Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: An observer ( )
Date: May 18, 2014 10:35PM

I've noticed in many LDS forums that Mormons most often say "the Savior" or "Christ" instead of the name "Jesus." I think I've observed it in person, too, but it's been a long time since I interacted with a Mormon offline. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, any idea why? The only thing I can think of is that it's another way to seem distinctive. Protestants talk almost exclusively about "Jesus" in my experience, so maybe they're trying to set themselves apart from them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 18, 2014 10:42PM

It became very obvious to me when I lived in the midwest. However, I had nevermmo friends who wouldn't shut up about JC. I think that was worse than seldom mentioning him.

Mormons don't like to say the J word though. You aren't imagining that.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: May 18, 2014 11:04PM

I've noticed it too, and it gets really annoying after a while. His name is Jesus. It's not that hard. It's especially annoying when TBMs say "the Savior is amazing!"

Posted by: Nate ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:07PM

All I know is that you can say Jesus, believe in Him as Lord and Savior and you will be saved. I believe the more Jesus is shared, spoke, evangelized to the lost is great, beautiful Jesus, Savior, Immanuel, Heavenly Father, we are saved by Jesus precious blood-God Bless and Praise Jesus! Jesus is the way and the Truth and the life!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 18, 2014 11:12PM

My friends all say "the Saviour."

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 04:57PM

Yep, which is funny because according to mormon doctrine Jesus is just "a savior"...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 18, 2014 11:18PM

Maybe they feel it is too informal and not respectful enough.

Maybe they feel it is too much like the Praise Jesus crowd to say Jesus every 5 seconds about every darn little thing.

Maybe it is kind of like Jews who comically think a hyphen shows respect when they write G-d. God really cares about stuff like that apparently to them. (Like Aretha says, R E S P E C T, find out what it means to me.)

If you don't call your bishop by his first name, I'm guessing you wouldn't feel comfortable talking about your God brother without a title or formal name. Just be glad they don't use the middle initial.

You don't want to get too chummy with God by saying his name, don't you know. Don't be using his first name or he thinks you are not graveling enough.

Besides, I thought Jesus was a swear word. Everyone knows Mormons aren't supposed to swear. :-)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 02:09AM

I always thought that they didn't use the word Jesus because if you use it too much, you are being careless with something sacred. Like my mom who almost never said "I love you" because before she was married, she dated a guy who said it all the time and then cheated on her. So she came to the conclusion that if you tell someone you love them too much, it loses it's meaning. Mormons seem to think something similar with Jesus' name - if you use it too often, it makes it less sacred. Which makes very little sense coming from someone who considers their underwear sacred but there you go.

Posted by: fletch31 ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:02PM

That's such a good point! Haha

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 05:26AM

Actually, it is perhaps a good thing because if mo leaders said the name they would be saying the Lord's name in vain.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 06:12AM

obviously saying 'Joseph Smith' and 'the propeht' until your ears drop off is not as sacred.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 07:31AM

Maybe the reason is that in TSCC the "saviour" is not Jesus but Joseph.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 08:46AM

It is taboo to say Jesus too much because that is considered taking the Lord's name in vain. Protestants aren't as strict about this.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 12:36PM

Yes, I have always (okay, for 20 years) thought Mormons avoided saying Jesus. They say (in that whiney, sing-songy voice), "Christ," and "The Savior." Of course, they can say "The Prophet Joseph Smith" (praise to the man) until they are blue in the face.

Maybe they'd feel better if they knew that Jesus is a transliteration...goes from the Hebrew/Aramaic "Yeshua," to the Greek "Ieusus," to the English "Jesus" or the Arabic "Issa."

Or not.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 12:47PM

Although they do say his name every time they end a prayer: "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

Sometimes they say, "In the name of Jesus Christ, our Saviour and Lord, amen."

Date: May 19, 2014 04:58PM

Like an afterthought. But hey, we close our prayers that way and we put his name on the side of the building. So, see??! We talk about Jesus.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 09:15PM

...and if you're giving a prayer in General Conference, "...even Jesus Christ, Ay-men." Like--oh! Fake out. We thought you were going to say, in the name of our lord, even Johnny Appleseed, but no...JESUS CHRIST?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 09:16PM by vman455.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:50PM

What I hate is when they try to be fancy and use the word "even" when closing a prayer-- as in, "In the name of our Savior, EVEN Jesus Christ, Amen"
I just can't wrap my head around what they're trying to say.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 04:38PM

Jesus Christ! You're right. They most often now say "the savior." Maybe it's been pushed to say it that way so mainstream Christians think they really believe in the Savior. You know, in His (supposed) saving grace.

Date: May 19, 2014 05:00PM

Seems like Jesus in Mormonism doesn't really "save" anyone from anything. At least that's my take... and spare me the official doctrine... I know what they teach... so, like I said, Jesus in Mormonism doesn't really "save" anyone from anything.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 04:59PM

I keep waiting for someone to end a prayer in the name of Jesus H Christ, amen.

Triple dog dare ya!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 19, 2014 05:11PM

stillburned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Triple dog dare ya!

I do not pray. In fact, I try to avoid places where people are praying.

Date: May 20, 2014 02:16PM

Well, shit. By all MEANS...excuse ME!

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )

Where I'm from, it's pronounced "Jesust"!

Posted by: lineuponline ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 09:21PM

They also favor Heavenly Father over the word god. I am to the point where I just cringe when one of my family members or friends says 'my heavenly father' or 'our heavenly father'.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 09:31PM

I don't know if they consciously avoid it, but given the choice between saying something simply or saying it in a more pretentious way, they usually go with pretension. Like "moisture" instead of rain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 09:31PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:29PM

Like hasten rather than hurry the fuck up.

;-)

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 10:34PM

It was taught in the a lot in the 70's and 80's that we were not to repeat the name Jesus. That we should not listen to music that repeated the name over and over. It was very disrespectful. I had lessons on this. Now, I hear it mentioned, but not heavily taught.

Posted by: An observer ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:05PM

Now that's interesting. I figured it was just a cultural affectation.

Posted by: Anon to swear ( )
Date: May 20, 2014 11:00PM

Because I say " Je sus Chri st" when upset.

I don't know who the other guy is...a god or something. I think his dad goes by Heavenly Father or oh god the eternal father or god? damn I can't remember.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 12:03AM

I have noticed this as well. They often don't say God either. They call him "Heavenly Father". They also don't like to say Satan or Lucifer. They call him "the devil" or "the adversary". Same with the Holy Ghost - it's usually "the spirit". Rather than say Thomas Monson they typically will simply say, "the prophet".

Posted by: Jesus ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 01:14AM

Posted by: Bivibob ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:09PM

which Mormons refer to as "born agains."

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:11PM

I don't think it's so much that they are trying to avoid it, I think they think it makes them sound more righteous.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:20PM

They punish each other if they believe the word Jesus is used incorrectly, or "in vain," so it's no surprise they avoid it.

Stasi superstition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 08:21PM by donbagley.

Posted by: answering ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:43PM

I say "Jesus" all the time, I hear other people say it too. I have never, in 40+ years been corrected, frowned at or been told not to. Maybe it's a regional thing? And no, Joseph isn't the Savior, no one believes that.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:52PM

Mormons generally talk about what they know - sins, contradictions and hierarchy. Most don't know Jesus- simple as that.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.