free activities to promote health and happiness at every age. There is no favored elite group in power and low income housing exists in the elite areas as well as the bad side of town.

Fourth, Localization. The buy-local movement is big here and there are many more small businesses. Big Box stores are frowned upon and there are no shopping malls in Berkeley. Food is cheap, gas is expensive so even rich people take the bus.

Fourth, culture. Literally everything of interest has a group of people pushing it somewhere here. Interested in discussion religion vs spirituality, voila! There's a meetup group here on Mondays. Culture abounds and my community has street performances and free wine tasting/appetizers every third Thursday of the month. Saw my first Brazilian martial arts/dancing yesterday in a street performance.

Fifth, education. Speaker circuits always include UC Berkeley, so if someone has a new book out or a new idea, you can be they will be giving a lecture or having a book signing in our area.
If you enjoy intellectual pursuits, having an opportunity to meet Jane Goodall or Jarod Diamond and hear them take questions, maybe even one of your own, well that's a sweet life to me.

Sixth, transportation. Excellent bus system and BART subway style transit.

These are the things I appreciate about where I live. People's needs vary, but I'll tell you one thing, not having to yap about religion at every turn is relief from an irritant that I never realized was as bad as it was...until it was gone.

Kathleen Waters

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.