Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 11:38AM

A lot of you on here know me and know my story. I have apologized more than once for my actions that led to me not being able to go to Arizona Ex Mormon meet ups anymore. But I have been doing a lot of soul searching and inward reflecting, so I felt that I needed to post this. As many of you know, I have Asperger's Syndrome. However, I can not use that as an excuse for my actions. HERE IS THE MISTAKE that I made. I thought that Ex Mormon's (Ex Mo Women) would be open to talking about sex, I did not realize that is not the case for various reasons. I am posting this, because this is one of my ways of trying to make amends and rectifying my behavior. Again, I realize that I can not use my condition as an excuse for my behavior and I am just trying to take responsibility for my actions. Thank you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 01:43PM

^Yes I have, and I know that my actions would probably fall into that category. Please do not think that I am making any excuses for my actions.

Posted by: MissTwitch13 ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 01:45PM

"HERE IS THE MISTAKE that I made. I thought that Ex Mormon's (Ex Mo Women) would be open to talking about sex, I did not realize that is not the case for various reasons."

So, it's not your fault, it's the fault of the women (and I'm sure men) you offended because they weren't as open about sex as you want them to be?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 01:57PM

I am not in Arizona, and I know nothing about this situation or any of the people involved, but I DO have someone very close to me in my family who is Asperger's, and I DO, from my bone marrow out after all these years, have some understanding of how difficult and confusing "normal" (non-Asperger's) life can be to someone who is Asperger's.

Though issues of sexual harassment are most definitely NOT a factor in my own family life, I can interpolate from TOTALLY-different-issues-but-SAME-pattern issues how bewildering this must be to the OP, and how crazy-making this can be to those who have to deal with whatever it is.

I guess I'm just asking for more empathy here on the part of those who have (truly! ;) ) been offended...and more perseverance on the part of OP.

It's not going to "cure" anything, but it will make life better for everyone.

I've been dealing with this for a very long time now, and I really do understand what is going on here.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 02:04PM

P.S. Advice to OP:

Find whatever groups of Asperger's people exist in Arizona. Could be meet-ups, could be group therapy or outpatient groups, could be ANYTHING, so long as that is where most or all of the people are Aspies.

Concentrate on socializing with people who see life the same way you do, and have the same difficulties with life as you do.

Along the way, you're going to connect with some adult females who have the same problems with socializing as you do (though these problems may be expressed differently in their lives).

Forget about commonalities of people who were once Mormon, because in your situation, this should be a distant second in your priorities.

Find fellow Aspies!

And the rest will (at least probably) take care of itself from there.

:)

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 03:47PM

Good advice.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 03:33PM

Sometimes Aspies have a difficult time with those boundaries that the rest of us naturally understand.

I don't know the full situation - but clearly there were some heavy boundaries that were crossed and the OP is apologizing for that.

I also agree with Tevai about finding a support group or something to help learning social boundaries that we "normies" take for granted.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 06:49PM

The best thing you can do is learn and move on. It sounds like you are doing that. Keep it up!

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 11, 2014 08:36PM

i'm a female aspie exmo, I have never had a relationship. but discussing sex does not offend me among like minded people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.