Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 02:28PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 02:36PM

I don't have the link right now, but that is the schitck his dad, Joseph Smith Senior used to pull when he was trying to con some naive sucker out of a coin or two.

Okay, looked it up. Here we go;
http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Occultism_and_magic/Joseph_Smith,_Sr.,_and_%22divination%22

This claim relies on one of the Hurlburt-Howe affidavits, given by Peter Ingersoll, a former neighbor of the Smiths.

Ingersoll's affidavit reads:

‘Was a neighbor of Smith from 1822 to 1830. The general employment of the family was digging for money. Smith senior once asked me to go with him to see whether a mineral rod would work in my hand, saying he was confident it would. As my oxen were eating, and being myself at leisure, I went with him. When he arrived near the place where he thought there was money, he cut a small witch-hazel, and gave me direction how to hold it. He then went off some rods, telling me to say to the rod, ‘Work to the money,’ which I did in an audible voice. He rebuked me for speaking it loud, saying it must be spoken in a whisper. While the old man was standing off some rods, throwing himself into various shapes, I told him the rod did not work. He seemed much surprised, and said he thought he saw it move. It was now time for me to return to my labor. On my return I picked up a small stone, and was carelessly tossing it from one hand to the other. Said he, (looking very earnestly,) ‘What are you going to do with that stone?’ ‘Throw it at the birds,’ I replied. ‘No,’ said the old man, ‘it is of great worth.’ I gave it to him. ‘Now,’ said he, ‘if you only knew the value there is back of my house!’ and pointing to a place near, ‘There,’ said he, ‘is one chest of gold and another of silver.’ He then put the stone which I had given him into his hat, and stooping forward, he bowed and made sundry maneuvers, quite similar to those of a stool-pigeon. At length he took down his hat, and, being very much exhausted, said, in a faint voice, ‘If you knew what I had seen, you would believe.’ His son, Alvin, went through the same performance, which was equally disgusting.

‘Another time the said Joseph senior told me that the best time for digging money was in the heat of summer, when the heat of the sun caused the chests of money to rise near the top of the ground. ‘You notice,’ said he, ‘the large stones on the top of the ground; we call them rocks, and they truly appear so, but they are in fact, most of them chests of money raised by the heat of the sun.’’.... [1]

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 10:28AM

Thanks. An interesting read. As Dave the Atheist observes below, it sounds like something from Mark Twain.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 02:45PM

I assumed that the White Salamander told him...

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 03:54PM

This was just posted by Dan Vogel discussing this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnbSh51itg&list=UUE7-EZ_ANHRkYHv7wCUTt0Q

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 05:10PM

It fell out of his head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 10:11PM by donbagley.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 12:44PM

*snicker*

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: June 03, 2014 05:35PM

Keeps from having the paying customer see in his face that he is lying.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 12:26AM

Mark Twain could not have written a better story than this one.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 10:41AM

"Due to the power of GreySkull.... I mean God!"

I find it strange that as Mormons learn about the rock in the hat you have those who think that is awesome and those who quickly learn it is a con.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 11:12AM

This sounds like the opening line of a great joke. Don and a few others picked up the gauntlet.

Because got tired of keeping it in his shorts?

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 12:17PM

I have a proven track record of using a specially selected "Y" shaped stick (all natural wood) to find oil, gas, minerals or water in the subsurface. It is 100% guaranteed to locate groundwater in the subsurface.

To use, you hold the Y ends in your hands and then the other end of the stick points downward (all on its own) when you get to the right place where the water, oil or minerals are. I have found lost gold rings and all sorts of stuff, and I also recently successfully recommended drilling for oil on a property.

I can send you one my hand made, natural locator "Y" sticks for only $89.95, plus shipping and handling. The basic user guide is included, and for an additional $14.95 you get the "Locator Pro" handbook.

Posted by: No way ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 03:19PM

Yeah I have heard of that...does it come with a warranty? Do you guarantee results? Price seems fair for the potential riches gained. Wow.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 06:40PM

Yes, it is great. Just SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Posted by: Delila ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 03:49PM

Should we pray about it before we buy?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 04:20PM

Instead, start a religion around your talents. You'll make more money.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:32AM

My grandfather had a water witch that we used to play with. He swore he could find underground water with it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 06:54PM

He was playing Rock, Paper, Scissors with Hyrum. Rock won.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 06:59PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:24AM

Scissors in the hat would have been painful, and paper would have lost to the shears, so it's a good thing rock won. Although you could put your eye out.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 07:57AM

One of my all-time favorite Mormonisms is the explanation that
J.S.'s rock-in-the-hat treasure hunting was "preparing him
spiritually" to receive revelation.

"Gee, Bishop, I really want to increase my spirituality. So I'm
going to go downtown and get myself a Ouija board."

See how that goes over.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 09:01AM

The Church first emphatically proclaims that they have always told the truth about an historic event or a doctrinal issue. They are proven wrong by the preponderance of evidence. They slowly and reluctantly finally admit to the truth, but then come up with some cockamamie reason for it.

This has been the repeated pattern for essentially every facet of Mormonism. The 'rules of heaven' have been changed so many times even god must be confused. What a fraud and a travesty.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 09:03AM

Where else you gonna put it? (I can think of only one other place.)

Posted by: Howard ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 09:51AM

The process is called scrying. In an attempt to see dream-like images through eyes while awake a somewhat shiny object like a stone is used in dim light, the stone offers a focal point, a point to focus the eyes on rather than searching broadly back and forth from a near field to infinity focus and the hat provides dim light.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 07:37PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 07:43PM

I am home feeling rather sh#*y due to some strange, weird thing-or-other, and missing my first grandchild's wedding breakfast (not the wedding mind you as I am not righteous nor blessed-enough to fit through those gates), and this post put a smile on my little-ole face and I very much thank all of you for your amusing and talented quips.

Yep, Mark Twain would be so proud (and he would laugh).

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 07:51PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.