Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 07:58PM

I just saw a news clip saying girls unknowingly had their yearbook photos photoshopped at Wasatch High School in Heber City, UT. Sleeves were added to sleeveless tops, v-neck shirts were altered to square neck shirts and one student's tattoo was edited out. This happened at a public school. It's sickening the way the Mormon church influences everything in Utah. Every one who lives there isn't Mormon. This story was in the Washington Post and The Today Show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notsure ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:07PM

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5409942?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Here's the link. MINUTES BLOWN. But then again I'm not surprised. What a bunch of s^!t. Just another example of the bs.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:16PM

As they cover more and more of the female body, the emphasis will increasingly be on the pretty face. That face will someday be covered if they don't stop this advancement toward it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 11:17PM by donbagley.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:34PM

Step by step, and eventually teenage boys in Utah will be whacking off to pictures of eyes.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:36PM

They have bra advertisements now, but who knows for how long?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 11:38PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Mysticma ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:31PM

Nazi, Utah.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:35PM

Supt. said (if I got it right) 'We want students to leave ready to dress appropriate for BUSINESS WORLD.'

OOPS! I think he meant for students to be missionaries.

his bad.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:45PM

What he said:

"We're hoping we can help kids better prepare for their futures by knowing how to dress appropriately for things."

That of course is code for "dressing for a Mormon mission."

If I had kids that went there, I would be demanding this idiot be fired.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:39PM

Someone needs to jump on the detail that at least two of those photos were edited to make the girls more "white & delightsome" as well. To me, that's a MUCH bigger story than the clothing/tattoo aspect.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:44PM

The burka is next..... the mormon taliban is rearing its ugly head. Kiss your freedom to think for yourself goodbye sheep people.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 29, 2014 11:50PM

Interview with one who had her picture changed.
http://fox13now.com/2014/05/29/mother-of-student-who-had-yearbook-photo-altered-contradicts-school-officials-claims/

See the picture of the drill team with all the bare shoulders, and the cheerleader photos weren't edited.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 12:43AM

and say something like "These are not the photos of our children that were submitted for the yearbook. We demand a refund of our payments for the yearbook, and a re-printing with the properly authorized photos."

And threaten a substantial damages lawsuit if the publishers/school don't give in. MONEY gets TSCC's attention, especially if it's THEIRS.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 02:07AM

This reminds me of when they also edited the photos of the BYU sports team members for similar things.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 08:55AM

Time for me to say it for the 10483rd time. Mormons loathe freedom.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 08:57AM

Uh oh. I hear the sound of someone shooting themselves in the foot again. Do you hear it too?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 09:31AM

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 09:58AM

It was mentioned on WGN's early morning newscast this morning.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 01:19PM

The retouching changed bare upper arms and shoulders into
covered upper arms and shoulders. It is a well-known feature of
Mormonism that the Mormon version of "modesty" requires that any
part of the body that is covered by garments must be covered by
clothing. Thus Mormons consider sleeveless tops to be
"immodest." Someone is therefore changing yearbook photos to
conform to the MORMON version of "modesty." This should be
brought out.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 02:20PM

Didn't TSCC alter the artwork to cover up the shoulders of a couple of angels?

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 02:30PM

Could these girls be non-seminary attenders?

Also, where is the page with the yearbook staff?

Posted by: arend ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 02:35PM

My initial reaction was 'my, some of that photoshop work is pretty good'.

As an outsider from the UK this whole thing is totally bizarre.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 02:43PM

Well, pretty much every nonmo, in the US or not would agree with you :)

Way to go Utah, become the laughing stock of the US, yet again! Side note, whenever I take a package in to the post office to send to my UT family, they give me this WTF look at the address, and are surprised that it works. Utah is a joke to most people, except for the outdoors activities.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 03:04PM

The cheerleader photo they showed (skirt so short the girl's entire crotch area was visible)and the sleeveless dance and track team uniforms revealed just how "inconsistently" Mormon standards were applied. Here in Cali, the cheer skirt and the one spaghetti sleeve top would fail "official" dress code, which is that straps should be 3 fingers wide and hems should match your finger tips. (Unofficial dress code is, according to my kids, no underwear showing)

I can see the need for some limits and for consistency. I do hope they pick a reasonable medium. Look at what the BYU dance team has their girls wearing under most of their costumes. Besides the shoulders, it is just a few inches less "modest" than the black shirts and leggings my daughter's Muslim friends wear under their Western clothes.
http://www.byucougarettes.com/photos.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 03:29PM by vh65.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 07:00PM

It still bothers me this school choose to air brush out the tattoo in the photo of one young graduate.

I can understand how a publicly funded high school can feel justified to have in place dress code guide lines. I can't imagine how much trigonometry would be absorbed by a hormone driven student sitting next to a teen wearing a fish net tank top with nothing under it, or anything close to it. I get that.

What I don't get is a publicly funded school telling students, male or female regarding items of personal expression such as piercings or tattoos.

At what point are these young citizens constitutional right to freedom of expression being infringed upon? Or are these American citizens too young to enjoy our American constitutional freedoms?

These are the same rights and freedoms so vociferously demanded by Mormons for themselves, but so quickly deny others who according to our national law need not bother to justify or explain to others, fail to fall in lock step agreement.

The hypocrisy is mind numbing. Violate a Mormon's perceived rights, like say the right to free ranging cattle access to federal land to multi-million dollar operations and they raise a howl and cry heard around the globe as they threaten armed violence.

Then this same group completely trample the dignity, self respect and civil rights of our nation's youth over something as inane as a young women's exposed shoulder or upper chest.

It would be easy to conclude the actions of these insipid compliance zombies was more about asserting authority and control of the powers that be rather than any real or imagined attack upon their value system.

I, for one, would love to witness these bullies be put in their rightful place. I would like to see them return to concentrating their energies on making sure our youngsters are mentally and intellectually equipped to find themselves equal to the challenge of today's global marketplace, rather than focusing upon irrelevant issues such as worrying about the width of the spaghetti strap on Margie's tank top. If it would take a lawsuit to bring them to their senses, then I would welcome it.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 07:11PM

If it was an issue, the yearbook staff should have returned the pictures when they were submitted, and asked them to submit new ones that conform to the dress code, rather than taking them and changing them without telling the students.

That article I read said they told students up front about the dress code for pictures, so they should have just rejected pics that didn't conform.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 08:29PM

Also in this story was the issue that when a female student is caught during school wearing what is deemed a dress or skirt that is to short, they are summoned to the office and given a pair of sweat pants to wear the rest of the day with the words, "I respect Wasatch Highs dress code" enblazened on the sweats.
If that isnt singling out a young girl to stand out the rest of the day to be mocked and targeted as some supposed immodest degenerate whose chioce of clothing is immoral.
This is nothing short of BULLYING by the school administration on these poor girls.
It brings to mind the story of "The Scarlet Letter", branding these girls as immoral and we need to mark and identify them as such.
If I was a parent in that school district I would be at my attorneys office the next day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.