Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Free418years ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 03:19PM

Do any of you here find yourselves buying LDS materials (manuals, "scriptures", etc.) when you see them in used book stores to keep them from falling into the hands of the easily manipulated and the needy? I was at a Half-Priced Books recently and ended up buying the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church series as well as a used Quad, and then tossed the lot into my trash incinerator just so they wouldn't fall into the hands of someone who's not a member of the morg who might actually fall for all that BS. My wife doesn't understand why I give a damn given that I haven't been affiliated with the morg for nearly two decades. However, since I know what the morg is capable of, I consider it to be a public service to destroy any of their crap that I can legally get my hands on. What do y'all think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 03:23PM

I love my local HPB! I think I would be willing to remove any LDS books infesting its shelves and incinerate them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 03:55PM

I bought an old Mormon Sunday school textbook called "History of the Church for Children." One lesson teaches that Christopher Columbus discovered the Lamanites and foolishly called them Indians. This book was printed in 1955. Excerpts:

"The Mormons have always been fair, kind and patient and generous with the Indians. (But) So long as the pioneers were willing to do all the work, the Indians were willing to be lazy." (page 86)

"These pioneers decided to walk across the plains and to push their food and property in handcarts." (page 45)

"Latter Day Saints believe that the Indians are descendents of Lehi, The great prophet of the Book of Mormon." (page 85)

"The spirits of dead people still live in the spirit world." (page 80)

"Before Joseph Smith...people thought that Jesus had stopped talking to people on the Earth." (page 78)

"Do you think the children of today know how thankful they should be?" (page 71)

"Moroni gave Joseph the Urim and Thummim...like large spectacles or eyeglasses. Joseph learned that if he would look at the writing on the "plates" through the glasses and think and study hard, he could understand what the old, strange writing was about." (page 7)

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 07:17PM

I doubt it.

I doubt that most TBMs know the book "No Man Knows My History" even exists in the first place.

They would have to know the book casts doubt on TSCC before they'd be willing to ditch it.

Posted by: whores'npratt ( )
Date: June 06, 2014 07:46PM

NOT-SO-RARE BIRD ALERT!

Our "Buy our stuff, sell or trade your stuff" mega rip-off emporium is offering 13 shiny-penny new BOMs up there in the religion shelves.

The sticker says $0.06 for each.

Ain't that a shame?

I think they have over-priced these treasures.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 04:24PM

So many books, so little money!

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 05:46PM

You ought to keep some of the old materials for proof of past crazy teachings that are now denied.

Posted by: Free418years ( )
Date: June 10, 2014 06:09PM

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. I suppose that it is a good idea to show people how much the teachings of TSCC have changed. Thanks.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 08:23PM

I never found much in the half price books or other used book stores. I have some how come across a bunch of old church books. One was a priesthood admin book from the 50's or so.

It helped me prep for a full on court of love.

I have all that stuff some where and don't plan on getting rid of it. It will be fun to look back on that during other "I don't know that we teach that" moments.

Posted by: plaid ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 08:30PM

A few weeks ago in a second-hand bookstore in the deep South I found two copies of a book of revelations from Warren Jeffs (I think that's his name; the guy who's in prison). Couldn't imagine how two of them got in that city. Both looked unread.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 09:47PM

I've done it a few times at my favorite thrift store.

Posted by: Anon REgular Lurker ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 11:21PM

at a prominant used bookstore in Portland, which is named after a Major street that parallells, and is south of, Division St. (Powell's for those not in Portland)

this was 20 years ago. I see they go on Ebay for about $20 - $100.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 10:10AM

Buying books to destroy them because you disagree with the content is of questionable morality, in my humble opinion.

Bookburning is one of the first steps of a dictator: Stifle criticism!

If Mormons were to do that with books critical of Mormonism, we would shake our heads and say "Shameful!!"

Don't appoint yourself to the Thought Control Police.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 02:20PM

I agree. Don't destroy older Mormon documents and books.

Save them as proof. Thats what I do.

That way it can never be said that "such and such was never so" by the church or it's apologists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 02:21PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 02:26PM

I wrestled with this.

The Book of Mormon lost.

Posted by: today's anon ( )
Date: June 10, 2014 04:27PM

I don't buy them, but I always smile when I see a large portion of the bookshelf in the "Religion" section filled to bursting with Mormon books. Makes me hope that someone has dumped them for good.

Posted by: sue ( )
Date: June 10, 2014 04:46PM

I like to buy the older books and lesson manuals, so that when/if the time ever comes with my "still devout" children, I can show them "YES!! The church did teach that --and usually for a long time"! My fun project (sometime in future) is to go through them and sticky note the side of every page that has something I'd like them to know. Then, I'll devote one whole bookcase to them!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.