Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nah no name today TMI IRL ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 01:52PM

If a gal hugs an acquaintence she's just met,is that a come on?

We're not talking a casual side hug but a light frontal.
Is she seen as 'giving away her favors' too easily?
Or do guys just like a hug????

Should she wait until he knows her better?
Will he think she's just easy?

Am I overthinking this?

Confused exmormon

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 01:55PM

what others have to say. I'd never hug anyone having just met them. It wouldn't matter if they are the opposite sex or not. I don't even hug people I know well except now and then. Other people have no problem hugging EVERYONE.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 01:55PM

By definition a friendly hug is just a friendly hug.

A good rule of thumb to follow is to not assign any extra intentions to something. A hug is a hug, a kiss is a kiss and a nut punch is a nut punch.

Date: June 04, 2014 02:00PM

Ouch! Lol!

Well, maybe I just made someone very happy today.....

He just seemed to linger a bit....I don't mind, I know not everyone likes to be hugged. I'm a bit of a hugger, but I'm thinking maybe it was a little too much....:)!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 02:57PM

I don't like to be hugged by total strangers. Especially men.

Posted by: visiting ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 03:39PM

Don't move to my town, madalice! I get hugged by a stranger nearly every time I go out. I won't go shopping without my husband. If he steps away for a second I find some other guys arms wrapped around me. Not cool.

Date: June 04, 2014 06:22PM

Time to buy a vest with metal spikes on it.

Posted by: anono ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:42AM

Or wear one of Madonna's old spiked bras.

Posted by: anono ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:45AM

This is a very Anglo-American (puritan-style) discussion. In other many other countries, hugs and kisses on the cheeks (or both cheeks) is normal.

Posted by: Paidinfull ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 11:08AM

I agree hugging varies with region & country. Southerners in general are huggers, not so much in the Northeast. Makes it a bit difficult to decipher the intentions. Usually though, a full frontal hug with bodies touching is as intimate as a slow dance.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 02:02PM

Depends on the group. Some groups are big huggers. Some are not.

It's best not to read too much into ....anything! Just take it for what it is, most of the time, it's just a greeting.

I have friends that are big huggers. They will hug strangers, but always ask first!

Posted by: DeanF ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 02:03PM

I'm single I've been dating mostly non-member women but a few members as well. 80% seem to offer a hug after a first date it varies widly in intrensity, maybe 20% throw in a brief kiss and a few are ready for more than that. Your game improves with experience as you learn to sense your way into the interplay.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 02:08PM

Some people are comfortable and happy being huggy. Others are not. I wouldn't look too much into it. If anything, I'd bet there are people who want to hug, but don't, because they're concerned others may read too much into it.

As with handshakes, I'll follow their lead and oblige.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 02:55PM

the accompanying pelvic thrust, never presume it is intended as anything more than a hug.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 03:44PM

The pelvic thrust,
really drives me insa-a-ane

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 06:12PM

Let's do the time warp again!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:36PM

It's just a jump to the left...

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 03:26PM

A hug is just a hug. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hug just about everybody, but only if the other person is open to it. In my circle of friends, most of us are huggers and the friends/partners/lovers they bring to our get togethers are usually huggers, too. So it often happens that I hug somebody when I first meet him or her.

Don't think too much about it.

Date: June 04, 2014 06:30PM

Ha! You've never hugged my uncle B. He will put you into a full frontal bear hug and flatten you against his chest. He will then hold that pose long past the comfort zone. It's creepy. He's creepy. Just another dirty old man copping a feel.

Then there's my son in laws sister. She's a very huggy person. I think she's starving for human touch. She's single, and in her 30's. She has to hug everyone in the room several times in a two or three hour span. It gets to the point where I want to run when I see her coming. I've never seen her in a room with single men, so i'm not sure how she handles that. She's very pretty, very well endowed, but a bit mental. I'm sure there are guys out there that wouldn't mind hugging her, a lot. Nevermind she's had a very sheltered (catholic)life.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 06:28PM

In general, men should wait for the woman to initiate a hug.

If you don't know someone well, you should lean in so that only your shoulders touch and it would be brief.

Only if you really know someone well do you hold tighter and longer. This is family and close friends.

And let's not kid ourselves, we all know when someone is going too far for the wrong reasons. But sometimes just the right amount of wrong is just what the doctor ordered. :)

If you get a sudden knee to the groin, remove your hand from her butt immediately.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 06:34PM

What about the way the Duggars hug??

If Jessa Duggar Has Her Way, Her Boyfriend Will Stay At The ‘Side Hug Stage’ Forever

http://www.crushable.com/2014/06/04/entertainment/jessa-duggar-not-engaged-ben-seewald-does-not-like-him/#ixzz33iEtjkFi

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 07:22PM

I give enthusiastic hugs to everyone. Unfortunately, in my experience, almost every man I hug like this takes it as a sign I want a romantic relationship. I don't. I'm just making a friendly, platonic connection with you. I should probably stop doing this as it leads to awkward and annoying situations, but I always forget that because I'm a hugger. :/

Date: June 04, 2014 08:36PM

"sometimes just the right amount of wrong is just what the doctor ordered. :)"

LOL! I think that's what happened! :D! It's all good.

"If you get a sudden knee to the groin, remove your hand from her butt immediately."
Very Good advice! LOL!

" I should probably stop doing this as it leads to awkward and annoying situations, but I always forget that because I'm a hugger. :/"

Yeah, kind of like the "girl who can't say no" from Oklahoma. She forgets not everyone is reading her the same way she is giving out......:D!

Thank you all then, merrily on ward!

Posted by: Recovered Molly MO ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 10:30PM

You would have to know the person and if they LIKE physical contact.

How about ask.."Can I give you a friendly hug?"

Many people will misread ANY physical affection if they have been taught that a hug is always serious/romantic.

If things get misread-clarify them. A hug doesnt mean the same to everyone:)

RMM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 04, 2014 11:58PM

My observation around Mormons is that they all are hand shakers, everytime you turn around someone would shake my hand.
the only one that was different was my molly girl friend, we 'd hug, we fit well together.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 12:20AM

I heard there are studies that people who receive hugs frequently have longer life spans and better health than those who do not. I wish I had a few more hugs.

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:08AM

There is no rule. Sometimes a hug is a hug. Sometimes its culture. Sometimes its because two people feel attracted to each other. If you want to know if it means more, do the hug and then go in for kiss. You will know!

Posted by: BKP ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 05:01AM

I am a male and I am not a touchy feely person but I do like hugs from attractive members of the opposite sex. Sorry that is just the truth.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 01:47PM

I am a shaker not a hugger.

Posted by: Saucie ( )
Date: June 05, 2014 02:53PM

You know, there is no blanket generalization in the world that answers that question. People give hugs for countless reasons all
having to do with whomever you ask. If you want to know what that person meant when they hugged you , you need to ask them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.