Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 01:04PM

Are there any signs that this could happen or is starting to happen. If a reformer like Gorbachav becomes President of TSCC and starts losing restrictions and making serious changes, could that cause the church to implode just like what happened with the Soviet Union? I have been studying communist countries and the cold war a lot lately and one poster here even compared the top 15 to a "communist politaburo." Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 03:50PM

I see a fair amount of this comparing TSCC to the Former Soviet Union (FSU). I don't see the comparison. TSCC is a tick-turd compared to the old Evil Empire... while the USSR was made into this big scary monster that it wasn't, that's even more the case with TSCC. Outside of Utah and those of us unfortunate to have had it touch our lives in some way, or those who are just curious about such oddities, Mormonism is nothing. Nothing like the major geopolitical player that was the Soviet Union or is (for good or bad) a major world religion, like Islam.

That said, if TSCC's house of cards come crashing down as fast as it did with the FSU, that would be interesting to watch (and I'd cheer), but it will have nothing like the worldwide reverberations of the Soviet collapse. Oh, it will shatter the world of some TBMs to be sure...but even if it were 15 million devoted TBMs (and it ain't), it's nothing like a Soviet collapse.

And who's your reformer? Utchdork? Your best bet, but don't count on it for a minute... he may be a bit more pragmatic than a BKP, but listening to his talks, I don't see any Gorbachev.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 04:03PM

The USSR went broke, much of that due to poor management decisions.

All indications point to LDS Inc being in dire financial straits.

Mormonism must reform, drastically. If not they will be bankrupt...and may be bankrupt now.

Posted by: today's anon ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 05:30PM

I'm out of the loop--what are the indicators that LDS Inc is in dire financial straits?

I'd love it if they were but I just don't know about it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 05:45PM

In Mormonism a member knocks on your door, and you are obliged to let him in to spy on you.

In the Soviet Union, by the time the KGB knocks on the door, the spying has been done.

Posted by: gracewarrior ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 06:05PM

I think there could be a soviet style dismantling of TSCC. The problem with Mormonism is that it is blinded by its own ideology. They will be touting the gospel flooding the Earth even as the rug is pulled out from underneath them. There is no place for absolute honesty about membership and finances in LDS Inc.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 23, 2014 06:06PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.