Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 03:22AM

Check out this KSL news story and video demonizing this hippie celebration:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30343975&nid=148&title=rainbow-family-gathering-prompts-concerns-in-heber&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

The unwarrented negative bias and contention KSL (the media arm of the mafia-cult) wants to stir among mormons here is amazing yet very very sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 03:33AM

The Hippies could teach the Mo's some lessons. I agree that KSL being the media arm of Elohim, is trying to stir the pot.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 03:40PM

frankie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Hippies could teach the Mo's some lessons. I
> agree that KSL being the media arm of Elohim, is
> trying to stir the pot.

Trying to distract attention from John & Kate.

Posted by: Krampus! ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:20AM

Information on the Rainbow Family Gathering for those who wish to attend:

http://nevadautahgathering2014.blogspot.com/

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:11AM

Halfway through I had to look at the heading again because I thought his had to be The Onion.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 10:49AM

Fear of the unknown, or of those who are different. I worked two different Rainbow Family gatherings, in two different states during my time with the USFS. It was my job to make sure they weren't disturbing any archaeology with latrine trenches, etc. I also went back after they had gone to pick up trash. There was none. They left the cleanest campsite I had ever seen.

Before they arrived the little towns adjacent went nuts with paranoia (they will eat your babies type of crap, etc.). In total I think there was one overdose and somebody left a sheet of acid in a mini mart bathroom. There are much worse problems every year at the annual rodeo.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:48PM

Richard the Bad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They left
> the cleanest campsite I had ever seen.

Not the case at the last two gatherings in Montana. They left a real mess, a huge amount of trash and waste, causing an environmental and public health nightmare.

Other than that they caused no problems.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:50PM

Sorry to hear that. The last one I was involved with was in the early'90's. Sounds like quite a bit has changed.

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:09PM

If I'm remembering right they stayed in PA a few years back at a national forest area, and trashed it also. Was big bucks of tax-payer money to get it back the way it needed to be.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:36PM

Bashing the hippies without citing evidence?

How very LDS of you.

Posted by: Matt nli ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 06:40PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Gathering

There are some problems associated with the camps, including dysentery in one instance and other matters of concern.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 06:56PM

One outbreak of dysentery way back in 1987, over 27 years ago, an that is what has you all frantic?

Posted by: Feelinglight ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:09AM

So afraid is this small-minded church.....

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 11:45AM

The Mormons were the first American campers in the area. They were diverse. They were as a family, in a sense. Now they are hysterical they might have visitors and potential converts? Hah!

Rainbow = family; the original "live and let live" hang. Hippie or Happy?

Mormons are looking for money and happiness. Happy people are looking for the same, just in the other order, and without the dogma, shame and hypocrisy.

Maybe Mormons are afraid of beauty and original and lasting happiness.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:25PM

"Culture war" is LDSInc.'s bread and butter. No opportunity is missed.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:43PM

Imagine if these hippies did the Hosannah shout. Boy would they look weird huh?

Posted by: mrjones ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 07:20PM

Sounds fun to me. Perhaps they are afraid that their youth will be corrupted. Haha.

That's how I was freed from the Mos. Joined the hippies.

Go for it kids!

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 03:49PM

THE GIRLS CAMP HAD TO BE MOVED? !! Oh the horror! Im so glad that seemed to be the main issue! Ha!

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 04:34PM

Had to read up on Rainbow Family, see link. What a harmless group- What paranoid Morons Mormons are. Not like there were 20,000 Black Panthers. And they are camping more than 15 miles south west of Kamas, half way to Dushane. Funny that Rainbow will be calling Utah "Babylon" . See below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Family

""Those who attend Rainbow Gatherings usually share an interest in intentional communities, ecology, New Age spirituality and entheogens. Attendees refer to one another as "Rainbows", or often as "Brother" or "Sister". Group Councils, the only form of government, are held regularly, with attendance being open to all interested parties and decisions being reached through consensus. The exchange of money is frowned upon, and barter stressed as an alternative. Adherents call the camp "Rainbowland" and, in an appropriaton of Rastafarian customs, refer to the world outside of gatherings as "Babylon."

The use of alcohol in "Rainbowland" is discouraged, but not banned,"

Hide your daughters...

Like your statement "hello" ...."Culture war" is LDSInc.'s bread and butter. No opportunity is missed.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 05:32PM

The Rainbow gathering here in Utah has seen one death. In the linked KSL article, "The gathering east of Heber City has also seen its first death — a 39-year-old woman from New Hampshire, Wasatch County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Jared Rigby confirmed."

So I wouldn't call them harmless.

They also have a penchant for leaving trash and pets behind; see, eg:
http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/IndyBlog/archives/2013/07/22/rainbow-gathering-allegedly-leaves-more-than-a-dozen-dogs-behind

http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2008/07/do_rainbow_folks_actually_hurt.html

Given the sheer size of the crowd, it's probably best for unattended minors to not be in the same area, so I can't blame the LDS church for pulling up stakes.

Date: June 17, 2014 05:35PM

Shocking!! Just Shocking!!

Alpiner sides with hysterical Mormons over the hippies.

Date: June 17, 2014 05:42PM

Because it's prudent to keep your kids away from large congregations of strangers? That's not so much 'hysterical' as prudent. I'm not 'siding' with anyone, and it should be noted that Rainbow usually drives people out of the forest wherever they go; it's not just a Utah thing. Not a lot of people go camping looking for Woodstock 2.0.

Date: June 17, 2014 05:50PM

I love watching Libertarians when the "wrong" people start using the Constitution.

Suddenly things move from stark black and white into infinite shades of grey.

And terms like "prudent" begin to be tossed around...

Date: June 17, 2014 06:05PM

What the what?

You didn't offer a cogent argument. I never argued that they didn't have the right to use national land. Just that others were prudent to leave them to it while they used it.

I would heartily suggest you trouble yourself to stop the ad-hominems and actually understand my point. The LDS camps are pulling up stakes due to the safety issues and degradation of enjoyment caused by thousands of people setting up camp in the national forest; people that have historically left behind unsanitary conditions, diseased animals, and bags of trash (by no means a universal occurrence, but often enough to make it newsworthy). Calling the LDS taking appropriate safety measures 'hysterical' is misguided.

And trying to make a libertarian/constitutional argument is even moreso. I never brought it up as any kind of constitutional/libertarian/political issue, so I can't speak to what argument you're trying to address, unless you're trying to infer something I didn't say, in which case I would suggest you not try to read minds.

Date: June 17, 2014 06:20PM

My "ad-hominem" attack?

That's funny.

Are you conceding that Libertarian is a pejorative? LMAO

In any case, I prefer it to misleading insinuations...

"I wouldn't call them harmless." So this woman who died was murdered?

"It probably best if unattended minors not to be left in the same area" Why? Do hippies eat Mormon children?

Date: June 17, 2014 06:33PM

Ask, and receive:

Denver,CO
http://www.dailycamera.com/features/ci_13100619
"Five members of the "Rainbow Family... -- best known for its large gatherings every July - were arrested Tuesday night by Boulder County sheriff's deputies after a violent brawl broke out at the group's campsite near Ward."

Cheyenne, WY
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-07-04-rainbow-family-clash_N.htm
"The U.S. Forest Service says about 400 members of the Rainbow Family threw rocks and sticks at federal officers who were trying to arrest a member of the group. The agency said five members were arrested"

Tennessee
http://www.wjhl.com/story/20769173/forestry-service-makes-arrests-at-rainbow-gathering
"Today, the Sheriff's Office told us the National Forestry Service has issued 203 warning notices, 117 violations and made nine arrests, including two assaults."

There are many more such incidents you can peruse if you wish. Whatever the web page states, Rainbow members are not always peace-loving nor tolerant.

I never stated that the woman was murdered. Initial suspicion is that she OD'd.

I additionally never stated hippies ate Mormon children. The issue is that law enforcement resources are stretched, and that Rainbow has been cited for violence in the past.

In any case, it's not a good environment for 12-year-old girls without parental supervision. Saying as much doesn't make the church 'hysterical.'

Date: June 17, 2014 06:37PM

Actually the question that I "asked" you was...

"Are you conceding that (the term) Libertarian is a pejorative?"

Date: June 17, 2014 06:41PM

Nope. The pejorative was insinuating I was 'hysterical' (your quote, not mine), or that the "wrong" people (you putting words in my mouth) were using national forest lands.

Date: June 17, 2014 06:27PM

Also, that pic of a pile of stacked and sealed garbage bags was a non-sequitur.

I bet that you produce more garbage or waste than a small tribe of hippies in one week.

It's amusing that you think that it's more damaging for humans to camp on National Forrest land than it is to clear cut on National Forrest land (or mining), that happens all the time.

This point was found on the Comments sections of the NPR photo that YOU linked.

Date: June 17, 2014 06:39PM

"I bet that you produce more garbage or waste than a small tribe of hippies in one week."
Citation, please?

"It's amusing that you think that it's more damaging for humans to camp on National Forrest land than it is to clear cut on National Forrest land (or mining), that happens all the time."

Please indicate where I've ever indicated that it is more damaging for people to camp on National Forrest[sic] land than it is to mine or clear cut on it.

Once again, my original point -- that the reason the LDS church pulled up stakes is about safety, and is not by any means 'hysterical'-- stands, your distractions to the contrary.

Date: June 17, 2014 06:51PM

I don't doubt that you honestly agree with the Mormon Cult on this and other issues.

That does not mean that there is a real threat there.

The Cult uses the irrational fear of "others" to keep the sheeple in line.

There are all sorts of children at these gatherings.

In my opinion, you're accepting the Cults fear mongering as some sort of fact.

The Mormon cult has admitted publicly that Sexual Child Abuse is a problem amongst their members. Perhaps you should be more concerned with your children living in a Mormon Community.

If you're going to put forward that there is a real threat to children camping near these hippies, you need to provide evidence for it instead of simply affirming a baseless claim from The a Cult of Mormon Liars.

Date: June 17, 2014 07:00PM

I did put evidence, in the form of links, in the thread immediately above.

You can make the argument that assaults and arrests occurring at these events do not put 12-year-old girls camping nearby without their parents in danger. A reasonable argument in the opposite direction can also be made.

Date: June 17, 2014 07:19PM

The only problem with your "evidence", (aside for the fact that 2 of the 3 articles were from 2008), is that none of them addressed a problem with the Rainbowers causing problems with minor girls camping nearby.

In other words, you and the cultists you're parroting are panicking about a problem that doesn't exist, except in your Gentile-Panicked minds.

I understand though, really I do. The brainwashing goes deep. And fear if the "other" is an area where the cult puts a lot if marbles.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 06:48PM

And every large group leaves things behind, like trash. You should see what is left behind by the people that watch the days of 47 parade in salt lake. So judge the Mormons and other spectators as harshly for leaving trash.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 05:57PM

Not too long ago on this board there was mention of the clutter/trash left by the Boy Scouts in the recreational areas. The parks seem to shudder when they hear the BSA are coming camping. The BSA have occasional deaths too (and rolling boulders is probably something the Rainbow Family would not engage in).

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 07:11PM

I'm only a casual newsreader, but there seems to be a real trend, in some USFS jurisdictions, for local LEO bosses to discriminate and target Rainbows for harassment, denial of permits, and citations, due to culture war intolerance and bigotry, fueled by personal ambitions. Not a new story in the USA.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.