Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 06:58PM

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post yesterday on the Book of Abraham. You can find it here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,116579

The thread was filling up quickly, so I didn't add any more comments of my own before it was closed by Admin (who all do a GREAT job, by the way!). But I wanted to respond below to a few of your comments--and if anyone else would like to add more original comments to this thread, please do!

Also, Steve Benson has posted a MUST-READ account relating to this subject. Several years ago, he had the opportunity to meet personally with two General Authorities to discuss his concerns over the Book of Abraham (along with other subjects). Their responses to his questions are frustrating and telling. For those of you who haven't read Steve's treatment of this subject, here is the link:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,116958

And here are my responses/comments to some of your posts:

JoD3:360: "'"The Book of Abraham is not central to the restored gospel of Christ."' That is true. However, it IS central to LDS brand Mormonism...which is also not central to the Gospel of Christ, restored or otherwise."

FD: Yeah, the BoA is not central (or even relevant) to much of anything outside the Mormon church ... LOL!

Hoggle: "[Facsimile 1] seems to prove that LDS canonized scripture has nothing to do with reality."

FD: Agreed. Those "restorations" that JS made of the missing portions of the facsimiles are a mess--and the interpretations he included in the PoGP are scary bizarre! Even when the apologists claim the papyrus translated by JS to create the BoA has not been found (a wholly untenable assertion!), the facsimiles that have been included as part of the BoA leave them with little room to maneuver!

another guy: "Gee tries to brush away everything except for his six 'important' things that 'need to be defended'."

FD: I noticed that glaring feint, too. It appears that Gee has largely given up trying to be an apologist for the BoA and is simply saying: "Move on. There's nothing to see here. Instead, develop your testimony of these other things that have no connection to the BoA and are in no way threatened (in his mind, at least) by physical evidence!"

magunga and Mårv Fråndsen comments on non-Mormon Egyptologists' being "intrigued" by JS's BoA

FD: Griggs could have also honestly stated that non-Mormon Egyptologists are "dumbfounded," "flabbergasted," "astonished" and "amazed," at JS's "translation" of the BoA ... LOL!

magunga: "[Griggs]told the congregation that his mentor, noted Egyptologist Klaus Baer, had praised Joseph Smith for his insight into ancient Egyptian language and culture ...."

FD: This claim isn't totally unbelievable. I have heard that critics of the Mormon church will often make generous statements regarding the church while in the presence of their Mormon friends and colleagues; this type of inconsistency is just reflective of human nature--everyone tells "white lies" and puts their "positive spin" on things in awkward and difficult situations in order not to damage important relationships with others.

T-Rex and magunga comments on the Greek Psalter and Kinderhook plates incidents.

FD: Of the five examples we have of JS's ability to translate, four have been debunked based on ancient documents that we currently have available to us. They are: portions of the Bible, the Book of Abraham, the Greek Psalter and the Kinderhook plates.

http://www.mormonthink.com/greekweb.htm#whatmost

JS utterly failed to correctly translate any one of those. The "golden plates" allegedly translated to produce the BoM, were conveniently "spirited" off by an angel, and so are unavailable for examination.

Seneca: "For how many has the BoA brought down the church? almost every exmormon that I have meet cite the BoA fraud as a significant reason for losing their faith in the church . . . ."

FD: I think that at least one reason Gee is so desperately trying to downplay the BoA is to make an attempt at "inoculating" members against arguments they may see in the future: if they can be led by him to believe that the BoA is basically insignificant in the scheme of things LDS, then they will be less likely to abandon their "testimonies" in the future when confronted with the INESCAPABLE truth regarding the BoA.

Misfit: "The first 4 lessons in GD class last year were 100% based on The Book of Abraham."

FD: I had NO idea that they were still relying that heavily on the BoA to "supplement" the Bible. I wonder if Gee has even attended a Sunday School class in recent years ... it seems like a lot of Mormon big-wigs find convenient ways to slip away during that hour of the block. It's hard to believe that if he were really aware of the church's Sunday School curriculum that he would have downplayed the BoA so enthusiastically and unequivocally!

Lester Burnham: "Re: ...and remember the phallus 'MIA' on facsimile #2"

FD: That whole "phallus affair" is truly entertaining (for an arrested adolescent like me, anyway!) What's REALLY funny is that when it made its sudden reappearance in recent editions of the BoA, it was apparent "Mr. Winky" was on "navel duty," protruding from the seated figure's STOMACH! Now, I'm not an expert on anatomy, but ... well, never mind! Anyway, if you would like to see this particular deity displayed in all his "anatomical correctness," click on this link (figure is upside-down between four and five o'clock):

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HydrocephalusWithChapter162FromTheBookOfTheDead-BritishMuseum-August21-08.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:51PM

they're getting the sheep ready for dumping the BOA

Date: February 19, 2011 03:45AM

Date: February 19, 2011 03:44AM

is missing twelve pages of text and three very goofy-bizarre illustrations. Will there be an announcement by the GAs first? Or will the BoA just "mysteriously" go missing? Whatever the case, all members of the church will surely be "counseled" to update their scriptures with the latest edition of the PoGP and not to engage in idle speculation as to the inspired actions of "God's prophets, seers and revelators." Soon thereafter, the Book of Abraham will be considered anti-Mormon propaganda as steadily it fades from the cult's collective memory.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 09:32AM

I'm old enough to remember when church leaders would tell us that the church stands or falls on the veracity of the BoM.

It was ca 1985 and coined by ETB

You don't hear such statements anymore either - they were pre-DNA lol.

Date: February 19, 2011 06:19PM

they certainly do their darnedest at damage control. But I guess there are some areas where they have chosen to no longer spend much time and energy and have fallen back on the "it's not important" or "the church is true, regardless" arguments! : )

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.