Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:39AM

Ok, so I am young (25 give or take) and newly on the dating scene. So I am no longer interested in LDS girls, and am not down for the club scene. What else is there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:02AM

Take a class (like cooking), or find a new hobby where you meet and socialize with people.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:22PM

Bingo! I took cooking classes for two years and not only did I meet nice gals in class, but also reaped the benefits of being able to cook a quasi-haute-cuisine meal.

Another hobby that reaped benefits was photography, same results.

Ron

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:21AM

I wish I had all the time back that I spent in my twenties and thirties chasing guys who didn't seem to like me that much. I might have met someone who did like me and I could have gotten along with.

The chances of meeting one at 50 are A LOT lower. But, hey--at least I'm not stuck with someone who doesn't seem to like me that much.

:-)

Posted by: burning bossom ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:49AM

I am in the same boat as you....It's not easy. You need to go to a college where there are people ripe for the picking, even if you aren't going to school. You also need to realize that people are met through other people, so even if you don't get along with one girl, there is possibly another entangled in the web of people that she knows. You can also try gyms, bigger coffee shops, certain store or the mall. Don't try church or the internet. Also don't go to clubs. Be able to just talk to anyone, cause you never know when you could get in with someone. You should read books on the art of the pick-up artist, of which there are many. Look up Neil Strauss, Mystery, David DeAngelo, and Juggler. They have many good things to say, but I don't agree with them trying to get women just to sleep with them, even if they are married. Some have learned to look beyond that, some haven't. I myself have a long road ahead of me for learning the art of being good with women when I do plan on starting to date, but for now, I just work out all the time and go to school. I also want to wait to get out of Utah, but I might have to compromise. Good luck. Some men are born good with women and some have to work extra hard at it, but in the end, it's a badge of honor to say that you have a good chance of dating many different types of women, not just the kind that fall into your lap. I myself have the gift of being exceptionally good looking, but my social skills with women are near zero. Everybody has something to offer though. Find out what that is and built your confidence. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:54AM

Depends what you like to do. If you are the active type, why not take a running class, or join a team sport such as volleyball or beach volleyball? You will most likely meet like minded singles?
Like to read, eat or movies? I met my husband at 33, and although I was still LDS at the time (and so was he) both of us refused to go to the over 30 dances. It was not a place I wanted to meet anyone. So I had an idea. I loved playing volleyball, going hiking, eating in new restaurants and watching movies. I started an email group for LDS singles over 30 in my area, where I would post an activity for the weekend.
I simply picked something I wanted to do, emailed the time and place to everyone in my list, and whomever showed up, showed up. The list started with me and 4 other friends, and grew to over 70 people in no time. Of course, not all 70 showed up for all activities, but I started having quite a large list of people showing up.
I met my husband during picnic that I planned where we had a volleyball competition, then had a barbque, and went rowing. I organized the volleyball competition, but each person was asked to bring something to barbq and something potluck to share. We had lots of fruits, and other treats. It was great. He was a friend of someone in my list.
Of course, since you no longer want to date lds, start up a list for non lds. You have more options to post your activities such a facebook. Make sure to post activities where you do not need to make reservations, and if you do, request an RSVP from those coming in advance.
Other activities I planned and sent an open invitation to anyone that want to come along was to help out in soup kitchens, and the food bank. With Christmas coming, it is just the thing to do, plus they do not care that you have a lot of people, the more the merrier. We had a group of about 30 people that showed up to help serve a christmas eve supper for those less fortunate. And after, we all went to a movie. It was great.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:06AM

forgot to mention that the best thing of starting my email list, was that I was the owner of the list. So I had many, many people that started contacting me directly to have their name added to the list, or making suggestions for some really good activities to do, and kind of became the person everyone knew.
It became easy and effortless to meet new people, as they started coming to me and not me to them. The number of people I knew and associated with increased largely, which meant I had many more options and choices. I met people I would not otherwise met, and was able to make a very good choice for myself because of this.
Plus, even on a low turnout, I always had a few people that would show up, so every weekend, I was out doing something fun and interesting, that I wanted to do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.