Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonRegularPoster ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 05:48PM

We're getting transferred there. What's the temperature of the Mormon ward there? Have they grown or shrunken?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rescueranger ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 06:24PM

There's a huge amount of Ex Mo's in Texas, we have 4 different groups just around the Dallas Fort Worth area. I know they have others down south too.

Posted by: WillieOne ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 06:26PM

Nope, but a relative who was a former Governor of Oklahoma and runner up to Franklin D. Roosevelt for the Presidential ticket in 1932 was born in ToadSuck, Texas.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 07:13PM

Look up my email. I'm happy to divulge what I know of the area.

Date: June 07, 2014 09:09PM

Cheezus, I just sent my email address to SusanIS. Thanks in advance!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 05:45PM

I didn't mean to be so cryptic.... Christ dot cheezus at rocket mail dot com.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 07:50PM

I don't live in Spring but close to it (Kingwood stake). I haven't attended in 18 months (entire family is out) but TSCC appears to be growing due to the overall influx of people. All the growth is due to transplants however. Converts are few and far between and any converts are generally not "quality" converts.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 08:08PM

I have been to Spring, Texas many times. I love the Pine Trees there. They have large flying roaches in Spring. The tree roaches mostly live outside but also come into your house. They fly at your face when scared.

The small german roaches live in everyones houses. Just smash them when you see them which will be often. Most days. The german roaches will crawl into your ears at night. They cannot turn around in your ear and they cannot go backwards. Most hospitals in Houston treat about 3 roaches in the ear cases every day of the year. If you sleep with your mouth open and you close your mouth quickly, you might get to hear the crunch sound of a dying roach.

The Good Year Blimp used to be stationed in Spring. Right off IH-45. There is a large shopping center there now.

I think the gang problem at Spring High School has been taken care of.

Women love to shop at Old Town Spring. There is also a really good Texas Style Bar-B-Que place in Spring.

I hope your job is in Spring. Driving to downtown will take forever.

I just remembered - a friend of mine meet a women from Spring on the internet and he now lives in Spring with her. She has 4 kids with mental problems and he has 7 kids. They both told me the other one had a great job and was going to help out with the bills. The new wife learned about the 7 kids (he has custody) at the wedding when they all showed up. I was surprised all of his kids were out of jail.

I hope you enjoy Spring, Texas - It has very strong wards there and a new building for you to meet in.

Date: June 07, 2014 08:48PM

Job is in Spring. I recall the roaches. They were large enough to carry your kids away.

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 09:11PM

Look for my cousin Nancy. She lives in Spring, TX and is inactive LDS. Loves horses, dancing and she's a massage therapist.

Posted by: anonfromspring ( )
Date: June 07, 2014 10:36PM

Converted to the church when I lived in Spring in the late 90s...but I was in the Klein area. Check out Rudy's bbq.
I used to meet in the Klein stake center, Klein ward before I shipped out to utah to go to ybu. The families I hung with were very loving. Few years after I moved, they built a new building in Gleannloch Farms and made all the wards smaller...I remember people talkng about how the church was growing because there were new wards, but they just took care of the overflow and made sure everyone now had a calling. Haven't been in years, however, so that probably doesn't help you, op.

I live in Houston again. Let's just say I fit in more living in the Montrose area than being Mormon in Spring.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 10:22PM

I lived on Montrose for 5 months, St Josephs Univ. was right behind us. I couldn't believe it was Texass!! The museums, ( too many to list) the theatre scene did a bunch of A. Miller that year, the restaurants within walking distance were some of the top ten in the country. Austin is great (especially now that I live in oreegun), but the Montrose zone of Houston was epic.

So we went out and saw Blue October on numerous occasions out in the sticks and that is what made me realize how great inner loop Houston was or is. This is going back 15 years or so.

I got no input on Spring, but I imagine it is a gun nut fascist minded zone like the outer loop of Houston.

Oh and in addition, all of you people out there need to spend an extended period of time next to the Black Labrador for the food and the chess.

However, I have to say don't move to Spring unless you are aFaux news viewer!!

Date: June 08, 2014 12:49AM

The first time I ever saw men kiss each other was at a restaurant in Montrose on Westheimer. This group of men were having a meeting and when the meeting ended, this Flaming Queen was trying to tongue all the men. That was quite something to see for a recently RM.

I believe it was not long after that I heard Houston had the second largest gay population in the Nation.

One of the guys in the ward I grew up in moved to the Montrose area and I heard he died of AIDS. So sad. Sam was a really nice person. Sam came from one of the first LDS families in Houston. Of course he was no longer welcomed at TSCC when he realized he preferred being with men instead of women. Perhaps if he had gotten involved in the inspired of god LDS shock treatment program, he would still be with us. I understand their conversion ratio was really high since it worked.

Date: June 08, 2014 12:49AM

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 01:18AM

I'm from Texas but not Houston area. However, my TBM cousins live in Spring and I used to go there from time to time. Spring is very close to where the LDS temple is located, so I'd assume there are several wards in the area. Good luck. The worst thing about Texas isn't the Mormons or the Baptists...it's the heat and the humidity. I could never go back.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 01:21AM

I live about 10 miles west of Spring, but I used to live there. It was a nice place about 15 years ago but now it's getting kind of run down. Don't know anything about the morg meetings there. The traffic is horrible on the rare occasion I have to drive through the place.

You might consider living in one of the areas surrounding Spring.

Posted by: Anon 4 this ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 03:11AM

I just moved from the woodlands. We will be back in a little less then two years. I have never been to church their but my tBm sister went once or twice and says it is the stepford housewife ward.

Also really didn't need to see the post about the bugs eww. They do live outside but if you have a house without holes in it just immediately get an exterminator company to come and spray regularly and you should be fine. We have terminex spray outside the house 4-6 times a year and we have never had a problem.

Date: June 08, 2014 04:27PM

Posted by: Echo Base ( )
Date: June 08, 2014 09:56PM

I spent my whole life in Spring. It is a great place to live. On the other hand the growth of the church is huge down there. Spring a few years ago just maybe had 3 wards. Over the past 10 years they have created a huge stake. The growth is still exponential because of the new Exxon Headquarters. So I would imagine the next two years you will notice a exponential spike in the Mormon population. Over the past few months some very active families have gone inactive, but still very strong wards.

Posted by: Anon 4 this ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 01:31AM

Yes Exxon is about to move tons of people to a facility in between spring and the woodlands. The housing market is going nuts. We have owned our house for a year and half and a house in our neighborhood just sold for 100k more than ours for a fairly comparable house. I don't know as much about spring but the woodlands has great amenities. There are so many trees that even in the summer it's nice and shady outside and there are pools everywhere. Don't know where you are going to be working but I would not recommend trying to commute downtown from spring, the highways and traffic are horrible. I lived in two other places in Houston as well so if you have other questions let us know! I don't know much about the church but I have run into Mormons just at parks and stuff and most had no interest in talking about it or even converting me! One mom tried to get more info from me when I mentioned my sister was tBM but I don't offer any info on being ex mo because it's none of their business.

Date: June 09, 2014 11:39AM

all the way to Lake Woodlands? How many miles is the river walk? Having a river walk seems like such a wonderful idea.

Posted by: Anonanon ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 12:04PM

Thewoodlandstx.com/waterway

Date: June 09, 2014 01:01PM

Posted by: trulyitsme ( )
Date: June 10, 2014 05:13PM

I am an inactive Mormon.I live in Spring Texas.I have had a few visits from the missionaries.They are of course very nice.
I won't be rejoining them though.
I have lived in this neck of the woods for almost a year and if you like the hustle bustle of what's going on here now you'll love Spring.
The new Exxon world headquarters is going up just a few miles to my north and the traffic from the construction of roads being widened and new freeway extensions is chaotic.
I will be selling my new home as soon as Exxon is completed and move to another less chaotic location.
I expect to get almost twice what I paid for it.
I don't know a soul here as everyone is just too busy working and don't seem to want an older widowed lady to be friendly with.
good luck in your endeavor.

Date: June 10, 2014 07:23PM

Thank you for your reply. If you would like, send Susan IS an email and ask for my email address. I would love your friendship. I'm excommunicated. I can't get any more "out" of the LDS church that this.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: June 09, 2014 04:37PM

The NW area, which includes Spring, Cypress, Jersey Village, and Tomball is the LDS stronghold of Houston. The temple is centrally located smack dab in the middle of that area and the TBMs are as thick as flies (relatively speaking). I live about 45 miles west of there.

Posted by: anonfromspring ( )
Date: June 10, 2014 07:01PM

Thanks for the montrose love, it really is epic. The Black Labrador is in my top two next to Hobbit Cafe. The cheddar soup with a nice tall bodi's will do ya right. Hobbit has a good beer list as well. Actually found wasatch pumpkin ale there a few years back! Go figure...move back to texas and order some utah beer ;)

I forgot to mention I lived pretty close to the temple on champion forest/cypresswood. Lotsa momos at my high school. I forgot about all the influx since I'm in the loop now. I do remember the hullabaloo about the stepford wife-ishness... mostly the superiority complex that comes from having baker's dozen kids...since that's sadly what's expected and praised.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.