Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ab ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 11:53AM

People need integration and healing. The church makes people, sometimes unconsciously, hate parts of themselves. The hated parts are repressed and projected into others. Sometimes it involves rejecting a person that no longer believes. This time it involved a gun and shooting.

http://dailydigestnews.com/2014/06/oregon-school-shooter-wanted-to-kill-sinners-parents-apologize/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 11:55AM

the fruits of religion

=======================================

I love the way the parents acted surprised when they have caused the tragedy by instilling the horrible "us versus them" mentality for the whole life of the kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:12PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 11:56AM

+100

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 03:19PM

Well said, Dave.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 02:39PM

I found it particularly interesting that the parents did not, even a tiny bit, say that they as parents had made a few mistakes. Instead, they were playing the mormon role, so all was well and perfect.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 04:14PM

It wasn't until I had left TSCC and could view it with a critical eye, that I could see that the way things are done in TSCC puts kids at risk.

I'm willing to take what the parents, in this case, say at face value. The problem is that this boy was exposed to many adults, over his short lifetime, who may or may not have taught him things with which his parents disagree.

In TSCC there is very little oversight. No background checks, no real interviews, no training or qualifications for people to work with children and youth.

I have to wonder what this kid's bishop knows. Is the bishop part of the problem? Who made this kid fear and loath sin so much that he wanted to kill sinners?

Did this young kid, somehow, somewhere find out about blood atonement?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 04:23PM

I think this doesn't advance the understanding and therefore prevention of mass shooters. It obfuscates and doesn't get to the root of the cause.

What seems to be more true, if you look at most of the cases, is that they're people who feel wronged by society, they twist it round and round in their minds why killing discriminately is justified and then they make plans. They usually write out their plans and then wait for the right moment.

This has nothing to do with mormonism. And there but for the grace of god go you or I as parents (well, except for the guns in the house with kids). This has to do with emerging teen mental health and aggression; problem solving; a violent aspect that is unique to our culture and access to guns.

I've known to many parents who knew their kids were not doing well but were helpless to really get any help. And a few of them died at the hands of those same kids. It's not bad parenting. It's that humans are sometimes very dangerous animals.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 04:37PM

"taught our children are love in Jesus Christ, compassion, forgiveness, and patience. These were all natural attributes we observed within Jared daily."
they raised him in the mormon church....he was taught that he was better than everyone, he was taught that because he had the Ph he had righteous judgement, he was taught that gays are sinners, blacks are lesser, and that women who uncovered their shoulders were of lesser worth in the eyes of God. He was taught that he would become a God.
How is that compassion, forgiveness, patience or anything that CHRIST would ever teach????

Posted by: Regular not logged in ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 04:39PM

Devoted Exmo -- Thank you for being a voice of reason. As far as I know, this is the first shooting like this that's made national headlines that has involved a kid from TSCC -- (there may have been others, but this certainly isn't a prevalent TSCC problem) -- yet the posters here are blaming TSCC for this shooting. What about all the other shootings?

The real issues get lost when we try to pin everything on TSCC.

It's just so frustrating to me to read posts that blame everything on TSCC -- there are enough legitimate things to complain about and blaming everything on TSCC takes away from other arguments.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 04:52PM

I'm not pinning this on Tscc...I have a son who is mentally ill. he has been violent towards me and he is residential treatment currently. His mental illness and his aggression have nothing to do with church.
But my son isn't trying to kill all the " SINNERS". The mentality that the TSCC puts into these kids does not HELP. Doesn't help a normal healthy kid to become that arrogant and it certainly doesn't help a mentally unstable kid. Parents and friends are usually to see the first signs of mental illness but sometimes even they don't see it happening especially if they are in a freaking cult.In this particular case, his mental illness may not have anything to do with tscc, but tscc gave him, figuratively speaking...ammunition to do what he did.

Date: June 15, 2014 04:55PM

While that's tangentially true, I believe he would/could have come up with any number of other "reasons" to justify murder. Because that's what he was really after.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: June 15, 2014 05:23PM

just complicated things.

Date: June 15, 2014 05:46PM

But "sinning" and "sinners" being a bad thing is not an idea unique to mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.