Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:15PM

I am catching a plane and flying to UTARD so we can attend the funeral of a friend. My wife tells me I have to wear a tie to his funeral. I got rid of all my suits, white shirts and ties when I realized TSCC is bogus and their dress code rules are horse shlt.

I hate ties, I hate white shirts, I do look good in an expensive suit.

I hate I have to buy and wear a tie just so I can sit in a TSCC chapel and hear them spit lies, ignore the man who died and try to convert the converted to their dumb religion.

The man who died was a saint but the rest of them are like flies on horse shlt.

I hope SLC is beautiful this time of year. Does anyone know what the weather will be like this weekend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:20PM

I have to wear a tie to work everyday. Sometimes Momos say "Ah man, you have to wear a tie six days a week, that is terrible." I always answer, "Nope, just five" then they get a really confused look on their face. Somehow wearing a tie to work doesn't bother me, but it always made me feel like I was choking when I had to wear one on a Sunday.

Weather this weekend should be just about perfect. Sunny and mid 70s for the high.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 03:40PM

Upper 70s today. This weekend is supposed to about 90.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:21PM

It's a shame that the Mormon church ruined for you the experience of wearing a suit and tie. Look at it this way -- every grown man should own at least one nice suit, dress shirt and tie. You never know when you will be attending a funeral, a wedding, going out to a nice restaurant, etc.

In your shoes I would wear a colored shirt. There is no real need for you to wear a white shirt. As long as the hues are somber it should work.

I'm sorry that your friend died and that you have to listen to a proselytizing funeral service.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:24PM

Whenever I wear a tie...it's with my black dress shirt. Much classier than white. Take the plunge...get a black dress shirt and a dark (even black) tie. And if it pisses off some Mormons...so much the better!

Ron Burr

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:24PM

I am sorry for the lost of your friend and I am glad that you are able to honor him by going to his funeral, but if you are not comfortable in a tie, then don't buy one. I am sure that what ever you have planned to wear will be well suited for the occasion.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:38PM

...don't do it......make a statement. Shirt w/tie are just symbols.....symbols of compliance.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 12:44PM

My hope for you is that the service is like what we planned for my very true believing husband: all the family participated, the talk on the gospel was the bishop's personal views (NOT offensive) and people came dressed in nice attire.

It was a beautiful tribute to him given by short talks by his adult children.

I can't tell you if all of the men wore a suit and tie.
I don't remember. Some might have. Some not.

I doubt anyone is going to care what you wear as long as it's conservative and not outrageous. It's a matter of respect to dress appropriately for any occasion.

So sorry for your loss. It's good that you can honor him by attending his funeral.

PS: I don't see any reason why you need to wear a tie, unless it's your wife's preference and then it's good to make her happy ...:-) You know the old saying: happy wife ---happy life!

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 01:02PM

who says you actually have to? A relative? You don't have to. funerals attract all kinds of inactive and non member friends and relatives. It is polite to dress up in some way, though. Wear your newest bib overalls, the ones without the stripes.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 01:33PM

I don't think I have ever been to a mormon funeral or wedding where there was not at least a couple of people NOT wearing ties.

Yes they stand out, but isn't that something you would like to do? ;-)

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 01:37PM

In fact, my current facebook pic, for those of you who are my FB friends, is me at a mormon wedding wearing a nice blue shirt, with no tie. I look like a cholo on easter. ;-)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 01:07AM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 02:02PM

I don't think you have to wear a tie to a funeral. Tell your wife I disagree and you can wear anything you want.

Or go to Goodwill and pick up a $2 tie.

Posted by: anatbrat ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 02:10PM

If you gotta wear a stupid tie...wear a REALLY STUPID tie. Buy one with the words to "We Are The World" inscribed on it. Or Charlie Brown playing the drums. Or a tie shaped like a guitar. Or one with a beach ball that makes you think in terms of steel drums.

Go big or go home, is my opinion.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 02:15PM

That's what I was going to say too - if you have to wear a tie make sure you get a really good one - maybe one with Cartman from Southpark. Or a rainbow colored one so you could subversively support gay rights. Or maybe one with a photo of President Obama. Or one with a big cross in the center.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 02:21PM

I just thought of the perfect tie to wear to TSCC functions. It would be an upside down cross with balls and a penis nailed to it.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 03:20PM

Omg I laughed out loud on that one! Seriously though I'd go with a black shirt and dark suit on funerals, no tie needed.

Posted by: PaintingintheWIN ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 03:07PM

Google it- well wait if you have to google it you probably cant wear it

The sexiest funeral ever was surrounded by cowboy hat pointed and square toe boot men hearing an idaho transplsnted girls man bring love odes by guitar one fine sad spring day some seven eight years back.

Wearing your theme sharing your dressed up authenticity brings tge flavor of uour love to your final - cowboy song or fisco dong or _________ song which you know your friend would sing along. Be your most dressed up authentic you

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 03:14PM

Many Mormon women wear pants to funerals even in the chapel and I wore them to my parents' funerals (not in the church). None of my brothers wore ties and none of my nephews. My BIL may have, but he would have been the only one. A tie is not necessary.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 03:37PM

The happiest husbands are those who let themselves be influenced by their wives.

So, wear the tie, but wear one that would have really pleased your deceased friend.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 07:57PM

Get a nice bow tie. Not too flashy. Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers.

Posted by: Fashion police ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 07:59PM

Too bad the Nation Of Islam ruined bow ties.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 12:56AM

The LDS get really unsettled by a Bow Tie.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 01:01AM

Really? I'll have to remember that ....

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 09:30PM

I have to wear a tie five days a week. I have about 200 plus or minus. There are only a few main types of suits but a multitude of available ties. They can say a lot about your mood and personality. I remember Ted Williams back in the fifties and how he would not wear a tie. As for me, sometimes I am the only tie-wearer in the church I attend. I am not a conformist. As a Mormon I would wear bright ties and shirts other than white.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 09:38PM

Be the eye candy for your wife! Ohh my hubby looks good in suite in tie.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: June 19, 2014 11:01PM

You could always go steampunk. French cuffs, celluloid collar, puff tie, stickpin, vest, pocketwatch and chain (black for mourning of course) bowler hat, ebony walking stick...

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 01:09AM

Posted by: saved by the board ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 01:56AM

wear a nice ascot......have a gay friend outfit you......or,go really crazy-Ren Faire?? Good Luck.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 02:03AM

Non Mormons and ex Mormons often don't follow the dress code at Mormon funerals. I have seen women in pants and both sexes in jeans. I wouldn't worry about it. Dress up a bit but skip the coat and tie if you don't have one. I doubt you will be alone.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 02:12AM

I attended a double Mormon funeral last Monday. A TBM couple 90 & 91 years old were both killed when the husband turned left across a 4 lane road and placed his eternal companion directly in the path of oncoming traffic. She was pronounced dead at the scene and he succumbed from his injuries the next day.

First Mormon service I've attended in 34 years. The deceased were truly decent and loving people and with lots of decent and loving progeny.

I wore khaki pants and a light blue dress shirt open at the collar. Several other nevermo friends of the family were dressed similarly.

The two hymns were waaaaaaay too long. The amount of time wasted singing too many too long hymns staggers the imagination.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 03:15AM

Great thread here.

When I separated from TSCC, I made a vow that I would never again wear a white dress shirt. I had half a dozen or so in my closet at the time. They went in the trash along with my garments.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: June 20, 2014 03:53AM

Don't let the morg control you. Reclaim the tie! Make it your own.

And ask yourself, "what kind of tie would he want me to wear to his funeral?" I don't mean to be insensitive. Most of my friends would be cool with me asking myself that. Or asking them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.