Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 11:24PM

I know some people who think this statistic is abominable. However, not long ago this would have been the same statistic for percentage of people who would not vote for a gay candidate. Today the tide has turned in favor of it making no difference for the majority of voters whether or not a person is gay.

Let's hope that soon the stats will turn in the other direction and atheists will get the respect they deserve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 11:44PM

42.5% of Americans didn't vote for anyone for President in 2012, so the atheists are only losing an extra 10.5%

Did I mention I didn't do that well in statistics?

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 11:45PM

That reminds me of this saying I've heard:

Being an atheist is like being the only sober person in the car, and nobody will let you drive.

Date: May 31, 2014 10:26AM

Nailed it!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 11:47PM

Which religion funded the survey?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 30, 2014 11:51PM

They never talk about the religious background of a politician here. You wouldn't even know if you were voting for an atheist. There are actually a lot of people from China or India in office in my area. They could be Christian, Muslim, Hindu ... who knows?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 11:07AM

This is why most politicians, atheist or not, will insert a "God bless America" or "We pray for them" comment here and there.

The absence of including God in public life makes you suspicious and (in most cases) unelectable.

I'll be glad when nonbelievers can be elected without having to pander like that. As long as the majority of people associate morals with a god and behavior with their religion, atheists need to make a lot more progress. Hey, at least they aren't being burned at the stake now.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 01:51PM

53%?? That's actually encouraging. I' sure in 1960 it would have been more like 90.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 01:51PM by rationalist01.

Date: May 31, 2014 01:56PM

My point exactly. I think things are getting better. I'm sure atheists have it better outside the USA unless it's a strong Muslim or Catholic country. But even the Catholic countries have elected some totally horrible candidates who obviously don't live by Catholic standards of behavior. I'm thinking Italy as one example.

Posted by: pamelaf3211 ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 01:55PM

I still and always will believe in God. I would not vote for an atheist. I think our country has a right to vote for or against whoever they choose and it is encouraging to me that most still believe in a God.

Date: May 31, 2014 01:59PM

If the choice came down to voting for a radical Muslim who believes in God or a pacifist atheist you would pick the Muslim?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 03:54PM

As an active Christian, I would have no qualms about voting for an atheist. It should be about the quality of the candidate and his/her stand on the issues.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 04:27PM

That leaves the 47% that Mitt said not to worry about.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 31, 2014 04:31PM

The trend is more important than the number.

People are turning away from religion, and I think eventually it will be a non issue.

I also think Obama is religious only for professional reasons. I think deep down he is an atheist, as he always mentioned the non believers when he was campaigning.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 02, 2014 08:55AM

Reason #459 that I will never be a politician.

Posted by: LivinginJapan ( )
Date: June 02, 2014 08:16PM

It's pretty sad and pathetic that you have to be uber-religious to be trusted and elected. American politicians talk way too much about religion; a non-religious politician would be a breath of fresh air. Even a Christian politician that kept their mouth shut about religion would still be a breath of fresh air....

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 12:55AM

So, you're saying there's a chance!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.