Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:32AM

My brother and his adult son are coming by. I have American and Canadian beer, Bourbon, Vodka, Ginger Ale, Coca Cola, and bottled water for drinks. I have Tortilla strips with a queso sauce for an appetizer. We're going to have Barbeque chicken pizza delivered. Other party favors are available as well. My wife will join us when she comes home from work. A good time is guaranteed for all. Love, life, family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:34AM

Taking a drive with my spouse unless it rains badly. Will most likely visit historical markers and cemeteries. Chances are good that if Starbucks is open we will stop there at least once and possibly more if I have my way. I always tip extra on holidays. I feel bad that they have to work.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:57AM

FINISHING the repaint of our wrought iron fence!!!

[Totally exhausted emoticon goes HERE. :D ]

Wishing everyone a Happy Memorial Day...doing whatever you feel happiest doing. I am thinking of you all. :)

P.S. In the thread a few days ago about the fence repaint, I talked about us moving the big shed.

Once we had emptied the shed (so we could move it), it was obvious that the the interior parts were not just past their useful life, but were also stained, dirty, and termite-ridden...so we discussed replacing all of the interior fittings.

We gutted the shed yesterday...all that is left now are the metal sides, the metal door, and the metal roof (all of which are in good condition).

But ALL of the previous wood interior parts (the different shelving units, and the floor) is now outside of the shed, broken down (a bigger-than-we-thought job because the previous owners had used about six different kinds of screws and nails on and about the wood parts), and the various pieces and chunks are now ready to be discarded in the dumpster at our warehouse (several miles away).

Once the repaint of the fence is completed, I am going to scrub everything inside and out (it's already pretty clean; I vacuumed it with the crevice tool), and then we're going to build NEW wooden shelving units on a NEW wood floor (using treated two-by-fours for the critical parts).

When we get through, we will have what amounts to a NEW shed ready for use!!

Happy Memorial Day...everyone! I really AM thinking of you!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 01:00AM by tevai.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 01:01AM

You and I rarely agree on much. That wouldn't matter in real life though. If you had American and Canadian beer, Bourbon, Vodka, Ginger Ale and Barbecue chicken pizza, I guarantee you I would be a good host and we would have a great time. The things we might disagree on are much less important than those things. :)

Have a great day!

Edit/PSA: Remember one thing kids, don't post when you are drunk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 10:46AM by snb.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 02:41AM

I bought some little toothpick-sized American flags and have put them into the picture frames of my grandfather (WWI) and my father, mother, and two uncles, all WWII veterans. All of them are in uniform in these photos.

We just finished re-watching "Band of Brothers" and may re-watch "Gettysburg" tomorrow.

My uncle never forgave my father and my other uncle for being stationed in Honolulu for most of WWII (my dad was a swimming instructor for a lot of that time - was THAT cool???) while HE got shipped off to Okinawa. There was never any real animosity, but my uncle used to say, "What did I do to deserve Okinawa, while those two clowns enjoyed the sun and surf in Hawaii???"

Date: May 26, 2014 02:47AM

I've watched Band of Brothers on DVD, and I was mesmerized. The episode in the snow, I think it was called "Bastogne," was heart-wrenching--nothing like it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 02:46AM

Taking my MIL to my FIL's grave and to her parents' graves. Then out to lunch with her and my kids. DH has to works so it will be just the four of us.

Hopefully there will also be time to refinish the desk I'm working on - it should be pretty cool if I ever get it done. One of those beers sounds good too - I'll probably need one after spending most of the day with my TBM MIL. Not that I don't like her personally - I do. But she's bound to spout something Mormon related that is going to make me want a beer.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 08:52AM

Beach and BBQ (ribs!) with the whole family.

;o)

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 09:27AM

Thinking about my son who is buried in Houston National Cemetery as I go to work and try to please the crowds out shopping for the best possible deal they can get.

I hope you take time out to remember those who gave their lives for this country because that is, after all, the reason for this "holiday".

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:28PM

I refuse to shop on Memorial Day or the 4th of July. I think all of you in retail deserve a day with family too.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2014 12:01AM

I'm totally with you on that, shortbobgirl! Every holiday has become so commercialized that we hardly remember why we have them anymore, other than an excuse for mass consumerism. I guess we're doing our "patriotic duty" by purchasing more and more stuff to keep the economy going?

Wish I could have had some time to go to the cemetery. I was just too darn tired to do it. Maybe I'll go by tomorrow since I finally get a day off.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 09:58AM

Went on a road trip to my parent's and extended family's gravesites several hundred miles away over the weekend. I placed flowers on 12 graves and thought about all of them....somber time for me as my mother passed last July.

I was struck by the sheer number of flags placed on so many graves of those who had served in the military. It was very sobering to think about all the men and women who have done that.

Today I am planting some flowers in my flower beds.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 10:26AM

Hopefully, one if the things I'll be doing this holiday will include reading another entry of yours (Don Bagley) on Salamander.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 10:27AM by newcomer.

Date: May 26, 2014 04:54PM

I have a piece I'm working on, but it's not quite finished. I hope you read my "Clouds in My Coffee" post here. It has some story telling in it.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 10:35AM

Tigers at A's, in the sun with a beer. (Yes, I use sunscreen.)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 10:38AM

I'm going to hang out at Palmer Lake with my cooler and barbie and watch trains all day after I put new rotors and brake pads on the car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 10:47AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: peterlynched ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 11:03AM

Sounds awesome! I'll be studying for an exam I take on Wednesday, have a beer for me everyone!

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:24PM

...and listening to them talk with pride and love about all the heroic veterans in our family.

A LOVING THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS, NO MATTER WHERE & HOW YOU SERVED!

Posted by: lexusnotsignedin ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:29PM

My twin brother and I are traveling to a cemetery in northern CA to tidy up and put flowers on the graves of our parents' first set of twins, who who died at birth just under two years before we were born. It's been our tradition since we were old enough to find someone other than our parents to drive us.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 12:39PM

Being all alone but able to talk telephonically with DW.. Usually about practical affairs, because if anything, she's imminently practical. First convo was about weed-whacker string.. better to buy the reel, or wind your own? It seems surreal to be isolated from her, but she's my beloved. Not deeply intellectual, she. This isn't to denigrate her.. Who wouldn't want a "low-maintenance gal" who is good with money, thrifty, brave and reverent?

Me.. trying not to be a hermit, but so far no too successful. I have one friend in Kentucky.. A Maryland Catholic. This guy shows that the Catholics are infinitely better at childhood indoctrination than even the Mormons. He loves science like me.. but can't shake what the nuns pounded into him in Catholic school! Anyway, as for what I'm doing... Drinking beer, messing with my lawn, thinking about painting the porch, playing with my sweet cat Spooky.. Generally what an old guy would do.

Would it be wrong to get a "platonic" friend who was female? Hmmm. Naw. I'm 63 years old. Forget that shit.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 01:22PM

Today is turning out to be a MUCH busier day than I thought it would be!

Hope everyone is having a good day...and I hope I will be able to make it THROUGH today!!

There are posts I need to answer (Thank you!!!)...

Will be back later today (whenever I can)...

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!!!

Tevai

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 26, 2014 04:16PM

We went on a family hike out our back door and up to the canyon, the forest, the creek, the meadow of flowers. Beautiful! Having fast food now, and a barbecue this evening. Smores.

My childhood family are all dead, so Memorial Day is not my favorite day. My parents, siblings, aunts and uncles are gone, and I'm the youngest by 8 years. My father and one brother and ex husband served in the military.

Best wishes to everyone in the military, and their families!

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: May 27, 2014 12:53AM

I finished organizing by
a to z my CDs, my tbm dad and I took the dogs down to schnar park for a walk. Then we went to Carl's Jr for dinner. He had to work from 8am to 4pm for the holiday.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.