Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: greatstanding ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 02:00PM

I flew from SLC to Dallas this morning. An Elder got onto the plane carrying a violin case. I assume the violin case had a violin in it.

Are FTM now allowed to bring musical instruments into the mission field? A recent thread about sign-twirling missionaries got me thinking a bit more about this.

Maybe this elder will be playing his violin on the street, and instead of earning tips in the empty violin case from passers-by, his companion will be Sneak-a-Teaching the discussions.

Has anyone seen this before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 02:10PM

The local ward just wants freebie music perhaps?
Also, don't assume that a violin case contains a violin. It took me a long time at the airport while they had me lift the violin up so they could see under it!
They also had their metal sniffer outer machine (whatever it's called) way too close to my violin's wood for comfort.

Posted by: Solitary Loner ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 03:09PM

He was not even considered for participation because when the MP didn't like him. Before my brother even went into the MTC he had asked if he could bring his guitar. Word got back to him from the MP in Germany that he wouldn't be allowed. This MP assumed my brother played rock music. My brother did not. He had studied classical and flamenco at a private conservatory, but was only at an intermediate student level. He could read music very good however. Later, when he finally met the MP, he again asked the MP if he could play, and the MP said no. He told the MP he only played classical and flamenco. This didn't matter to the MP. When my brother found out about the chamber orchestra the mission had, filled with only missionaries, he was pissed.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 03:23PM

I would guess that they will start calling everything a "mission" because that allows them to suck members dry of their time and talents all the while dressing it up as service to Gawd.

Posted by: torn ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 03:50PM

The missionaries in our area were allowed to bring their instruments. They stopped by one night, and instead of letting them teach I lead the discussion in learning about their backgrounds, interests, hobbies, etc. When I found out they not only played guitar and piano, but also sang and rapped their own songs, I was all over it. I had them perform for us (we have both a guitar and piano in the home)and they ate up the attention and praise we gave them, playing song after song . Unfortunately they concentrate most of their writing towards church mumbo jumbo, modern sound to BOM stories...ugh. But I think for a while they were able to forget about being missionaries and enjoy being themselves--my ultimate goal. I think these poor kids lose their identity over their two year sentence; droning on about the church and having doors slammed in their faces. I was happy to provide a safe zone where they could escape all of that for a bit.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: May 21, 2014 05:24PM

I brought my flute to my mission and had some other mishs who brought instruments with them as well. Its nothing new or innovating. I was out nearly 10 years ago. And yes we used it to get attention of the ppl in the streets. Although we were encouraged only to play "allowed spiritual uplifting music" we had some good jam sessions. This belongs to my sweet memories of my mission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.