Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tedd ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 01:43AM

As if the atonement is remade in the past every time I look at a naked fucking lady! LOL

I hate religion

Mormonism is just an offshoot

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 07:13AM

Actually, that is more the Catholic stance. Catholic guilt is based on how could you make The Nicest Guy Who Ever Lived suffer even more.

Mormon guilt s primarily about "how could you make the Organization look bad?"

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 01:19PM

Have you ever been Catholic? Because that's not the basis of Catholic guilt. Catholic's aren't about Jesus was the nicest guy in the world. Nice doesn't cut it in the Catholic world. That's why Catholic depictions of Jesus crucified are horrific.

Catholic guilt is based on everything being your responsibility but you're too limited to do anything about it. Catholic guilt is about caring deeply, and the futility of that. Hence, the resurrection, a duex ex machina to raise you beyond the futility of the mortal coil. Very depressing religion.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 04:35PM

It was a joke which apparently went yards over your head. While I wasn't Catholic, pretty much everyone in the city I grew up in was, including all my relatives in that city. The city had 4 public high schools and 7 parochial ones. I knew more about novenas than fast offerings at age 12.

I actually stole the line from a book of comic essays, named "Growing Up Catholic". The author thought it was a witty encapsulation of Catholic guilt.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 07:57AM

Oh, yeah. "Every time you sin, it's as though you struck one of the hammer blows to those nails yourself."

It's all about guilt-trips with them.

They are not a church of love. They are all about guilt, fear and control.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 09:56AM

and how fucked up Mormonism really is.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 09:59AM

Yep. Got taught that every time you sin, Jesus retrospectively suffered more.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 10:22AM

My understanding was that he already suffered for the sin, but it was for not if I failed to repent. I became guilt-ridden because I stopped confessing everything to the bishop.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 12:03PM

So you're the one who killed Jesus.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 12:06PM

How about - Jesus already paid for it - I don't want his suffering to be in vain so I'm going to sin like crazy.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 05:27PM

That's the lutheran version. Back to the OP: no it wasn't just you who somehow could make Jesus suffer more on the cross retrospectively.

Posted by: mindog ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 12:07PM

When some of the water would get on my hands from the sacrament cups I would wonder how much of his blood was spilled for me and how much suffering I had put on this person because of whatever stupid thing I'd done or a thought I had..

Way to keep people down...

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 12:13PM

I was always confused by that. I was always like, "Didn't the Atonement already happen? So... you're saying that my sins were already pre-determined at that time? Do I have a choice whether or not to commit them? And if so, how does the consequence of them happen 2,000 years ago?"

I never got a good answer to any of that.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 12:17PM

I remember hearing a GA say he wondered how many drops of blood were shed for him. I also heard a GA say that same idea was false doctrine. Make up your mind you guys.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 01:40PM

Yep, I heard people talk about how much suffering your sins caused him, or how many drops of blood you caused him to shed. I'd feel bad for "sinning", wondering how much pain I caused. Guilt, guilt, and more guilt, even though no part of the atonement made any sense whatsoever.

As someone mentioned, did that mean my sins were predetermined? If so, then why do we supposedly have free agency if everything we do is decided in advance anyway. Why did Jesus have to die? Why did God create us so imperfect that we couldn't live with him again, unless someone was killed? How does someone else getting killed make it all better?!?

As a TBM, I had so many unanswered questions about the atonement; I truely wanted to understand.

It's funny it took me leaving Mormonism and Christianity to finally get the answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 01:41PM by twistedsister.

Posted by: tedd ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 03:15PM

But if you remember the real "atonement" was in the garden of Gethemane when he bled from every pore for the sins of the world, according to Mo' doctrine, that was the real suffering, the crucifixion was peanuts compared to that, supposedly. So he sat there in agony and felt the sins of each individual one at a time through microseconds

And Jesus, how many Goddamn pores did Jesus have, there couldn't have been a drop of blood for every human being ever, could there?

This retardation can only be pounded into people's head from birth, or the cult would never survive. There isn't even that many members, its just the members it does have are very dedicated, and very, very fucking brain washed

Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 03:38PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 05:31PM

No More:

people being responsible for their own actions!

if we could nail down the time/date/place where the above became policy/practice in Morland...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 11:07PM

Every time you do that a kitten dies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.